The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #1
SCOTI

Auto Tilt Lower Column Bearing

I have a 6x-72 era auto tilt column that required shortening for my custom application. I got the housing + shift tube whittled down to the length I need & ordered a 'new' lower column bearing kit from Crown Products (it's what popped up during my Google search) from Summit. In my search, I had 3/4" shaft included & it found #4487696K as the kit I needed. I looked it up & the consensus was it's a Jeep part that's common w/GM columns so I thought I found what I needed.

I got the part in & it's for a 1" shaft vs. the 3/4" I have. The bearing has no P/N etched into it & I'm not sure what 'type' of bearing it's technically called to help w/further searches.

Basically, I need the same outer dimensions w/a 3/4" ID. Any info/insight available?
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Auto Tilt Lower Column Bearing

If you can’t find the correct bearing,... could you machine a 3/4” x 1” bushing instead?
Surely the correct bearing is out there.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
A1971Blazer

I'll PM you the phone number of a guy who rebuilds columns
He may be able to help
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
If you can’t find the correct bearing,... could you machine a 3/4” x 1” bushing instead?
Surely the correct bearing is out there.
Yes. Machining some Delrin or a bronze bushing could be done but I figured it's possible someone has been down this rabbit hole & knows of the bearing needed w/o purchasing some $100 'kit for classics'.

I was originally hoping/planning on the CPP 'Column Saver' kit to clean-up the end of the column based on the final product Gringoloco completed for his truck. But, by the time I trimmed the outer column housing & the shift tube to length, there does not appear to be enough material (& my plan was to even trim that set-up shorter). I've found alternative options but they were mainly for guys modding floor shift columns so their method may/may not work since the end of my column tube & shift fork are in close proximity.

Keeping it simple sounds appealing @ this time so I need to do due diligence finding a possible alternate bearing before moving on to custom.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-22-2021, 12:51 AM   #5
chev-obsession

I was recently looking for the same bearing with no luck. Let us know what you find out
Old 01-22-2021, 02:31 AM   #6
70shortfleet

you need to buy this kit and it will have your bearing in it. AC Delco GM part number 3981935
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
you need to buy this kit and it will have your bearing in it. AC Delco GM part number 3981935
I googled the p/n. At $40, that's a better price than what I've been finding for the 4pc 'kit' marketed for classics.

The kit I purchased from Crown for <$20 would work except the bearing is the wrong ID. Seems weird the correct size bearing is 2x the price of the Crown kit on the budget end & as high as $90ish on the higher end (some were even more). Thanks for that info. I was going to reach out to you but wanted to do the basic searching/homework before bothering someone.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-22-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Auto Tilt Lower Column Bearing

Summit has this kit also. ACDelco GM OE Steering Shaft Components 3981935
$31.99 so it says but only fits 82 and up. So my question has anyone bought it and tried it, did it fit?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-3981935
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Summit has this kit also. ACDelco GM OE Steering Shaft Components 3981935
$31.99 so it says but only fits 82 and up. So my question has anyone bought it and tried it, did it fit?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-3981935
Well, The kit I purchased from Crown said from late 60's on up through the 90's but the bearing is a 1" ID. When I tried to find the .750" ID size is where I found many (most) marketed stuff wants to know what vehicle you're working with & tells you yes/no if it will work.

Since there are different shaft diameters, it would be better to confirm the bearing ID vs. an online source saying "it will fit".
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Auto Tilt Lower Column Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Well, The kit I purchased from Crown said from late 60's on up through the 90's but the bearing is a 1" ID. When I tried to find the .750" ID size is where I found many (most) marketed stuff wants to know what vehicle you're working with & tells you yes/no if it will work.

Since there are different shaft diameters, it would be better to confirm the bearing ID vs. an online source saying "it will fit".
Agree, I looked at several sites. 3/4" ID = 19mm which is a tad under 3/4".
OD 1" = 25.4mm. I think if you could find one it would work but finding it is seeming to be the problem. All the 3/4" ID bearings I found had a 1-3/8" OD.

I chatted with Lily bearing tech support. He said he would be back in touch with me Monday on a answer to this bearing.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 01-22-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:08 AM   #11
SCOTI

I went to a local bearing house this afternoon & they said I'm not going to find a bearing to fit that plastic insert. They said I could convert to a full size bearing set-up though (eliminating the OE arrangement) but would have to figure out the way to secure it in place.

He recommended the path I was expecting to take if they couldn't help:
A) Find a bushing for the 1" to 3/4" gap to use the 'new' bearing.
B) Clean & lube the old bearing w/the new plastic insert (he agreed w/me that the new bearing feels like a piece of crap vs the 40yr old bearing).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Auto Tilt Lower Column Bearing

That probably will be the best way to go. Lily bearings make custom size bearing. It maybe worth seeing how much they charge to make say 10-20 of them and sale. I'd be interested in a few for my 2 columns.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 01-26-2021, 10:24 AM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Well here is what I got back. What do you think SCOTI?

Dear Andy Fisher,

Thank you for your inquiry,We appreciate your interest in our company very much.

According to your demand, we would be pleased to help you.
According to the size, we can provide and also have made this size, 3/4" ID, 1" OD, 5/32" Width.
We have checked your picture and can confirm that this is a full complement ceramic ball bearing . Can I confirm with you about the material of the inner and outer rings? This also looks like ceramic material. Please confirm.

The cost of ceramic bearings is relatively high. What is your budget for each bearing? Maybe we can provide more suggestions.

Please feel free to contact me If you have any questions.
I'm looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,

Mila Lv
sales9@lily-bearing.com
Teal:86-21-54331360
86-21-51028316 ext:8028
Fax:86-21-51010235

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 01-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Well here is what I got back. What do you think SCOTI?

Dear Andy Fisher,

Thank you for your inquiry,We appreciate your interest in our company very much.

According to your demand, we would be pleased to help you.
According to the size, we can provide and also have made this size, 3/4" ID, 1" OD, 5/32" Width.
We have checked your picture and can confirm that this is a full complement ceramic ball bearing . Can I confirm with you about the material of the inner and outer rings? This also looks like ceramic material. Please confirm.

The cost of ceramic bearings is relatively high. What is your budget for each bearing? Maybe we can provide more suggestions.

Please feel free to contact me If you have any questions.
I'm looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,

Mila Lv
sales9@lily-bearing.com
Teal:86-21-54331360
86-21-51028316 ext:8028
Fax:86-21-51010235
I'll include my PM response to Andy4639 here for others to weigh in on....

I checked Lily out online after reading your thread reply but didn't see anything specific & figured it would require a more detailed inquiry. Thanks for reaching out to them.
Interesting reply from them & I'm curious what they consider as "relatively high"?

If it's a plug & play bearing that can be used w/the rebuild kits other parts, it may be worth the cost. But, there are rebuild kits out there already for $70-$90. I didn't purchase one of them for the exact reason I'm unhappy w/what I did purchase (spending almost $100 for crap parts vs. $30). At least w/the kit I got the plastic piece & retainer clip justifies the ~$30 price. It was a gamble hoping the bearing was decent. I didn't expect it to be the wrong size as well as being poor quality.

What would you be willing to pay for a plug & play bearing? $20-30ea (per bearing)?

I will also include the info that Summit Racing sent me a follow-up e-mail as a result of my 'product review' that was requested & posted to their site for the "Made in USA" Crown 4487696K Lower Bearing Kit. They asked if I would like to return the kit for a full refund since it has not been installed. My original plastic retaining piece is broken & there was no spring clip on my set-up so I still need those pieces & will keep what I paid for. My original bearing feels fine w/just a quick/mild cleaning (& w/o lube) so it will work if a decently priced alternative can't be sourced. Others may not be as lucky as I was in this instance so having a known quality source on a 'plug & play' bearing would be a benefit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-26-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
68 P.O.S.

I assume this will work since it says tilt or non-tilt: https://www.ecklers.com/chevy-or-gmc...-340085-1.html

Edit: Unfortunately it says out of stock

I stopped by Classic Heartbeat and talked to Wes a few months ago looking for column bearings. He was out of stock and said the bearings, uppers and lowers, were all on backorder.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 01-26-2021 at 01:11 PM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
I assume this will work since it says tilt or non-tilt: https://www.ecklers.com/chevy-or-gmc...-340085-1.html

Edit: Unfortunately it says out of stock

I stopped by Classic Heartbeat and talked to Wes a few months ago looking for column bearings. He was out of stock and said the bearings, uppers and lowers, were all on backorder.
That was a common thing when I searched (out of stock). Also, they list all these trucks it will work for yet the 'kit' I got said the same thing & has a 1" ID bearing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #17
SCOTI

So this was a follow-up response about the lower bearing inquiry sent to board member Andy4639 & forwarded to me:

Quote:
Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response.
We do not have full ceramic materials in stock, and need to produce these.but ordinary steel materials are available and the price is lower.

The following price for 10pcs for your reference, hope to make sense to you.

3/4" ID, 1" OD, 5/32" Width Si3N4 ceramic bearing , 10pcs , US$28/pc. 2~3 weeks lead time
3/4" ID, 1" OD, 5/32" Width standard steel bearing, 10pcs, US$6.5/pc, 3 days lead time

Free shipping

We are looking forward to your reply.
Would anyone care to chime in?
Would anyone want a higher-end ceramic bearing over a steel unit?
What do you think of the price break-down for the small production batches?

Please advise.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-27-2021, 10:15 AM   #18
68 P.O.S.

Did you ever get this figured out? Classic Parts of America has them in stock. Just got my upper and lower bearings in yesterday.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Did you ever get this figured out? Classic Parts of America has them in stock. Just got my upper and lower bearings in yesterday.
Nope. I went back to Andy for his feedback & never got any follow-up.

My lower bearing (& upper) worked fine w/some clean-up & fresh grease. The original lower column bearing was light years better vs. the aftermarket part I purchased.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG