The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ)'s, where am I going with this, already built build

Background? Bought the truck in the fall of 2016. I wanted something mostly done. I have some mechanically know-how and a very small garage, but I'm far from a real mechanic or fabricator! So having something that needed welding or a lot of work was definitely out of the question. I wanted to enjoy the truck from the get go. Fast forward 15 months...the engine/trans needs a lot of work
So now, lets start some semblance of a build thread. I'll backdate the few things I've done. What i've discovered and what will ultimately happen as we go along here. Don't expect fast progress btw .

Couple of my pics over the past year:
Attached Images

Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Chris(NJ)

Re: Chris(NJ)'s, where am I going with this, already built build

The passenger window was cracked near the front corner. After pulling it out and scraping all of that junk, I know why the last couple owners ignored this repair! What a PIA! removed all of the old silicon, sanded the whole frame down, put some primer on it and painted it a flat black. Also reinstalled the new window using glass setting tape and new hardware. Another fun learning process lol
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

looks like you got a nice truck...welcome....
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
jjzepplin

I'm in!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Moose Monkey

Nice truck.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
BAM55

That first pic is just gorgeous.
BAM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
G&R's57GMC

Great Photo's You have an artist's eye .

Enjoy the truck and lear how to do mechanic stuff
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #8
Black_Sheep

That's already a sharp looking truck, what kind of changes are you planning?
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Chris(NJ)

THanks guys!
Black Sheep, The truck was mostly done, but I developed a trifecta of problems last month. Engine leaking oil, trans leaking oil and running like absolute ****. Not sure what happened yet so I need to diagnose that. Gonna make a separate post about that for some ideas. But, I want to figure out the next steps in an engine setup that's potentially a little more unique too and this may be a good opportunity. I have to research what I can fit in here w/ the stock frame. Otherwise, small stuff. Want to match the brakes up front to the rears. stupid stuff like that.

Here's a few more things I wound up having to fix after purchasing. Part of the problem w/ buying something sight unseen is that the seller always thinks everything is fine w/ the vehicle from their perspective lol.

The rear axle breather was puking fluid. Easy to pinpoint the problem and after researching it, come to find out this is a pretty common problem w/ this style breather. From what I saw, it was a common problem on later style Vette's. It's spring loaded and theoretically, once a couple pounds of pressure builds, it's supposed to vent it out. Problem with that is when it holds more pressure and lets a volcanic eruption of fluid out with it lol
I pulled a page out of my Tacoma playbook, sticking a union in the axle and running some fuel line up high w/ a 2 way breather on the end.

The other pic I attached was for the speedo ratio adapter. Before purchasing the truck, the previous owner told me it was an electronic speedometer and needed calibrating. It was off by 20% (reading higher than actual speed) Well...after buying it I crawled underneath and saw the cable attached to a ratio adapter that was plugged into the trans. Not at all electrical lol. Unplugged the ratio adapter and ran the cable straight into the trans. Problem solved. I'm only off by about 2 or 3mph depending on speed.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
Chris(NJ)

As I mentioned above, always look over a vehicle after buying it. You might find some random wires exposed, arching plug wires and stuff like that

The horn was also blown. Previous owner had it mounted really low, and after driving it home in the rain it shorted out. Mounted it as high as I could get it under that front air cowl thing. No problems since!

And a random shot of the rear suspension. just cuz.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Chris(NJ)

Been a while since I've updated this thread. Not much has been done other than maintenance stuff. Ok. A lot of maintenance stuff. Knocked out a few changes while I was at it too.

The truck originally had a transmission cooler tucked away in the frame rail, about 3" from the exhaust. Needless to say, it wasn't the most efficient location.
Swapped that thing out for B&M trans cooler, mounted up front where it should've been all along. Some proper lines tie them together too.

You can see the old cooler on the far right in the first pic....
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
Chris(NJ)

I'll get some more pics up later, but I also changed the carb from an edelbrock 750 to a Holley 600. All new front upper and lower control arms, bushings, SS brake lines, and new distributor. New steering rack was put in the truck, new brace for the steerer column where it goes through the firewall, New ground wires, raised the cross member for the transmission up about 1" for better ground clearance, removed the sway bar, and rebuilt the power steering pump.
I still need to swap out the water temp sending unit. When it's not 10000* outside, I'll do that. I'm probably leaving a few things out too
Old 07-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #13
paintman

Chris, where you at in NJ? From the one pic it looks like down the shore. I am N. West NJ Hunterdon County. Need anything let me know.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
Chris(NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Chris, where you at in NJ? From the one pic it looks like down the shore. I am N. West NJ Hunterdon County. Need anything let me know.
Thanks brotha..I'm about 40 minutes east of you in Union county. I bring the truck down the shore and surf when time, weather and waves permit
Old 02-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #15
Chris(NJ)

The latches in this truck have never been great. Original, barely catch on the the first few tries, etc. Same old story as with most of these.
So I adjusted my door to where everything lines up. I honestly do not believe this door can get any better alignment.

I took some measurements, made some marks and then removed the strike plate from the driver's side which would NOT allow the door to close on the strike-bolt. I took the passenger strike plate, turned it upside down so it fits on the driver side, bolted it in and made my mark to drill a new strike-bolt hole. I dropped the hole down 1/3" of an inch from where the original hole would've been. As you can see, the original hole is below the strike bolt in this picture. And if I ever want to use this plate on the passenger side all I need to do is unscrew it, put the strike bolt in the other hole and swap sides.

I think I nailed the alignment. As you can see, the strike bolt is hitting dead center of the latch. (I did the best I could w/ this picture....)

I made a little extra room for the bar that connects the interior door handle to the latch. Cut the outer section of the door skin and folded down the inner door skin. If I was really meticulous, I'd consider sealing that gap, but I'm not that anal.

Here's a vid of it closing. Don't mind the rattling. Still a lot of loose stuff in the door (window regulator, track, etc.).
https://youtu.be/nFR8Btt4ChA

Lastly, I had to now trim the interior panel since these latches sit inboard from the oem ones. Which meant I had to trim about 1/2" off the back edge. Pulled the material, re-glued and stapled.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #16
Chris(NJ)

Also started to lay down some new Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro. I had a bunch leftover from my Tacoma project so I figured I'd use it here.
Pulled up the center and passenger carpet and laid some down in there and up towards the dash. I have a few sheets left that I'll throw in the doors I think. But this was a good start. Not expecting much from it right now since I don't have a lot of coverage yet.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #17
Desert1957

Can you give the specs on the wheels and tires? Looks great!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #18
gigamanx

Nicely done on the latches. I got brand new original style ones and got them lined up real nice. Still had to slam those doors sometimes to get the ratchet to catch. These look much smoother!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #19
Chris(NJ)

Sorry guys, for some reason I didn't see a notification that there was replies to this thread. Anyway......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
Can you give the specs on the wheels and tires? Looks great!
The wheels are 15" American Racing Torq Thrust w/ MasterCraft Avenger Tires (235/70/15 on back, 215/70/15 up front)

I should really spend a minute and type out the mods to the truck up in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Nicely done on the latches. I got brand new original style ones and got them lined up real nice. Still had to slam those doors sometimes to get the ratchet to catch. These look much smoother!
Thanks! Took some time to get them dialed in, but love them. Although still can't get the gf to stop slamming her door, as much as I tell her it's not necessary any more
Old 07-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #20
Chris(NJ)

