The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2021, 11:40 PM   #1
03BlkZ

Changing oil pan gasket

My 70 C10 with a 350 and 3 speed transmission has developed and oil leak from the pan. I decided to try and change it so I bought the 1 piece felpro gasket and went to work. I removed the flywheel cover and the pan bolts. It was obvious at that point that I needed to jack the engine. I cautiously jacked the engine using a 4x4 on the balancer like others have said to do. After taking the mount bolts out and loosening the transmission bellhousing mount bolts I was able to get the engine jacked approximately 2 inches. It still would not come out. I need the front to come up another inch to be able to get the rear of the pan to clear the flywheel. How high do most people jack their engine. I was afraid to take the transmission bellhousing bolts all the way out because what would keep the engine from wanting to lay over. Maybe I am over thinking it. Thoughts?
03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:02 AM   #2
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Changing oil pan gasket

I just went through this myself. It’s a pain.

You can lift it more than you think but watch the fan shroud. I did not loosen the bell housing at all. Just the motor mounts, exhaust, fan shroud, trans mount, and maybe the upper rad hose. Once elevated, I used some 2x2 box section under the motor mounts. I had to lift it many times, as I was also replacing the motor mounts. It’s a big job on your back. Take your time and it will work out. Watch your hands when working under the engine, you really have to get in there to get the pan where you want it and you wouldn’t want the engine to come crashing down.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:01 AM   #3
franken

You might want to search the internet. I changed the gasket on a 71 Camaro by removing the distributor cap, rotating the crank to ? piston up, and unbolting the fan shroud for clearance.
Searching the internet provides answers in a second while posting and waiting provides opinions in hours.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:25 AM   #4
Roostre

I did my oil pan gasket in the truck twice because I kept getting the wrong one. I have an aftermarket pan on a 67 motor, and kept trying to put the 67 gasket in when the pan required the newer style gasket. Make sure you have the crank shaft in the right position to get the pan out under the counter weights. I used a cherry picker from the top and removed all of the mount bolts. You may get more height if you get another jack under the transmission and then completely remove the bellhousing mount bolts. You're already using the felpro one piece gasket, so you're already taking my last piece of advice.
Good luck and if I can do it, so can you.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
You might want to search the internet. I changed the gasket on a 71 Camaro by removing the distributor cap, rotating the crank to ? piston up, and unbolting the fan shroud for clearance.
Searching the internet provides answers in a second while posting and waiting provides opinions in hours.
I think the Cameron my be a little different set up than a 70 C10. The shape of the pan and the crossmember clearance is no way possible to remove it unless I remove my clutch and flywheel. Maybe the it would come out easily.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
I just went through this myself. It’s a pain.

You can lift it more than you think but watch the fan shroud. I did not loosen the bell housing at all. Just the motor mounts, exhaust, fan shroud, trans mount, and maybe the upper rad hose. Once elevated, I used some 2x2 box section under the motor mounts. I had to lift it many times, as I was also replacing the motor mounts. It’s a big job on your back. Take your time and it will work out. Watch your hands when working under the engine, you really have to get in there to get the pan where you want it and you wouldn’t want the engine to come crashing down.
I guess bellhousing bolts was not the right term. I loosened the 2 trans mounts but was afraid to remove them completely not knowing it'll the engine could shift over.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
Willys_MB

If you’re going to go to all this trouble, you’ve got the right idea to install a silicone one piece oil pan gasket. You’ll never regret it. It’s possible to do in the truck, but as you’ve read, it’s a real chore.

I went with the silicone one piece gasket and I am so glad I did
Old 09-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

Make sure the counterweight on the front part of the engine, just inside the pan is in the upper position.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
03BlkZ

So work has been hectic and I have the week off for vacation. I was finally able to work on it and was successful in removing the pan. I ended up having to remove my headers because the long tubes were hitting the transmission crossmember and not allowing the engine to go high enough. I put the new gasket on and reinstalled the pan and torqued the bolts the got the transmission and motor mounts re installed. I will work on it this week and finish buttoning it up. I really hope this works because this has been a total pain in the ass. There are a couple of car shows coming up over the next few weeks and I want the truck ready for them. Thanks for the help. And fingers crossed the leak is gone.