The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #351
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Mmmmm, El Cameeeennnnoooooo..... Thanks! '69 and '70 are my favorite, I've owned an '82 and a real nice '86. Good pics!
You need a 59. Dare to be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
that Studebaker looks worth it for a grand...
I think so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Mine was an 89 IROCZ, pristine and factory (appearing), no mullet. Same blue and black, grey leather, plus plus plus. Wish I still had it, and don't care what they think. Stereotype away, they deserved it LOL!
I'd drive it in a heartbeat. Air up that tire and see if it'll do a donut! I like this body style. My doctor (died last year) had a red convertible. It was cherry.

Lets get back to posting some pics while my stew simmers. There is a machine shop in Clara City that had an interesting assortment piled nearby.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 04-30-2014 at 08:35 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #352
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Story time. I was going through Montevideo, like I have dozens of times before and saw something looking down the hill from the highway I had never noticed before. A railroad turntable.

So I drove around until I found a place where I could park and get a closer look. There would have been a roundhouse built over this many years ago and the pits are where maintenance was done on the undercarriage of the cars. Like Jiffy lube for trains.

Thats the highway in the background I was heading down.

That's one heavy duty snow plow...

This is where I parked while I was toodling around the train yard. Next to that spiffy old chevy. My company car behind it there. 4 months now and about 15,000 miles.

And this old IH also.

So I'm parked at the end of the dirt lot for some kind of business, but I don't know what. I'm checking out the old iron and look towards the building and see more old junk to look at, so I head that way.

At first I thought this was just another truck bed trailer, but it's actually a truck minus the cab and front sheetmetal. Another IH. Has all 4 hub caps!

Another old chevy...

Dodge...

Sweet Willys!

Matching trailers...

This old sled needs some tlc...

A colt 340 S/S, just like my uncle had whan I was a kid. That sled and the old Arctic Cats my grandparents had were my first rides on the snow.

But then I turn around I see this beauty. 72 CST shortbed K-10! These are so rare around here its like seeing a real shelby cobra.

Factory tach. I think 2% of these trucks had that option.

Time to go inside and talk to the owner. Unfortunately, he wasn't in. Had a dentist appt. So I talked to his uncle instead. He's a retired guy, has a NAVY ball cap on and swears like he's still on the ship. I just smiled and remembered the bad old days at sea. Anyway, the 72 is probably not for sale, but maybe. I have the owners contact info if anyone wants to take a serious crack at it. I don't have the room or money for it so I was up front about that. The owner, Jim, is just your typical gearhead. He loves the old iron. The uncle said he's got a big shed full of old chevy cars, etc. Maybe I can arrange a closer look in the future, but what the uncle showed me was Jim's current obsession, which is old jeeps.

The old one out behind the shop he wants to build into either a navy or air force style jeep.

The machine guns are props that they built from scrap around the shop. The uncle said the local cops get calls occasionally from concerned citizens that see Jim driving down the road. They always ask where they spotted him and what direction he was going to make sure they know it's just Jim and not a Montana separatist or some local home gown terrorist (There was actually a guy in that area the gov't kept an eye on for that )

They use them in parades and take them to shows, etc.

So we are in the office area and I'm getting ready to hit the road again (still have a couple appt's to make) when I notice a couple pictures on the wall. They are overhead shots of the shop we are in and include the rail yard next door. As it was a couple years ago, which isn't much different than now. And another shot from several years ago where it looks like a park. There are trees and grass and absolutely no sign of a rail yard, turntable or roundhouse.

So we get to talking some more and Jim is part of a volunteer group that cleared off and dug out that rail yard. It was all buried and the railroad gave the property to the city. They do regular projects to try and bring it all back to life and keep it around for the next generation to wonder about and admire the history. A big thank you to Jim and his friends. They have some dome cars that the uncle believes are the last ones left in the world.

I know where some other old train cars are hidden in the St Paul area too. Dining cars, sleepers, etc. They don't get the attention and money they deserve or need for restoration, let alone proper storage. I know that if I was local there I would be involved.

Anyway, I think I saw Jim pulling into the shop as I was leaving but I just didn't have anymore spare time to visit, so I hope to catch him in the future and maybe see what else he's got hidden around. The uncle was funny and I enjoyed talking to him.

Later everyone.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #353
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Isn't having rain at the beginning better than the end? Time to blow dry as you cruise! Got pics?

Photo journalism? A bit of a stretch there but you're welcome. The Elco is far far away from a diamond. Those pics are it's "good side".

I took a bunch of pics today. Not sure when I will get them loaded but just a bunch more old iron and maybe a short story.
Never thought about the rain at the beginning of the ride being a good thing ...but it makes me feel better....thanks Yes there are pics, but nothing as good as yours. I post em after I get mine and some from the others that went together. I find it interesting that the Studebaker is a "Land Cruiser"......

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:54 AM   #354
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Never thought about the rain at the beginning of the ride being a good thing ...but it makes me feel better....thanks Yes there are pics, but nothing as good as yours. I post em after I get mine and some from the others that went together. I find it interesting that the Studebaker is a "Land Cruiser"......
It makes sense though. How would you have felt rolling into your driveway at the end of a 1000 mile drive where the last 300 were a wet mess of a ride? What a crappy end. You would just be glad it was over!

I just got a new helmet and riding gloves today! New air filter and tach drive cable should arrive tomorrow. Bought a gauge set from an 80 KZ 1000 with a 140 mph speedo to replace the 85 mph one that's on it. And I think I have a plan or the basic idea anyway, of how the paint will go. It will incorporate the style of this...
Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #355
Ol Blue K20

I can picture that on a bike...actually saw a victory with a similar scheme.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #356
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A few pics from the last week or so. Saw this Olds Jet Starr 88 in Clear Lake, IA on I-35. Really a nice looking car.

And a flock of hearses in Mason City. Or as my friend James said, Death Patrol.

This Torino was at a shop here in town the other day.

Mmmmm. Beer. My favorite flavor. I need to borrow this truck for a bit.

This next set was at a shop in a little town in Iowa. Looks like it used to be a service station, but now it's more a private hot rod garage I think. He had some cool things laying around though. At least I think so.

Sweet!

Got a mean motor scooter...

Monte. Looks like S-10 wheels on it.

Parts runners...

A little rough and rusty, but would make a great swap meet parts hauler.

Beginning of something or end of something. Just depends on what happens...

Pair of Wayne gas pumps...
Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #357
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I can picture that on a bike...actually saw a victory with a similar scheme.
I used some masking tape to help me visualize it. Go like this with a narrow stripe outboard of it.

I might go horizontal stripes on the side covers. Just going to use vinyl striping for this I think. Then if I get a larger tank and modify it later I can paint it more like I really want, but same basic style.

I took off some of the extra stuff and it already looks a bit leaner.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-06-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #358
flashed

You show us some amazing stuff thru your travels ,I wish I had a pocket full of money and your knowledge of where all this is at .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #359
Ol Blue K20

The hearse a bit creepy, always like that body style Torino....I think the stripes will look good. ...I say go for it. ..I used to run Kerker headers on my KZs made em sound and run great

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #360
Low Elco

Great stuff, thanks for including us in your travels!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #361
dan42

When I first got my license, my dad bought a slightly used light blue '68 Torino which had no options except a big block motor - learning to drive without spinning the wheels was interesting. My dad wisely sold the car before I was able to dive it on my own.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #362
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just a few pics today. I had to go to Manning, IA with a stop in Storm Lake along the way a couple days ago. I saw about 400 miles of this...

And a few miles of this...

I'm fairly certain I could cover most of my territory by dirt road, but choose not to. I did see a few things that would have been nice to stop and get a closer look at, but I just didn't have the time. Maybe next time, which is this Sunday, or the time after that, next wednesday. Not every trip is filled with great scenery and old iron.

Here is 1 shot I got though. They don't like to set the bar too high. No sense in raising expectations.

Yesterday I broke down and bought a new camera. Fuji Finepix S9200.

The main reason for the timing was that my oldest is graduating from college next week, but last night was the honors recognition ceremony and I needed something to record the event. Neither my wife or I had graduated college. None of our parents did, or grandparents either. Besides my niece my daughter is the 1st of my immediate family to accomplish this. From the time she was a little toddler we always told her she would go. As she grew and we realized how smart she was we told her we would do whatever it took to get her through the school of her choice. She was the valedictorian of her high school class and could have gone pretty much any where she wanted. She chose the U of MN and went through the honors program as part of just the 3rd class to do so at that school. Collectively the honors students had a 79% graduation rate compared to 59% for the whole class. And they represent the top 7% of the class.

And to top it off, she has a job! Not full time but it is actually in her field of study, which I think is an amazing start. We couldn't be more proud and I will gladly make those loan payments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-pXSy2pjao
Old 05-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #363
Low Elco

Hey, Congrats to all of you! That's great. What's she gonna do?

Ps-Nice Camera!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #364
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Probation officer at a non-secure juvenile facility for now. But thats the field she wants to work in. She did her internship with Hennepin County (Minneapolis) court system with processing the people through the system. She liked it. Now it's just finding that full time gig with benefits.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #365
flashed

Congrats to your daughter for her hard work and you for raising a fine daughter ,and even though you didnt show us fine iron in those pics it was still great scenery ,thanks for always taking us along .
Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #366
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Have enjoyed your ramblings. Congrats on your daughter's graduation and luck with her future plans.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #367
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Congrats to your daughter for her hard work and you for raising a fine daughter ,and even though you didnt show us fine iron in those pics it was still great scenery ,thanks for always taking us along .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Have enjoyed your ramblings. Congrats on your daughter's graduation and luck with her future plans.
Thanks for the kind words.

I forgot to share a couple prom pics...

The top right girl in red is my youngest. I was the only parent to show up for pics with a classic ride.

This is a very small town, and this years selection of cool stuff in the prom parking lot was lean. This 1st truck belongs to a friend of mine. He let his daughter take it and its probably only the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen it out. Has a bigblock. He built the headers himself this winter.

The next 2 I don't know the owners, but sweet rides for sure...

My daughter was all excited about her dates ride. He borrowed his uncles new Chevy duramax. They pulled up and she hollers "Isn't it cool?" I was in the garage and said, sure, but not as cool as mine. Her response, "Will you let me take yours next year? I want to get a dress to match it.

How the hell do you say no to that?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #368
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Then more pics from the road.

Remember the train roundhouse thingy? Well, just east of Spirit Lake, IA is a whole set of old passenger cars and a caboose sitting there on the tracks. Looks like they have been there for a while. I don't know the story. Yet.

I will be by there again this week and will try to take better pics than my blackberry does.

Not far south of there is Terril and I've been driving my a little repair shop that has an old Suzuki parked in front. I think the tank was on it last week. Must be working on it. I believe its a 1000, early 80's vintage. Gotta lose the windjammer though.

This is just a sign that catches your eye. I know when I think of 'liquid' and 'brown' I pretty much think 'fertilizer'. And really nothing else. I'm not a coffee drinker.

I saw the nose sticking out from the corner of my eye when I rolled through Comfrey, MN. Firebird with a layer of dust on it. Looked solid. Add that to my want list.

The end of another 400 mile day, on a sunday no less. At 2:08 my wife texted me asking when I would be home. I said 5:30. That's my house, note the time. She laughs cuz I have a knack for nailing my time estimates for most of my drives. I was almost 200 miles from home on that guess.

I was pretty wiped. Been fighting a cold, hacking up loogies. And I was out of beer. Mentioned it was sunday, so no beer sales. This is all I had left in the fridge...
Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #369
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Last set for now. We have 1 machinist in town here. Just a couple blocks from my house. When I need something done I can't do myself or need some metal, it's where I go. It's a 1 man shop and that 1 man has been doing this for a looooong time. He must be near 80. He's not big on keeping the place cleaned up, but he knows where everything is at. Or so he claims. Anyway, a few shots from the shop.

The office...

I just needed material to make lowering blocks. I love my band saw.

Very pretty, but $4250 pretty? IDK.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #370
Ol Blue K20

No beer sales on Sunday.......Huh?...I just found another good thing about California..lol

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #371
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That shop arrangement reminds me of mine...sorta. I got a few more years to be as organized as your friend.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #372
Low Elco

Nice Prom pics, Love that Flatback 'Stang! You never see Keystone Klassics anymore.

I miss machining plastic. It's fun, but always a helluva mess. I always look at places like that and think man, you could have a goin' jess here if you got it together. Oh well. Thanks for the pics, Please continue.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #373
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Some better pics of the train cars. Used the new camera.

An abandoned work horse by Wells, MN I think...

Playing with camera settings...

Just east of this there is an ethanol plant and I took a different route tuesday that brought me past the back side of that. I found a very large scale train track set. I don't think you can plug it into the wall and play with it though.

Don't quite see what I mean? Here it is from google earth...

I was on the road to the east there for my pics. I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

This awesome service truck is behind a steel building about a half mile south of where I took the previous pics in Superior, IA.

Yard art in Petersburg, MN

This old ford is also in Petersburg. I was playing with some of the advanced settings on the new camera...

Kind of a rough looking 68. Don't think it will buff out.

Pocahontas had nothing to do with the Cherokee, but because of how disney, hollywood, etc. have romanticized her story, most people probably have no idea. This is just coincidence...

Eventually I made it to Storm Lake after about 410 miles of cruising southern MN and then turning south. I had work there the next morning and then further south after that, then home. I was rolling along looking for a place to eat and get a beer and saw this blazer and a bike so I stopped for a look.

Hmmm, what's that in the back?

Oh! Dinner! From the roadkill cafe.

The bike...

I liked it. A lot! Not gonna ask about it though. I don't have the money. Hard to believe it's a honda. 2012 VT1300CS

That's it for today. Hope you enjoyed the ride.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #374
flashed

As usual ,great pics .
Old 05-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #375
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs up Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
That's it for today. Hope you enjoyed the ride.
Sure did, always a good time! Keep 'em coming...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote