The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #26
midniteblues

Re: welder tricks

A "clean"shot glass and fresh water will help flush particals from ones eyes.

Also a little trick i learned is too pull your top eyelid out and close your eye real hard the let the lid down over the bottom one then roll your eye around.
The bottom eye lashes will wipe your eyeball like a mop and usually either pick up or move the partical too a more acessable locataion.

Ive had sparks bounce off my face sheild on the inside and make there way rite passed my glasses(regular eye glasses) and eventually finding a home in my eye.
Ohhhh hot spark in the eye will ruin your hour or day. But if you dont get it out it will rust and cause more damage.

My eye doctor numbed my eye and used (of all things) a grinder to get the imbedded spark out.....not fun at all.

Bad habit of not wearing saftey glasses since i wear eye glasses all the time. BUT, i will always wear my sheild since ive ruined too many pair of glasses with sparks.

Also a hard lesson for me too learn is to wear a little more protective foot wear in the garage other than crocs or moccasins.
Sucks haveing too explain too your coworkers your limping around cause i dropped a silly item on my foot wearing flip flops.
I dont care who you are 10-12 hours a day in steel toes 6 days a week on concrete floors will get too you, so I dont like wearing much on my feet when im at home. But hey, i still have all ten toes right.....
.....Then i remember why i only have seven fingers. And go get those boots on if im playing in the garage.

Flame retardent green pants,shirt and a long lab type shirt are always hanging rite next too the fire extingisher and squirt bottle on the cart rite with the welder.
On top of it is 2 pair of heavy welding gloves and the auto helmet.
I also keep a heavy oversized towel sized canvas sheet folded up on the bottom shelf of the cart too lay out over flamable areas or too snuff out potential flames.
I threw away my burnt doorag and keep forgetting to get another.

Saftey glasses are in the clear bin as you walk in the door....go get a pair on or get out!

I am a fairly saftey cautious person....but it has taken me years too be this way.
If its taught STRAIGHT from your first expeiriance then it becomes " the way its done" and it cant be done without.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #27
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The best safety device is between your ears but even that's not foolproof. Two guys I worked with were welding up a 4X4 ft duct because we were on a tight deadline. They needed the welds to the inside so they were inside back to back TIG welding for a couple of hours. Both had top quality hoods.Stainless ductwork, reflections can burn ya. Bounced right off of each weld into the back of the others helmet and into their eyes enough to flash them. Even when you think you've thought of everything, think again.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #28
davepl

I have a cheap eye wash station in my shop.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #29
In The Ten Ring

I don't even own flip flops anymore! I used to keep a pair by each door (I do not wear shoes in the house) in case I needed to run outside for something quick.

I had a pair on, walking up my front steps and I missed a step. I didn't even realize until I looked how badly I was hurt. A BIG TOENAIL WAS FOLDED BACK ALL THE WAY.

It was hard to look at and hurt too much to touch. It's a good thing too, had I laid that nail back down I might have lost the toe to an infection as the nail bed was full of sand and grit.

That was an ER visit and big bill but I learned never to wear flip flops again. I now have a pair of crocs by each door for when I need to go out into the yard for something quick. I wouldn't dare attempt to do any work in those.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #30
78chevstepside

Interesting I was a field construction boilermaker. Meaning I did a lot of welding 38 years . I have burned my eyes numerous times . Burning both eyes your not going to be doing nothing but laying down with your eyes shut .what i mean is you can't open your eyes . Light makes it worse . A cold wet towel helps . Basically you lay there a rough it out . Picture laying in bed on the road in a motel .your certainly not going to be driving seeking medical attention. symptoms dont happen till bed time Flash burns are very painful. Reflection from stainless steel is very problematic for flash burns and sun burns. Safety glasses certainly help . One should make precautions not to burn your eyes . Sometimes things happen . You will live
Old 08-07-2017, 03:40 AM   #31
jjzepplin

I'll keep this short. Got metal in my eye one day from grinding. Saw the doctor and he got it out. Next day we found all the rust from it being there too long. Had goggles on but set them down for lunch and came back not knowing some metal dust was in them so when I put them on.... Anyway I got this cool tool from Grainger long time ago and keep it handy. Has a super smooth strong magnet on one side and a loop of fishing line on the other. I have used it many time to remove rust or debris from my eye with great success. it is as big as a pen and works great. I follow that up with a brisk shower holding my eye wide open and super flushing with shower water.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote