The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
doowoppwer

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

certainly a lot of creativity. thanks for sharing. roger
doowoppwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverter View Post
StitchMaster. Beautiful approach for that transition.
Are you using rolocs for finish work ?
Thanks for the compliments, I spent a while thinking on this one before somewhat luckily landing on this solution. For metal finishing, I use a combination of 3” cutoff wheel on a die grinder to knock the heads off of the beads, then 4.5” flap wheel on an angle grinder, to bring them flush with the surrounding metal, then a 6” sanding disc on a DA to make it all purty. Rolocs, die grinding stones, and hammer/dolly all play their role as well, depending on the shapes and angles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doowoppwer View Post
certainly a lot of creativity. thanks for sharing. roger
Thanks Roger, I’ve learned most of what I know by watching others (many on this forum), which gives me the confidence to try new things. I hope by sharing that I can pass it on. Also makes me up my game, knowing people will be looking at my work. If not for posting here, this thing might be all bailing wire and duct tape

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
If not for posting here, this thing might be all bailing wire and duct tape
That's hilarious! I know what you mean, my daily driver has all kinds of half_fast "repairs"... why you ask?... because the problem was solved and no one has to look at it but me.

Every now and again I have to re-attach the dangling wires barely twisted together in the passenger side floorboard from one of these "I'll get to it later" style fixes.

I do like it when guys post their not so great work. Seeing someone else's sub-par work gives me the warm fuzzies, it makes me feel a little less Sanford and Son-ish.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
cornerstone

How much clearance are you allowing around the tightest places for your driveshaft? I'm in the middle of this now also and not sure if I should trim my cab floor also. It looks like I've got about 3/4 of an inch after I install my driveshaft.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
How much clearance are you allowing around the tightest places for your driveshaft? I'm in the middle of this now also and not sure if I should trim my cab floor also. It looks like I've got about 3/4 of an inch after I install my driveshaft.
Bottom the suspension out completely & make sure the d.shaft doesn't contact anything. If it does, trim things back until it doesn't. I usually build things w/a 1/8" thick (yard stick) spacer to pad my clearances.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Bottom the suspension out completely & make sure the d.shaft doesn't contact anything. If it does, trim things back until it doesn't. I usually build things w/a 1/8" thick (yard stick) spacer to pad my clearances.
Thanks Scoti, that sounds like solid advice. I was thinking I'd need at least an inch, but I like your plan better.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Quote:
Thanks Scoti, that sounds like solid advice. I was thinking I'd need at least an inch, but I like your plan better.
I buried mine on the bumpstops then allowed minimum 3/8” all around. I like a little bit of wiggle room and am saving space for a possible driveshaft safety loop. I think if you have 3/4” of space, you are way good.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 04-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #8
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Hump is done. Not metal-worked to perfection, but doesn’t need to be. I got her finish welded and knocked down smooth, shot with a coat of self-etch on the top and undercoated the bottom, then bolted her in with a bead of window weld cord to seal. Looks and fits like it belongs and has taken the first layer of sound deadener.
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
SCOTI

Well done.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote