The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #351
881ton

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

You do some really nice work!!! A fanatic for detail I like it. truck is going to be sweet!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #352
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 881ton View Post
You do some really nice work!!! A fanatic for detail I like it. truck is going to be sweet!
That's funny Rob. I've read your build thread several times taking in all the details. I was thinking that same thing about you.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #353
Tx Firefighter

I just ordered some wiring stuff to finish the bed light wiring project. These will allow me to categorize the wiring for left, right, running light, etc. in a very sanitary manner.

They're cool little boxes with different grommeted outlets around the edge. I can run my main harness into it, then branch off to both sides of the bed, rear of bed, and trailer light wiring. All without having to solder a lot of wires together in one big bundle.

I'm also going to stop by the trailer supply house on the way home in the morning and buy new grommets for my lights. The truck has decent LED lights in all the spots on the bed, but the grommets are hating life. My trailer supply house has them for a dollar each.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 11-03-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #354
83GMCK2500

Awesome junction boxes! I know in the newer trucks they carry the main harness back to a box similar to that, fastened to the frame and then depending on cab/box/bed config they plug different lighting harnesses into it. Also camper/trailer. I had been thinking about doing that with my truck and I like what you are using.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #355
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Awesome junction boxes! I know in the newer trucks they carry the main harness back to a box similar to that, fastened to the frame and then depending on cab/box/bed config they plug different lighting harnesses into it. Also camper/trailer. I had been thinking about doing that with my truck and I like what you are using.
If you look closely at the picture you can just make out the rubber plugs on each side to allow wire access. I figure I'll run my inputs from the truck harness in the bottom and my outputs to the left and right sides of the bed out each respective side. Then, the trailer light plug and center lights on the back of the bed out the top. Everything should be sanitary with crimped and heat shrunk connectors all lined up nicely. Then the protective cover screwed onto the box to protect it from exposure.

I'm definitely getting slower as I get older. I've been scratching my head for a week now trying to figure out a good way of doing this, then I finally order the box and will have to wait another week to get it delivered. Most guys would get under there with their crimpers and electrical tape and have that thing all wired up in short order.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #356
Tx Firefighter

I swung by my local trailer supply house this morning and got new grommets for my bed lights. I'm hoping to make everything electrical completely bombproof on this truck. Anyway, I'm waiting for my junction blocks to be shipped so I might as well do what I can in the mean time. .

New grommets for my LED bed lights were absolutely stupid cheap.

That's 9 grommets for $5.06, out the door, including tax. The round ones were .42 each and the oval ones .87 each. What a deal. No more loose fitting lights.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #357
Tx Firefighter

I'm almost done with the motorcycle and back to working on the dually.

I just need to go buy a gallon of gas to put in it, start it, and work out any bugs that pop up. One huge milestone is that the electrical system seems to work perfectly so far. That's saying a lot for a bike that spent some time submerged in the Gulf of Mexico.

In the mean time, I've still been gathering parts for the dually. I need a steering column and bought one from a board member. It arrived yesterday. Its rougher than I was hoping. Shouldn't be anything to get upset over, but I'll need to blow it all apart and refurbish it completely.

Soon, I promise, back to the dually full speed ahead.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #358
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

The bike is awesome, not that I expected any different. Is that a 600?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #359
flashed

Tex ,that bike turned out great ,the owner will be proud of it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #360
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
The bike is awesome, not that I expected any different. Is that a 600?
Its a 250cc. The owner is quite attached to it after 31 years. We discussed the financial outlay up front and what the final value would be. He is very willing to restore it no matter how profitable or not the venture was. That's 14 months of work I have in it. He fronted all of the parts. I'd find what I need, send him an email and a few days later the UPS man would come down my driveway. He's been a fantastic guy to work for. Many times I'd grind to a halt with some insurmountable problem and he'd wait patiently by until I wrapped my mind around it and figured out a solution. Just a wonderful guy to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Tex ,that bike turned out great ,the owner will be proud of it .
I sure hope so. I think its ready for a slosh of gasoline and a kick start. For some reason I'm just walking around it again and again touching up little things instead of going to town with my gas can. I guess I'm kind of skeert to try and start it. I'm gonna sleep on it tonight and then do it tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #361
tekin112000

The bike looks awesom, but I will be glad to see you getting back to work on the truck.

You do such great work it's always interesting to see what you are up to
tekin112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #362
Low Elco

Looks terrific! Thats actually kinda what Ive been lookin for!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #363
Greenlee

The bike looks fantastic!

How much do you know about the electrical system on those old Honda's? I have a 1983 Honda c70 and the magneto or whatever it's called seems to be crapping out. I usually have to push start the bike for it to spin fast enough to get spark and start. Mine hasn't even been in the Gulf of Mexico as far as I know, although I live pretty close to it!

Sorry to take your thread further off topic! To bring the discussing back in the right direction, I will say the truck sure is looking good too!
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #364
Tx Firefighter

Greenlee, let me research that. I did a ton of CT70 restoration work so I have all manuals and basically everything. I'll get back to you on that.

I knew I'd be sitting on the couch tonight, trying to be a good husband but acting crabby and distracted, snapping at my wife, if I didn't go ahead and get it over with.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps1d572bb2.mp4

Video of the bike's first start....
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #365
Greenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Greenlee, let me research that. I did a ton of CT70 restoration work so I have all manuals and basically everything. I'll get back to you on that.

I knew I'd be sitting on the couch tonight, trying to be a good husband but acting crabby and distracted, snapping at my wife, if I didn't go ahead and get it over with.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps1d572bb2.mp4

Video of the bike's first start....
I appreciate any input on the magneto issue!

Looks like it's running good! Did your wife make those Honda stickers? Looks great!
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #366
Tx Firefighter

Today was a huge day. The restoration project went home with its owner.

Its dually time now !
Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #367
Tx Firefighter

FedEx just delivered a package I've been waiting for. This was a "short money" week for my truck budget, so not a lot of bad assedness. One step closer though. I'm gonna order the last two tires and some other stuff tomorrow.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #368
881ton

Really nice job! You my friend are talented. Can't wait to see the dually.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #369
TheBlueBomber

Looks great! Came close a few months back to getting a '91 V30. Kinda wish I did now.

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #370
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueBomber View Post
Looks great! Came close a few months back to getting a '91 V30. Kinda wish I did now.
I'd be one happy hillbilly if mine were a V30 and not an R30. Those trucks just don't exist down here in this area. Believe me, I don't miss many trucks out on the road and a 4 wheel jive dually square body is unheard of. I might have seen less than one per year on the roads down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 881ton View Post
Really nice job! You my friend are talented. Can't wait to see the dually.
And you Rob. I've read your thread several times and am very impressed. I hadn't mentioned it, but your truck looks so nice, it makes me a little melancholy that you're plowing with it and the elements will begin eating away at it from day one. My world is so much different here. Exhaust systems last 40 years down here. I've never seen a square body with a rusty rocker in my life. We can build neat stuff and the roads won't eat away at it in a normal lifetime.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #371
Low Elco

Bike looks great! Can't wait to see the next installment!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #372
Tx Firefighter

It's stupid cold outside today (relative to Texas) so I chose something to do inside the heated part of my shop. I do all my truck work in the outer part of my shop, the part with the big blue ceiling and the green floor. So, work inside near the heater is welcomed.

One "previous owner" hack that I'm having to fix is the steering column. The previous guy was a big boy and bragged that he swapped a tilt column into the truck for belly room. The problem is, he swapped an automatic column (the truck is floor shift), and the column has an intermittent wiper switch on it (truck does not have intermittent). I looked everywhere for a non intermittent switch for a tilt column but that wasn't an option apparently. So, my choice is to convert the wiper motor to intermittent and live with a column shift in a floor shift truck, or put it back original.

So, I wound up buying a non tilt, non delay wiper column off of a board member here. When it arrived, I was pretty disappointed in the threads on the top though. I don't have hard feelings for the guy. The column had a steering wheel on it, which I asked him to remove to save shipping. The guy had no idea the threads were boogered until he removed the wheel to box it up for shipping .

So, I need help here, what is the thread and size of the steering wheel nut ? I'm gonna need to address the shaft with a die to repair the ugliness.

Close up of the problem area. Please, anyone know what threads I'm dealing with here ? I need to get a die or thread chaser.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #373
Tx Firefighter

Disregard my question. I figured out my answer. Its 14x1.50 threads.

So, I made myself a Hillbilly thread chaser tool.

It worked very well. Problem solved, now on the the next thing.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #374
83GMCK2500

Out of curiosity I looked up a turn signal lever in the GM EPC (Electronic PArts Catalog) and I see two that might fit your requirement, top and bottom, depending on Chrome or Black...but I can guess which you want. Unless you wanted to add some cruise control while you were at it. Left column is GM part number, AC Delco part number is shown to the right in the Description. Happy hunting.
Attached Images

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #375
tekin112000

Please forgive my ignorance.

How do you use a nut to clean up those threads? What are the groves cut in it for.

Wouldn't putting a nut on boggered threads just leave a boggered nut and threads?
tekin112000 is offline   Reply With Quote