The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
TX3100Guy

Re: LED Headlight issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
i just put jeep lights in my 54, there is definitely some trimming of the headlight holder (not the bucket) but its not a lot. the jeep lights are deeper shallower, if that makes sense? the area at the ring is thicker top and bottom and the bulb area a little too, but I really like the fishbowl look!
When you say Jeep headlights. Are they normal elements, halogen, LED? Since I've already opened up the reflector (silver section that the bulb mounts to) I could fit a slightly deeper bulb, but if it won't fit into the black bowl that attaches to the fender then I'm not going to alter it.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:21 AM   #2
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
When you say Jeep headlights. Are they normal elements, halogen, LED? Since I've already opened up the reflector (silver section that the bulb mounts to) I could fit a slightly deeper bulb, but if it won't fit into the black bowl that attaches to the fender then I'm not going to alter it.

jeep wranglers came/come with classic size 7" headlights that can be replaced just like old sealed beams do, but with replaceable H13 (high low) bulbs.

I am sure you can get any kind of led or HID replacement for them but the thing is, the reflectors of headlights are usually optimized for the light pattern of the H13 bulb and any replacement will "glare" (extra light where there wasnt extra light) which doesnt blind but does absolutely annoy.

if you look around for jeep LED headlights you can probably find some of the segmented alien eye/halo equipped lights for wranglers that may fit better. another one to look for is hummer H1, they had standard 7" lights too and they made a lot of aftermarket upgrades for them. I still have a set of sylvania xenarc 7" kicking around, those were GREAT lights.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:47 PM   #3
leegreen

If you google 'H4 headlights with turn signal' you will find options like this
https://www.cip1.ca/c11-31378/
or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...MaAuEMEALw_wcB
or
https://www.gearheadworld.com/store/...12-P11164.aspx

the first link shows the back side and it appears may fit your current reflector cutout.

Not sure if the yellow LEDs would show up with the low beam on or if you'd need a way to turn off one headlight when the turn signals were on. -Without thinking too hard about it, I think you could do that with a time delay relay triggered by each turn signal and running the ground for that side headlight through the normally closed side of the relay, set a short delay like 2 turn flashes so the headlight ground interrupts whenever the turn signals go on but does not flash with the turn signal.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:50 PM   #4
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
If you google 'H4 headlights with turn signal' you will find options like this
https://www.cip1.ca/c11-31378/
or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...MaAuEMEALw_wcB
or
https://www.gearheadworld.com/store/...12-P11164.aspx

the first link shows the back side and it appears may fit your current reflector cutout.

Not sure if the yellow LEDs would show up with the low beam on or if you'd need a way to turn off one headlight when the turn signals were on. -Without thinking too hard about it, I think you could do that with a time delay relay triggered by each turn signal and running the ground for that side headlight through the normally closed side of the relay, set a short delay like 2 turn flashes so the headlight ground interrupts whenever the turn signals go on but does not flash with the turn signal.
Thanks for the work. I think I like the blue dot version at gear head world!

Old 06-05-2023, 04:32 PM   #5
TX3100Guy

After further discussion with my most critical truck critic (my son). I've decided to use the stock headlights for now and insert the chrome parking/turn signal light fixture into the grille.

My question is this, has anyone found a dual element bulb (or preferably LED) fixture that has an amber turn bulb, but clear parking element/bulb?

Old 06-05-2023, 05:03 PM   #6
leegreen

For Bulbs, the whole bulb is colored amber or clear.

For LEDs, google '1157 amber white LED' and you will find many options. How you tell if the LEDs are any good is another question.
I bought some moderately expensive and very well reviewed LED 1157 but they were noticeably dimmer than $1 old school 1157 bulbs. I'm running bulbs for now, may never change.

I like the look of amber park lights, looks kinda mean.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  40.9 KB
Old 06-05-2023, 05:16 PM   #7
leegreen

to add to that, you have to replace the bulb holder in the front lights if they are still single element park only from factory, or buy repops that are already dual element
Old 06-06-2023, 10:52 AM   #8
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3100Guy View Post
After further discussion with my most critical truck critic (my son). I've decided to use the stock headlights for now and insert the chrome parking/turn signal light fixture into the grille.

My question is this, has anyone found a dual element bulb (or preferably LED) fixture that has an amber turn bulb, but clear parking element/bulb?
I modified the housing and put two small LED Bulbs in it. I bought the pigtails off ebay if I remember correctly. I screwed/sealed a flat piece of metal with the two holes that I drilled out to accept the LED bulbs to the back. I wish I would have taken a picture.

Project "LS Scout" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844133
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28TudorAZ View Post
I modified the housing and put two small LED Bulbs in it. I bought the pigtails off ebay if I remember correctly. I screwed/sealed a flat piece of metal with the two holes that I drilled out to accept the LED bulbs to the back. I wish I would have taken a picture.
After realizing that the LED's I purchased on Amazon were projector style (I missed that), I plan on returning them. Instead, I purchased a set switchback style that are non-projector style off of SuperBrightLEDs.com. I've bought from them before and have always been happy with their products.