The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #426
TheBlueBomber

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

That looks killer! Does it leave a smell in the oven/area when you cook it? Just getting into the painting world so please excuse me for my rookie questions.

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #427
Low Elco

Must be nice being out in the country. Have you upgraded to the "pizza oven" style deal? I've been involved with a few large scale industrial powder deals through work, it's neat to watch. Do you have your own blast rig, being semi-commercial? It'd be a cool deal, drop off crap and pick up snazzy powdered parts. There's a guy here that does that, but I'm not that well-heeled!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #428
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

My oven is just a big batch oven. Its 6 feet long, 4 feet tall. For blasting, I have two cabinets, one big one for motorcycle frames or whatever. I also have an outside pressure blast setup. For a few years I did turn key powdercoat work. All I asked was customers degrease stuff before they dropped it off and I took it from there. It just got to be too much work load as I got older and I never had much chance to work on my own stuff so I shut the door to outside business December 31st of last year.

Blue bomber, yes, it does put off smoke somewhat as the powder cures, but the smell does not linger at all. I do a lot of burn off degreasing in the oven to cook any residual grease or oil out of parts before blasting. That does put off a good bit of smoke at times.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #429
Tx Firefighter

I changed directions a little bit today with my efforts. I decided to work on a different part of the project than the suspension, wheels, etc.

I'm gonna refresh this stuff

And hope I can turn up some better parts than these before I reassemble the dash.

I'll need either a better dash pad or at least a cover for it. I'm not going to drop the coin for a new GM pad. Probably not even an aftermarket one either. I got two little girls that like to eat and want Legos on December 25th. I don't know what I'll wind up doing exactly, but it's not gonna be too expensive. I'll also need a new insert panel since mine has multiple screw holes all in it.

I know y'all are thinking " man, this guy is a crackhead. He's all over the place on this project." Well, fact is, I do my work on the truck in the big shop with the green floor and blue roof if you know what I mean. And, I'm facing this....

So I needed an inside project where I can keep warm, but still make progress.

So, after removing the cluster and counting bulbs, I placed an order for new LED bulbs from Super Brite LEDs. I'll do the normal clean, paint, and detail job on this like has been so well documented on this board in the past.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #430
WIDESIDE72

You have the same shop as me
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #431
Tx Firefighter

It's spacious, and there's most always a breeze flowing through it. I have shop space but its full of blasting cabinets and ovens and stuff. Also, part of my shop is heated, insulated and fairly nice with big workbenches and stuff but its only a walk-in arrangement. So, I work in front of the shop if its not something that I can take into my work room by the heater.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #432
Low Elco

'Glass it and shoot it with bedliner/undercoat? Seen it done with good results.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #433
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
'Glass it and shoot it with bedliner/undercoat? Seen it done with good results.
Do you have any handy links ? My fiberglass experience is pretty limited. I figured by the time I ordered a batch of good quality resin and cloth that I'd be into it for a good chunk of money (relative towards buying a replacement dash cap). My fiberglass experience always centered around the Bondo brand goop and cloth from the parts store. I figured if I ever did any more of the work I'd order proper stuff in hopes the superior materials would improve the outcome over what I got with Bondo brand products.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #434
Tx Firefighter

Disregard my last post. A google turned up several years worth of reading on the subject. It looks doable if I want to invest the time.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #435
maxxxy

There are a lot of people who have restored their old dash pad. It makes a big change on the interior of the truck. Once it is repaired, it can be smoothed completely and painted with body work, in a custom look, or rewrapped in factory style vinyl, or anything in between.

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #436
MalibuSSwagon

Mine wasn't too badly cracked, so I just shot it with black vinyl dye and put it back in. My vote is to either find a better one for cheap money or cap it. It'll take you days to work the fiberglass to fill it.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #437
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

You can peel off the old vinyl. Get a can of 3M spray adhesive and whatever material you want to cover it with. The more stretchy and flexible the better. Cut it down to the basic shape with some extra material around the edges. Spray the material, spray the pad on the edge you're starting with and just bring the 2 together and keep working your way across, spraying with adhesive as you go. Wrap around the edges and glue those, then trim the excess.

I doubt many here think it's odd to move around on a project. For quite a while I bounced between 2 trucks cuz I was sick of sanding on the one and could wrenching on the other. Variety is the spice of life. Pretty purple finger you got there. Hope you heal soon.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 11-23-2013 at 10:12 AM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #438
Tx Firefighter

All good ideas. Looking at my "core" dash pad that I have to work with, I really think I need a better one to start with. Mine is so cracked and destroyed that it doesn't even hold its shape close to what it should. I've already reached out to one of my local go-to buddies to try and find one with no luck. I'll need to try and scrounge up a better starting point.

Now I'm off to the store to get some white paint for the cluster parts and some orange for the needles. My SuperBriteLEDs order shows delivery Monday so I'll have new bulbs then.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #439
maxxxy

I've seen expanding foam used to fill cracks. Just sand it to shape, then wrap it or glass over it. As long as it still is in good shape around gauge bezel and trim bezel, yours should be "useable" if a better one doesn't turn up. And just shave the speaker holes. They're basically obsolete anyways haha.

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #440
TheBlueBomber

How are you going to go about cleaning the plastic lens cover? Cleaned up mine and its significantly better but that cover is still too cloudy. How is the circuit board on the back of the housing? Replaced some lights in mine but some of the metal contact points broke off.

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #441
eldogg

How have I missed this build? What a great thread. I really dig your build style, exactly the way I like to do my stuff. Keep up the good work.
eldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #442
Sodell

Subscribed...I have only been here for a while. I traded an AR for a great builder SWB 7-8 months ago and I am always looking for ways to save money with good parts, or rehabbing old/used. As a little older guy, I became a member because I wanted to get some advice on lowering my truck, but I have gotten some solid advice from guys like you in all different areas, please keep it up, and thanks. I like to get ideas but don't usually put my two cents in unless I know what I am talking about.

I don't use credit or go in debt for my projects either, makes for a slow build some times but the end result is always something you truly own. My kids are grown, and they are not in debt either...... I built my 88 4x4 the same way and it has been my daily driver now for several years.

So any way, thanks for all the good advice and thought I would post on your thread to let you know I appreciate the help, same to the rest of you regulars on here!

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #443
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxy View Post
I've seen expanding foam used to fill cracks. Just sand it to shape, then wrap it or glass over it. As long as it still is in good shape around gauge bezel and trim bezel, yours should be "useable" if a better one doesn't turn up. And just shave the speaker holes. They're basically obsolete anyways haha.
I'll definitely be shaving the speaker holes. I have a radio block off plate to install when I go back together with the dash. I don't have a radio in any of my stuff. Never have. I prefer to think when I drive rather than listen to other distractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueBomber View Post
How are you going to go about cleaning the plastic lens cover? Cleaned up mine and its significantly better but that cover is still too cloudy. How is the circuit board on the back of the housing? Replaced some lights in mine but some of the metal contact points broke off.
I'm not sure how I'll improve the lens. Probably buy a headlight restoration kit. I could use to have one around the shop anyway. My printed circuit is good as far as I can tell. Fortunately this truck doesn't appear to have been worked on too much in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
How have I missed this build? What a great thread. I really dig your build style, exactly the way I like to do my stuff. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for the words. I'm very OCD about quality. I apprenticed under a mean ugly German son of a b1tch when I was first out of college. We built replicas of German WW2 airplanes for museum display. I hated that man....at first. Then he drug me to an elevated level of OCD and I found my work quality had drastically increased. Now I wish the man was still alive so I could thank him for all the rough words and treatment that he gave me back then. Kicking and screaming, he formed me into the obsessive detail freak that I am today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodell View Post
Subscribed...I have only been here for a while. I traded an AR for a great builder SWB 7-8 months ago and I am always looking for ways to save money with good parts, or rehabbing old/used. As a little older guy, I became a member because I wanted to get some advice on lowering my truck, but I have gotten some solid advice from guys like you in all different areas, please keep it up, and thanks. I like to get ideas but don't usually put my two cents in unless I know what I am talking about.

I don't use credit or go in debt for my projects either, makes for a slow build some times but the end result is always something you truly own. My kids are grown, and they are not in debt either...... I built my 88 4x4 the same way and it has been my daily driver now for several years.

So any way, thanks for all the good advice and thought I would post on your thread to let you know I appreciate the help, same to the rest of you regulars on here!
Thank you. I try to only offer advice on matters that I have personally dealt with. I have literally thousands upon thousands of photos that I've taken in the last two decades of various old trucks I've built stored in my Photobucket account. I try to offer my opinion on any particular matter and add photos to clarify what I'm trying to communicate.

As far as the debt deal, I used to build trucks out of my pocket, then at the end, when money ran out, I'd use my credit card for a couple of thousand final dollars to hurry up and finish the truck. Then I'd just pay it off over the next 6 months or so while I drove the truck. Then Congress passed some new laws like 5 years ago that changed credit card practices, and my 21 year history with the credit card company went out the window and they jacked my rate up from 5 percent to 14 percent for no reason at all. That pissed me off royally so I cancelled every form of credit card I had and went to cash on the barrel head for everything.

Now I build a little at a time as money flows in. With Christmas and its inevitable purchases of Legos and Barbie dolls, I'm in my skinny time of the year. Plus the taxes are due on my rent house so truck money is even skinnier. So, this payday for instance, my expenditures were new LED dash bulbs. That's it. Maybe more next payday. But, patience makes the build soooooo much sweeter. Nothing like waiting patiently to buy something to make you appreciate it more when you finally get it.

Again, this is the tailgate on my stepside beater truck. It describes my mentality these last few years....

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 11-23-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #444
Sodell

Yep, I retired from the Army after 22 years in 06, and went straight to work before I was done with my ending vacation. I usually save my OT up and buy parts, keeps the wife happy and keeps me happy when I have to work OT..

You don't need to buy the kit for the lens. You can wet sand it with some 1500 and then polish it with some cutting paint polish. I got a quart of it a few years ago and still have not used it all.

What LED lights are you using?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #445
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodell View Post

What LED lights are you using?
I'm using these....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/199/

I've ordered a fair number of lights from those folks for past projects and have found them to be pretty much the premium in customer service. I ordered my bulbs Friday and they show delivery tomorrow. I got the white ones for gauge illumination and one blue one for hi-beam indicator.

I am following the recommendations made my the guy in this thread....

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=392750

Basically, my plan is to clean everything thoroughly, paint all of the cluster internals white, paint gauge needles with Testors fluorescent orange, and reassemble with new LED bulbs. Nothing exotic or groundbreaking, just trying to remove 25 years of grime and return the cluster to something close to new appearance.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #446
Sodell

Looks like I will have to add that to my list, nice replacement for the bulbs. Have you ever painted the bezel? I have to peal off the chrome cover and I am probably going to need to paint it black, any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #447
Tx Firefighter

I've never painted one, but this might be my first. I'd like to renew the silver rings around the gauges. I'm actually thinking of doing a very tasteful application of diamond plate on the bottom flat panels of the bezel (around headlight switch and radio areas). Remember my truck is non A/C so it's very plain in that area. Then, a stripe of diamond plate across the dash on the dash insert to cover the screw holes.

Notice in this picture how the non A/C dash bezels have two spots on the bottom that would lend themselves to some dress up measures. And it would block off the radio hole at the same time.

I found this place that sells thin diamond plate just stupid cheap....

http://www.cutsmetal.net/cogrdipl1.html

It would go along with diamond plate door bottom kick panels I've been mulling over. Keep in mind, I'm not a diamond plate fan by any stretch, so if I do it, it will be very muted and subtle. Still mulling it over to say the least.

I might just plasma cut some aluminum appliqués instead. Kind of like the 80s era billet stuff they sell.

Whatever I wind up doing, I promise it will be tasteful and not look like scrap metal pop riveted over the dash. That's my beef with a lot of diamond plate uses is that it looks like pee-paw dug up some old trailer remnants and used it to cover an ugly hole on the truck. No offense intended to diamond plate folks....

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 11-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #448
Low Elco

Sorry for the delay, Maxxy's plan was the one I had in mind for the dash. I have a vague plan to get stupid and put 6.5's in the top of the dash with a variation on that theme. The plastic polishes right up with paint polishing stuff. Just like clearcoat.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #449
Tx Firefighter

I'll have to see what I have around the shop to polish the lens. I'm pretty weak in the paint polishing supplies category. I know last time I bought any of the buffing sauce from the paint store it was painfully expensive.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #450
Sodell

It's in the 20's here so I didn't want to do any body work today. I was going to spring for some LED's but as I get older bright lights hurt the eyes a bit, and I did not want to be in a situation where I could not dim the dash lights. I couldn't even see the gauges on the left side of the dash. I took it apart and after reading several of these great threads I painted the plastic behind the gauges white, and the plastic behind the clear plastic white. I also had a bulb burnt out. I polished the plastic and now the lights are extremely bright and I do like the "halo effect" someone had mentioned. I also used a heat gun to get the fake chrome off. I used a plastic spray-paint ($4), and it worked great for the white. I will have to take the bezel back off and do some more work to it, probably repaint at least the silver. Anyway you can't tell from the phone pics, but its really bright......thanks again..I believe you have my stapler...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]