Noticed a whole lot of fuel leaking from under the truck a couple days ago. This was after filling up and parking on an incline. Sending unit's gasket is toast! Pulled the bed out to make life easier. I want to see if NAPA has a gasket otherwise I need to order one. Straight forward replacement once I get the part. I just need to drive around to burn some fuel so it's easier to lower and raise
On a side note, am I the only one who thinks not having the sending unit and pump accessible w/o having to drop the tank is crazy? (thats a rhetorical question) I would rather lift a couple bed panels every time. It'd make life even easier if I had a bed like those guys w/ the raised bed that lifts as one piece. Makes maintenance even easier yet! ANyway, I digress.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #21
joedoh

great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
On a side note, am I the only one who thinks not having the sending unit and pump accessible w/o having to drop the tank is crazy? (thats a rhetorical question)
not rhetorical at all, I think it has to do with the effort needed to make the bed lift vs the effort needed to pull the bed when you have a problem. I can get a bed loose in under 15 minutes, and where my fuel sender/pickup is located (front drivers side) a tilt bed would only make it slightly more accessible. tilt beds are cool, but I havent ever seen one that lifts high enough to make working under it easier for anything further forward than the very back.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #22
Chris(NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
great stuff!

not rhetorical at all, I think it has to do with the effort needed to make the bed lift vs the effort needed to pull the bed when you have a problem. I can get a bed loose in under 15 minutes, and where my fuel sender/pickup is located (front drivers side) a tilt bed would only make it slightly more accessible. tilt beds are cool, but I havent ever seen one that lifts high enough to make working under it easier for anything further forward than the very back.
I haven't actually seen one of those tilt beds in person, so I'm sure you're right and that it doesn't give a whole lot of access. As I was wiping down the truck I spent some time thinking about something similar though. Is what I have vs what would make life easier (in this case, lets say, a different gas tank w/ the 2 units further forward of the cross member), worth the cost when taking in to consideration how many times I really need to access them. Or do I leave it as-is and take the extra time to simply undo 1 wire, 2 hoses and 4 bolts, and save hundreds of dollars. Just thinking out loud, really.
But it's the people who think of this stuff ahead of time and go through the effort of addressing details like this, that I give credit to. That's what really separates some builders.
What gas tank are you running? Any pics of your setup?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #23
joedoh

I use s10 chassis.

I did a 65 on an s10 chassis and tilted the whole bed, THAT worked nice.

IMG_8306 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #24
dsraven

Chris(NJ)
have you thought about some heat shielding on the exhaust pipes near the fuel tank? maybe even just a slice off a larger pipe with a couple of spacers that could be clamped to the existing pipe. like a heat shield on a motorcycle exhaust pipe. like this link but bigger, obviously.

https://shopee.ph/Universal-Motorcyc...596.2118207189
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #25
Chris(NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Chris(NJ)
have you thought about some heat shielding on the exhaust pipes near the fuel tank? maybe even just a slice off a larger pipe with a couple of spacers that could be clamped to the existing pipe. like a heat shield on a motorcycle exhaust pipe. like this link but bigger, obviously.

https://shopee.ph/Universal-Motorcyc...596.2118207189
Yea, I've definitely thought about doing it. With the bed off the truck right now it's given me an opportunity to poke around back there and I see some things I want to address. As a side note, the vent line, imo, needs to sit up higher and the hose has way too much of a bend in it, so much that it even dips below the level of the top of the tank. To me, I feel like that leaves the chance for fuel to get in there and block the vent line from doing an efficient job.
Beyond that and with the truck running, I really don't feel a lot of radiant heat coming off the pipes. I (reluctantly, and carefully) felt close to the pipes near the tank and fuel lines and do not think it is nearly as bad as I had expected. But common sense tells me I should prevent as much heat as possible from attacking the fuel lines. This is especially bad up front in the engine bay and where the fuel line runs along the frame rail to the pump.
In the back though, I was thinking about maybe sticking on some of that heat reflective adhesive on the sides of the tank closest to the pipes. Like this... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...caAkzlEALw_wcB

So where does that leave me. Well, this is exhaust is in one piece. I appreciate that it doesn't leave any room for an exhaust leak, but if I knew how to weld, I would honestly cut it right by the muffler and have the pieces ceramic coated. I would prefer that over wrapping the pipe. A lot of varying opinions on heat wrap and every time I go to pull the trigger on some wrap, I read something that convinces me otherwise, or someone talks me out of it.

Am I over-analyzing this? Or do you guys think I should put something on the pipes and ceramic coat the stock cast manifolds to keep heat to a minimum?