The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #26
Chevy3+3

Re: No start after swapping intakes???

Well I wondered if my dizzy was bad when I pulled it. It was gummed up pretty bad and hard to turn. I freed it up but noticed some of the 8 coggs would touch each other and catch while spinning it by hand. I didn't know they weren't supposed to touch. A GM mechanic I spoke with this morning said they should not touch and said I probably created the problem or made it worse when I pulled or reinstalled the dizzy. The fact that the dang thing was corroded so bad I am just going to buy a new distributor today and get it installed since it comes with all new components inside.

Keep your fingers crossed.........
Old 03-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #27
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
Well I wondered if my dizzy was bad when I pulled it. It was gummed up pretty bad and hard to turn. I freed it up but noticed some of the 8 coggs would touch each other and catch while spinning it by hand. I didn't know they weren't supposed to touch. A GM mechanic I spoke with this morning said they should not touch and said I probably created the problem or made it worse when I pulled or reinstalled the dizzy. The fact that the dang thing was corroded so bad I am just going to buy a new distributor today and get it installed since it comes with all new components inside.

Keep your fingers crossed.........
I`m on less than 2 hours sleep but WTH is a bug and what do you mean by coggs?

There can only be so many things causing a no spark issue. Ans considering your truck is almost 30 yrs old its very possible some of the electronics can fail at any time.

What exactly happens when you hit the starter? Does it spin? Does it sound like it`s even trying? Any codes? I dont see a EGR causing a no start. I would double check that you are on the compression stroke and still lined up on the timing tab and the rotor is pointing the correct way.

You are asking for help but when someone suggests something you shoot it down because you dont know how you can be wrong. Pretend you dont know anything and follow the advice given. Might just fix your problem. Wouldnt be the first time I saw a problem fixed after the owner knew for sure that wasnt the problem.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #28
Chevy3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
I`m on less than 2 hours sleep but WTH is a bug and what do you mean by coggs?

There can only be so many things causing a no spark issue. Ans considering your truck is almost 30 yrs old its very possible some of the electronics can fail at any time.

What exactly happens when you hit the starter? Does it spin? Does it sound like it`s even trying? Any codes? I dont see a EGR causing a no start. I would double check that you are on the compression stroke and still lined up on the timing tab and the rotor is pointing the correct way.

You are asking for help but when someone suggests something you shoot it down because you dont know how you can be wrong. Pretend you dont know anything and follow the advice given. Might just fix your problem. Wouldnt be the first time I saw a problem fixed after the owner knew for sure that wasnt the problem.

I guess different parts of the country can have different terminology. A bug is just a different name for a rotor in the distributer. I hope I didn't come across like I wasn't taking peoples advice but I have triple checked my timing and made sure my distributer is stabbed correctly. I appreciate all the help and suggestions I have gotten but I am not 180 degrees off. I was the first to question myself whether I may have stabbed it off but I have triple checked myself at this point. Sorry if I made hard feelings
Old 03-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #29
68c10owner

Quote:
I guess different parts of the country can have different terminology. A bug is just a different name for a rotor in the distributer.
Maybe but in my 27 years of wrenching on cars and trucks I`ve never heard that term before.

And what are these coggs your talking about?
Old 03-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #30
Chevy3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
Maybe but in my 27 years of wrenching on cars and trucks I`ve never heard that term before.

And what are these coggs your talking about?
The 8 triangular shaped coggs in the center pickup coil assembly. They were touching the outer edges of the of the pick up coil. Just years of wear & tear I guess.

By the way I just installed a new distributer and it solved my problem. It was just plain worn out and when I pulled it I just amplified an already existing problem. She started right up and puts like a kitten.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #31
68c10owner

Quote:
The 8 triangular shaped coggs in the center pickup coil assembly. They were touching the outer edges of the of the pick up coil. Just years of wear & tear I guess.

By the way I just installed a new distributer and it solved my problem. It was just plain worn out and when I pulled it I just amplified an already existing problem. She started right up and puts like a kitten.
Coggs are like gears. On the pick up coil those are not coggs or gears. I`m betting you had a bad pick up coil. Glad it works though.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #32
chrismoore701

Good team effort guys
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #33
Chevy3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Good team effort guys
Thanks for everyone's help. I hope to post a thread later about my NV450 swap and all the parts I used. I just drove it today for the first time. Feels like a completely different truck