The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2023, 08:02 PM   #1
Jcfcamaro

1971/72 c10 throttle cable to 4x4

Just wanted to post some info on the 1971/72 Carburetor throttle cable. As many of you already know the 71/72 throttle cable is alot longer then the 4x4 cable and it's a little harder to find a 4x4 cable. I know they sell reproduction and the 4x4 I bought fit fine but when hooked up it sounded like the cable was frayed when pushing on the gas pedal. Tried grease ,didn't help so I tried graphite powder with no positive results. The cable was fine just bad engineering I guess. So here's where it gets productive, why not try to shorten one of my C10 cables to a 4x4 length. Well after working on it here and there I can say it can be done and wasn't too bad. Here's a run down how I did it. I cut the cable at the firewall fitting leaving a inch or so sticking out. Then the fun part of getting the cable/housing out of the plastic fitting. Pulled the cables out with pliers and used drill bits to drill out the remainder size Stepping up a little at a time until I could dig the rest out with a pick. Then I cut the 2 good pieces to match the 4x4 cable I already had. Next step was trying to find a new barrel/ swage clamp to match the factory one which so far seems non existent. I ended up ordering some crimp barrels/swage clamps but they don't have the diameter to match the plastic piece that snaps into the gas peddle hole so I ended up drilling out the old cable strains from the factory barrel/swage and reusing it and adding one of the smaller barrels behind it as extra grip. Just thought I would post this if anyone else needs a factory cable shortened.
Attached Images

Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:11 PM   #2
Jcfcamaro

Re: 1971/72 c10 throttle cable to 4x4

I should add that this cable has been installed and works perfectly and is nice and quiet like they should be. Now maybe when I bought a new 4x4 cable I just got a lemon but after trying to buy a factory oem cable with no luck this seemed to be my only option. Hope this helps some of you.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote