The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #26
toolboxchev

Re: Lifter Tick after rebuild

Yes I like their oil also, I chose Valvoline products due in part to being readily available at the chain box stores.

I would have not thought the pushrods and valve rockers as a cause. Nice job getting it back together.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #27
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Re: Lifter Tick after rebuild

Thanks - it been a while since I actually worked a motor problem. Knock on wood, all my stuff runs good. Last summer, I lost a ring in the OE motor on the Blazer, it was already punched at 40 over from the last rebuild in 2006, it has been my DD since 2005. So, with the help of the machine shop, found the right 010 block, spec'd it out to 9.87 compression /375 HP. The only thing OE inside that motor is the crank, rods and the carb on top. The crank was/is in perfect shape (good oil), everything else is aftermarket. So it can be done. But, setting up the lash, I remembered that old engine builder would put a dot on the pushrods near the rocker arm. Then he would see if them turned slowly when running, that was a indication the tension wasn't to great or any abnormal movement. If you see in the picture, the yellow dot on the pushrod, that is what helped me figure it out and ensure it was put back together correctly. I guess that is what you can call "Old Skool".

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote