The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #26
69restomod

Re: 69 swb turbo Ls swap

Ordered some go fast goodies today from bullseye power they have great customer service and are very knowledgeable!got a Borg Warner s475 on the way and a turbo smart power gate 60!
Attached Images

69restomod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #27
69restomod

Turbo smart power gate 60!
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #28
mongocanfly
Post Whore

First off that's a very very nice truck you got there..the LS harness is pretty much stand alone meaning it can be run independent of your trucks harness..you only need 4 wires to make it run..I used my original starter wire with no relay on my lq9 and havnt had any problems..for the gauges ..the only thing I did was to drill and tap the passenger side head for my water temp to my gauges (the ecm reads from the drivers front)..used the autometer metric to npt adap for the oil pressure gauge..on the ecm location I routed mine into cab under the dash behind the glove box..what a pain...never ever would I do that again..from now on mine will all be mounted under or behind the seat..I used a PSI harness and could have gotten them to make it longer..I used the PSI fan relays and ran dual fans from summit.. and like boynton says..it makes me smile..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #29
69restomod

Thanks man I appreciate it! I'm looking very forward to being able to drive and enjoy my truck again .690 lift solid roller sbc runs badass wide open but is not the most driveable haha ok cool so I can keep all my new wiring that's good to know, what are you running for a speedometer ? I know the 4l80e is electronic and my 700r4 is mechanical so my autometer speedometer is mechanical and do you have any pics of where you drilled and tapped for the water temp sensor?
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #30
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I used a dakota digital convertor box for the speedometer..on the water temp there is a threaded npt hole in the head..its in the same place as the drivers side head if you flipped it around..can't miss it.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...MobileSwitchNo
Old 08-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #31
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Its not easy to see but the temp sensor is at the back of the head..there should be a plug in that hole..
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #32
69restomod

Ok awesome man thanks for the info i appreciate it!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #33
mongocanfly
Post Whore

What's your plan for your fuel, system?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #34
69restomod

Man I honestly don't know there are so many options I thought about the Boyd's welding aluminum fuel cell with the aeromotive stealth pump setup but that's a little pricey so might look for an external mount setup? You have any suggestions I would like to be able to support 600-700 whp for that's what I'm shooting for as far as horsepower, right now I have a sumped summit racing fuel cell with a quickfuel billet 175 and all braided -8 an line plumbed in the truck now so if I could use some of that system that would be cool! What are your suggestions?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #35
mongocanfly
Post Whore

The -8 hose should be good..i dont see why you cant keep your tank as well..only thing is your gonna need a return line on your tank..on mine I'm running a walbro 255 inline pump and the vette filter reg setup..all mounted at the tank..reg dumps back into the tank..your gonna need more than what I've got with your setup. Ill have to let someone else answer that..you might post in the ls swap section and get better answers..I'm tagging along cause my next build (53 ad) will be turbo/ls and I'm trying to get all the info I can..I am looking at that aeromotive setup for it..that's a sweet looking piece..
Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #36
Overdriven

I'm not sure I'd bother with water cooling the turbine housing or the up pipe. On jet ski it's needed due to the cramped space and it doesn't hurt performance due to the short amount of piping between the engine and the turbo. For applications like ours most just use header wrap on the piping and maybe a turbo blanket if it's close to something. The wrap keeps the heat in the pipes, both to lower under hood temps and to make sure the turbo gets that heat to spool as quick as possible. Water cooling the housing and piping may not degrade performance much if at all, but to me it seems like an unnecessary complication for our style of application. Nice fab work though, can't wait to see the kit you come up with.

I'm going to be doing a similar setup in my truck but I'm not ready for action yet and still in the planning stages. Haven't done too much research on fuel systems yet but recommend visiting LS1tech, and sloppymechanics.com and watching his 6.0 Colorado vids. A common combination is using 80lb injectors with a Walbro 400 which if I recall correctly is good to about 600whp. If you want to go further than that you're going to need more injector and fuel pump. Sloppymechanics likes to go the least expensive route and runs a pair of Walbro 400's T'd into the same line instead of a big single pump for his 800whp Colorado.

While there's no reason you can't keep your Summit fuel cell, you can't run an in tank pump with it. In tank pumps will be quieter, run cooler and can last longer because of it. You can't keep your QuickFuel pump (not enough pressure for EFI) so you're redoing most of your fuel system, if you're going to replace the tank/cell now is the time to do it.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #37
69restomod

Yea after I talked that idea over with the guy I work with on the jetski turbo kits he said it prolly wouldn't be the best idea so I scratched that idea pretty quick after thinking it up , and yea I knew I wouldn't be able to use my quickfuel pump it's only good for 14 psi for a carbuerated setup, I've watched some of sloppy mechanics builds and it is pretty cool what he does on a budget, I like the idea of the twin walboro pumps into one line, I guess as of right now I need to figure out whether I'm gonna run an external or in tank setup, I'd like to get away from the noisey external if I could my quickfuel I run now is very loud
Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #38
Overdriven

It sucks when you already have a tank/cell, but if it was me I'd ditch it and go in tank. Afterall, you're ditching your current engine for a more street able setup, why love with a noises fuel pump. There's other options besides a custom tank too, any of the rear mount conversion tanks for our trucks designed for fuel injection would be fine. Mount the pump(s) of your choice to the thingy that drops in (forget what that's called) and you're golden. You're already wired up, just need to make sure it's sufficient for the draw.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #39
69restomod

Yea man for sure I agree 100% I just found this drop in aeromotive setup which you can run up to three drop in pumps which one single is good for 700 hp forced induction efi and two it says is good for 1400 hp and I could retrofit it into my fuel cell!
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #40
69restomod

My truck is patiently waiting for its new turbo Ls swap 🤑🤑
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #41
shores6

On my turbo build, I went with the Boyd's fuel cell with the in tank aeromotive a1000. All -8 line, y'd going into the fuel rails, with the regulator mounted to the passenger side rail and then returned to the tank. The A1000 pump should be more than sufficient for what I'm going to be running. If you dont wanna spend the money on it, I have a couple friends that have ran the dual walbro 255 with good success.

Project: Boosted Blucille. '70 C10 SWB PB Fab, LS2 S480 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700419
shores6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #42
69restomod

Ok awesome thanks for the info on the fuel setup! How do you like that Boyd's welding tank? It's definitely still on my list of options
Old 08-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #43
shores6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69restomod View Post
Ok awesome thanks for the info on the fuel setup! How do you like that Boyd's welding tank? It's definitely still on my list of options
I really like it. Its a quality piece for sure. Everyone I've ever talked to that has had one has nothing but good things to say about it. Normally around Thanksgiving there's a small sale on them. 10% off and free shipping. If you do decide to get one, I would try to wait for one of these sales.

Project: Boosted Blucille. '70 C10 SWB PB Fab, LS2 S480 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700419
Old 08-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #44
69restomod

Shore6 you have a badass build going on! I was actually looking today at the tick stage 2 cam you put in your motor, and did you have that circle d stall specd for your turbo setup? And thanks for the info on the tanks I have some time to wait
Old 08-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #45
shores6

Quote:
Shore6 you have a badass build going on! I was actually looking today at the tick stage 2 cam you put in your motor, and did you have that circle d stall specd for your turbo setup? And thanks for the info on the tanks I have some time to wait
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I liked the specs on the Tick cam a little more than others, but I know a lot of people have had really good luck with the Lil John Motorsports turbo cams too. Yeah I just called Circle D up and told them what my setup was with my cam specs. They sourced me a single disk billet 258mm 3600 stall. They were extremely informative and helpful.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #46
69restomod

No problem man love all the porterbuilt suspension and seems like we are doing a very similar setup as far as turbos go and transmission I'm actually dropping off my trans today after work! I've called lil John motorsports 3-4 times now and left messages with no response so I gave up on him, when I talked to jack at bullseye he recommended I talk to Martin at Smallwood race development he did all the specs for the tick turbo cams as he used to work for them so I need to call him but I really like the way the tick stage 2 looks as far as specs and their description, ok cool sounds good about circle d I'll have to give them a call once I get my cam figured out. And what turbo manifolds are you running?
Old 08-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #47
shores6

Quote:
No problem man love all the porterbuilt suspension and seems like we are doing a very similar setup as far as turbos go and transmission I'm actually dropping off my trans today after work! I've called lil John motorsports 3-4 times now and left messages with no response so I gave up on him, when I talked to jack at bullseye he recommended I talk to Martin at Smallwood race development he did all the specs for the tick turbo cams as he used to work for them so I need to call him but I really like the way the tick stage 2 looks as far as specs and their description, ok cool sounds good about circle d I'll have to give them a call once I get my cam figured out. And what turbo manifolds are you running?
Ha. its funny you say that about lil john. I called him with the intention of buying a bunch of stuff but had some questions first. He acted put out so I took my business elsewhere.

I'm using a dirty dingo turbo manifold and then a 2010+ camaro SS manifold on the driver side. Still working out exactly how I want the hotside to run right now.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #48
69restomod

That's funny well atleast I'm not the only one, it's suprisingly hard nowadays to get good customer service and tech info most people don't wanna give you the time of day I will always 100% give my business to whoever has the best customer service even if I have to overpay I think it's worth it.

Ok cool I've looked at the dirty dingo stuff, looks pretty well built I think I'm gonna mock up a truck manifold setup and then build a set of equal length 321 ss turbo headers that will work in our trucks .
Old 08-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #49
Qwk

Lil John is cool guy, but way too caught up in FB drama!

Subscribing to this build thread!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #50
69restomod

Got the wiring harness off the motor and cleaned up some .
Attached Images