The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2024, 01:02 AM   #1
SGLTRK

Clutch pedal question

Hi All,

I have a '68 C10 pickup with a small block/turbo 400 that I'm swapping to a manual trans. I just got the clutch/brake pedal assembly in today. It has a lever
arm (?) that is located to the right of the brake pedal but is mounted to the clutch pedal shaft a moves with the clutch pedal. Is this an attachment point for the stock "Z" bar linkage?

Thanks
SGLTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 03:34 AM   #2
samert111

Re: Clutch pedal question

Yes, that is the way my conversion from an auto to manual looks like. There should be a push rod assy that goes on the shaft and thru the firewall to the Z bar.

What are you doing for a neutral safety switch?

With this conversion you may find that the clutch pedal is 3-4" higher than the brake pedal which makes it awkward to operate the clutch with the stock 17" steering wheel.

I had to modify my pedal stop with a bolt and jamb nuts and adjust the pedal stop lower in-line with the brake pedal, which then messed up my clutch adjustments and to get enough pedal travel I had to remove my conversion neutral safety switch on the floor and bypass it. Now it's like the old days, just make sure the trans is in neutral or push the clutch in to start the engine.
samert111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 06:33 AM   #3
SGLTRK

Re: Clutch pedal question

Thanks Samert111.

I have dealt with "Z" bar manual linkage before but always in cars. With those the link bar goes directly from the pedal to the left end of the "Z" bar. Oppisite of the truck setup appearently. I'm going with a hydraulic clutch release so I'm eleminating the whole "Z" bar system. I'm not concerned with a neutral safety switch. They didn't exist when I started driving and I've never seen a need for them. Thanks again for the verification.
SGLTRK is offline   Reply With Quote