The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #26
bucket

Re: Tow Bar Towing

i rented a tow dolly once and drove 500 miles one way to pull this home. The volvo had a 5000 lb rating but there is no way i would do it again. i needed a much bigger vehicle.
Attached Images

bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:54 AM   #27
jimfulco

How do you back up with a tow bar?
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:38 AM   #28
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

very carefully.
It can be done, but you gotta go real slow and really pay attention to what you are doing.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #29
Chris H
72 C30 Trailer Queen

Yes, I have used a towbar. It worked great for my 10 mile round trip, but it was very uncomfortable braking. That C30 motorhome could have pushed my truck through anything, including anything stopped in front of me. I kept it under 40mph on back roads to the junkyard where we removed the camper portion.

72 C30 133"
72 C30 157" flat-dump
69 C10 short fleet
71 ElCamino
2000 K2500 crewcab shortbed (sold, sorry old friend)
2005 GMC 2500HD shortcrew Duramax
2006 K1500 RCSB
and a couple other projects/parts
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #30
hoser
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H
Yes, I have used a towbar. It worked great for my 10 mile round trip, but it was very uncomfortable braking. That C30 motorhome could have pushed my truck through anything, including anything stopped in front of me. I kept it under 40mph on back roads to the junkyard where we removed the camper portion.
Wow that looks like it would have been a great classic to restore you dont see many of them any more.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #31
Longhorn Man

Imagine a one ton longhorn pushing an 87 K/5... 450 miles.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #32
Chris H
72 C30 Trailer Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
Wow that looks like it would have been a great classic to restore you dont see many of them any more.
The camper portion was total junk and beyond restoration. My wife saw it and told me to go find a nice one, so I did. Details here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=170729

72 C30 133"
72 C30 157" flat-dump
69 C10 short fleet
71 ElCamino
2000 K2500 crewcab shortbed (sold, sorry old friend)
2005 GMC 2500HD shortcrew Duramax
2006 K1500 RCSB
and a couple other projects/parts
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:35 AM   #33
70GMCer

I once towed a 67 Chevelle with a 67 Chevelle from California to Maryland with a bolt to bumper tow bar without any problems. I was doing around 65 MPH on the highways. The only thing is, I had a motor/trans in the car that was being towed. One thing that wasn't mentioned, DO NOT back up while towing. The front tires on the tow vehicle will go in the opposite direction. I also had to remove the power steering hoses, as the steering box had resistance if the hoses are connected to the pump.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #34
Longhorn Man

with the trucks you won't need to disconnect the hoses, and backing is OK. Some vehicles act one way, others another way. I've seena couple times ppl towing 2nd generation Camaros with tow bars, they don't track for sh!t. You turn one way, the Camaro wants to go the other way.
But the trucks track fine.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #35
69TowRig

So if I want to tow behind a moving truck with the tow bar, do y'all recommend protecting the front of my Blazer with anything? It looks like I will be moving from TX to NC late next month and while the Blazer is not in great shape I do not want to risk any new damage to it.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #36
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

The only thing I know that will get any damage is the front bumper,
no matter how carefull you are it will get some damage, I'd remove
it if the bumper is a keeper, btw which route you taking to NC? I'm
always looking to meet more board members and I'm on I-40 in TN.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #37
69TowRig

The bumper is a dumpster-trophy. I was going to remove it and use some heavy bar stock to securely mount the tow bar. I looked at the one Northern sells and I think I will pick that up this week.

Luv, I'd love to stop by but I will surely be taking a route to I-20 from Houston, then I-20 to Atlanta then I-85 to I-40. I will miss you by quite a few miles. Since I will be that much closer we may have a chance of meeting in the future, of course you may have to drag GQ out in the sunshine to do that.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
Old 01-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #38
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Just remember to ensure what your towing weighs less than vehicle that is pulling. If its close then youll feel it when braking and you dont want to find out at 65mph. I feel for you going all that way using a tow bar. That will be a wild ride. The weight ratio is probably too close for u haul to rent you a tow bar. Liabilities.......I would get a trailer, but ensure it has brakes on it. Tow dollies are good but again lack of braking. Most places dont rent large dollies anymore. I just pulled my 68 with a tow bar 450 miles and that far of a distance was a haul. Just make sure if you use a tow bar that you have tow lights, and I use a safety chain too. ( Take you time also)

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #39
junkyardjohn

I WOULD PERSONALLY REALLY REALLY TRY TO FIND A TRAILOR. I HAVE TOWED CARS WITH A DOLLY, TOWBAR & TRAILOR. I LIKE TOWING WITH MY TOWTRUCK THE BEST SO FAR. WHATEVER YOU DECIDE DONT RENT ANYTHING FROM UHAUL. THEY HAVE MORE NON-MAINTAINED JUNK ON THE ROAD THAN ALL OF THE OTHER RENTAL COMPANYS COMBINED. BAD BAD COMPANY. THE LAST TIME I TRIED TO RENT FROM THEM, I CALLED THE DISTRIC MANAGER TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE LOUSY, RUDE,LYING TREATMENT I RECEIVED AT THE HUNNINGTON BEACH CA. STORE, & HE OFFERED TO GIVE ME A COUPLE OF 1/2 OFF VOUCHERS FOR THE NEXT TIME I NEEDED TO RENT. I TOLD HIM TO KEEP EM, & THAT I WOULDN'T RENT FROM UHAUL AT ANY PRICE, & IT WOULD BE MY LIFELONG MISSION TO TELL EVERYONE WHO'LL LISTEN, WHAT A BUNCH OF NO NOTHING JERKS THAT I'VE HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF MEETING.
(O-K ENOGH PREACHING FOR NOW) JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #40
yank

69tow rig you will be going right by me on your travels. my shop is just off from I20 (I can hear the traffic some times). what day will you be passing through Meridian Ms.?

Go ahead chance it........Columbus did!!!

Steve (Chitlin) Bacon

My DIY Shop http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mpalmiter/shop/
yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #41
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Dad and I towed a couple of cars with a tow bar. Biggest problem is you don't have enough brakes. That's why trailering is prefered, the trailer has brakes. If you're towing with a bar at highway speeds, you really need someone in the towed vehicle to run the brake pedal.

Worst tow we did was when the tranny went out on the 68 Dodge Polara while pulling a 16' travel trailer. Dad caught the bus back home and got the 63 Bel Aire wagon which had a 327 and powerglide. The first 40 miles we pulled both the car and trailer, and almost lost the trailer going downhill. So we dropped the trailer at a truck stop in northwest Kansas and pulled the Dodge back home running between 80 & 90 mph. The old Chevy had guts, and then some.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:19 AM   #42
69TowRig

Well I was thinking of "unloading" all the stuff I had in the Blazer before I towed it. Is towing it really that bad with a big moving truck? I must admit that while I don't like doing it, my '01 Frontier 4x4 tows my 3500+ lb boat with no trailer brakes just fine as long as I keep a good following distance (I will be upgrading the trailer soon). I figured a big 20'+ box truck could tow my "little" Blazer okay. The rest of the move is going to cost enough as it is and I was hoping to avoid having to buy a trailer too.

And I know enough stories about U-Haul to tell some you haven't heard. Penske is the bargain beater at the moment, and Budget is twice the price. I will most likely hit Meridian in the afternoon of the Feb 19th if this works out right. I just drove through there twice going up to NC and back on my vacation to see the folks for the holidays.

Last edited by 69TowRig; 01-11-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:02 AM   #43
rwgregory

A 20'+ box truck will tow your Blazer just fine. A heavy-duty rented tow bar
will do the job with ease. Just remember to keep your speed down,(60 mph or
less), give yourself pleanty of breaking room and be very light-footed on the
brake pedal, check the tow bar for looseness FREQUENTLY, and check your
towing lights every time you stop. By taking these precautions and using some
common sense you should be fine.

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #44
Longhorn Man

Like I said earlier in this thread, if you just use common sence, you can tow at free way speeds and then some, you can stop and turn and back up if you learn how in an empty parking lot. With a big ass moving van with all your stuff in there, you literally won't even know it is there when you come to a stop sign... taking off, you'll notice it, but that's about the only time.

If these were unsafe, they'd be illegal. Palin and simple.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #45
69TowRig

Well in a strange twist my company informed me yesterday that I may be getting a relocation package! So the towbar may not be needed at the moment as my company will pay to move 2 vehicles if it goes through for me!

*crosses fingers*
Old 01-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #46
Longhorn Man

I was thinking about something today...with the argument of not having brakes when doing the tow bar deal... I could easily add a wrecker boom to my one ton truck, and be perfectly legal for towing cars and trucks... with the same amount of brakes as I do right now.
Many tow trucks do not have upgraded brakes.
Just something to think about or to argue back with when some one says something about the no brakes thing.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #47
WK Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
The tow bar I have now, it requires 2 big 'ole 7/16 bolts to hold the bracket to the vehicle being towed. I took a long piece of flat stock and drilled the holes in it, and then bolted it to where the bumper used to be.
Longhorn Man, I have to pull a C30 home, roughly 100 miles. I have the same tow bar set up, however I need the hole spacing so I can drill out the flat stock bar to match up to the frame. Would you be able to get me those measurements, it would help tremendously. Thank you
WK Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #48
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Longhornman has not been on the board in a couple years.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #49
WK Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Longhornman has not been on the board in a couple years.
Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
WK Truck is offline   Reply With Quote