The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #26
Livrat
Member #1049

Re: LFD's C50 Web build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Do you guys think the rear wheel arches will need to be enlarged to match the larger radius of the front?
Hmmmm... You may be right, Haven't even pondered that one yet..
I cant wait to get it in the shop and start!!
But................. I guess I should finish the customers 1 ton dually 4X4 that's in the shop first..
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #27
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
Hmmmm... You may be right, Haven't even pondered that one yet..
I cant wait to get it in the shop and start!!
But................. I guess I should finish the customers 1 ton dually 4X4 that's in the shop first..
Do you have a pic of your customers 1ton dually 4x4?
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #28
Rokcrln

Yeah it sucks how customers projects get in the way of playing doesn't it But all in due time and as for the B post I think you are on your own for that one. It would be almost impossible to do one off the vehicle and have it all work out. Plus then it would be you getting in the way of me playing

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #29
MickMc

Thanks for the pictures Mark and Kevin.

I've been thinking about this kind of build for the past year and after talking to the guy who is going to do the sheetmetal work he suggested starting with a Kodiak frame engine and running gear then use the suburban for the four door base and use a truck back window sheet metal.
My question is do I need (or should I use) the C60 cab or can I use the suburban cab. Is the C60 front fenders different enough that I need the C60 cab or can I get away with the suburban as my cab base.

I've located a few 67-70 C60s but I'm wondering do I really need anything more than just a front clip, not the complete truck.

Mick
MickMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #30
Rokcrln

I think their are several differences but it is mainly for engine and tire fitment so as long as you have the C50 front sheetmetal and a good sheetmetal man it should all work out. I am not real sure how the front C50 bolts on but I do know their are a few odd brackets that you will want to get along with the front clip and then just fab the rest.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #31
Rokcrln

Looking for a C50 front clip!

If any of you guys who are better at searching the net come across a C50 front clip and running boards for a good price in the Northern Ca area please let me know. I figure I might as well start collecting parts for the day I start this one. The truck I listed I can get for $1K but I will really only be using the front clip and running boards so if I can get one much cheaper it would be worth it to me to pick up. So see what you can find for me and I will try and make it worth your wild in some way. I am near Sacramento, my zip is 95964.

PM me if you find something for me to check out.

Thanks guys!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #32
Livrat
Member #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW DOUGH View Post
Do you have a pic of your customers 1ton dually 4x4?
I do have a few pictures of "how it came to me" it was a project that was started by someone else who did a decent job of the frame work and 4X4 conversion but really screwed the owner over on the rust repair,(put rockers on over rusty A pillars, installed the rockers without test fitting the doors, cut the bottom off of the drivers door to try and make it fit, then built up the passenger side rocker with duraglass to make up for having it too low) he then quit and took off with all the parts and money paid to do the project.
Its really a cool concept.. Dana 60 front axle, Remote Dodge 205 transfer case, 4 wheel disc brakes, 14 bolt corp rear with semi truck 4 link rear suspension and air bags.. (waaay overkill on the rear suspension).. its getting a 540 cu Merlin big block Chev and a built T400 trans..
So far I have cut pretty much most of the bottom of the outer cab off and replaced the A pillars, door post pillars, and put on new rockers, new doors, etrc.. I will get some more progress pics soon..
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #33
Livrat
Member #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMc View Post
Thanks for the pictures Mark and Kevin.

I've been thinking about this kind of build for the past year and after talking to the guy who is going to do the sheetmetal work he suggested starting with a Kodiak frame engine and running gear then use the suburban for the four door base and use a truck back window sheet metal.
My question is do I need (or should I use) the C60 cab or can I use the suburban cab. Is the C60 front fenders different enough that I need the C60 cab or can I get away with the suburban as my cab base.

I've located a few 67-70 C60s but I'm wondering do I really need anything more than just a front clip, not the complete truck.

Mick

Mick, you could just use the C60 nose and the Burb as your cab base.. but like Kevin says, there are a number of little brackets you should get along with the front clip...
To make things easier for me I plan to use the entire firewall and lower A pillars out of my C60 and put it on the burb.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #34
Livrat
Member #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Looking for a C50 front clip!

If any of you guys who are better at searching the net come across a C50 front clip and running boards for a good price in the Northern Ca area please let me know. I figure I might as well start collecting parts for the day I start this one. The truck I listed I can get for $1K but I will really only be using the front clip and running boards so if I can get one much cheaper it would be worth it to me to pick up. So see what you can find for me and I will try and make it worth your wild in some way. I am near Sacramento, my zip is 95964.

PM me if you find something for me to check out.

Thanks guys!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Kevin, I will keep a look out for you as I am now constantly searching for them.. seems like once you get one many more show up.. LOL..
I have found quite a number of complete ones fairly cheap within WA, OR, and Idaho.. but none were just for parts.. I had looked at a couple locally and had the thought of just scrapping the leftovers, But when I talked with a buddy who owns a large wrecking yard (complete with a crusher) about taking the remains.. he said NO THANKS!! way too big.. He would have to charge me quite I bit unless I cut it up into small pieces..
I got real lucky with the cab I bought as the owner wanted the dump bed to put on his later model C60, and didn't mind cutting up the rest...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #35
MickMc

A buddy of mine in Kalfonicated said he found a front clip in Oregon for 750.
Price seemed high, plus freight...

Still searching...
MickMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #36
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

MickMc,

There is a wrecking yard here in Las Cruces with a wrecker I was told it could be bought for $750 without the transmission.

Doug

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by low'n slow; 12-09-2009 at 10:51 PM.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #37
Rokcrln

Well heck then I guess 1K for the one 2 blocks from my house running and driving is not a bad deal. The flat bed (hydro PTO dump) comes off unless I wanted to pay 2K and keep it, ya no thanks! So maybe I will talk to him again in the next few weeks but I know if I do and buy it I will find two for free the next week.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #38
Livrat
Member #1049

Here's a nose in Eugene Or, for $500.. they also have the cab for $750 with factory tach..

Scroll down to "Cabs and noses"
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D18%26um%3D1

Last edited by Livrat; 12-09-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #39
Rokcrln

Quote:
Here's a nose in Eugene Or, for $500.. they also have the cab for $750 with factory tach..

Scroll down to "Cabs and noses"
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D18%26um%3D1
Yep 1K is sounding better all the time. Now I just need to find$998.58 and I will be set So is their a market for the manual trans, pto drive, chassis and suspension? I would need to get it and pull what I need and get rid of the rest because I don't think it will make the 90* turn into my alley access.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #40
Livrat
Member #1049

1K is not too bad considering its close.. I have found several running ones the the $500-$800 range but the closest one was a five hour drive away.

There should be some marketablity is for the running gear.. the one I pulled the cab off of had a clark 5spd over drive and a 2 spd rear axle with.. Although I don't think there would be a great demand for the chassis and suspension
Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #41
Rokcrln

Quote:
1K is not too bad considering its close.. I have found several running ones the the $500-$800 range but the closest one was a five hour drive away.

There should be some marketablity is for the running gear.. the one I pulled the cab off of had a clark 5spd over drive and a 2 spd rear axle with.. Although I don't think there would be a great demand for the chassis and suspension
This one has the 2 spd rear but I am not sure what kind of a manual is in their. I did not bother shifting the gears as it was sitting behind two other old trucks in the yard.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #42
sleepertruck72

Seems like a decent deal, here are two I stumbled upon ...

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/1492206223.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1493356806.html
Old 12-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #43
Livrat
Member #1049

Kevin, I just went back to look at the pics of the one for $1k.. I totally missed it had a Tach/Vac dash.. and probably an 80LB oil pressure gauge.. you could pull the oil pressure gauge and get about $50 for it, then sell the tach/vac dash for $350, small block for $300 or so.
Hmmmmm... offer him $800.. sell the goodies, ... cut the frame up sell it for scrap.. and be in it $100 or so... now thats attractive!!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #44
Livrat
Member #1049

The Modesto one looks like a real good deal.. it has the tall deck 427.. (always nice to have laying around) possibly the cool hood with the side louvers and 427 badges, it also may have a tach/vac too.... good things its too far away!!

Last edited by Livrat; 12-10-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #45
Rokcrln

Yeah that 427 would be cool to just have in the corner of the shop but I have no way of hauling it that far as my 16' car trailer would not handle that nor would LowBuck pulling it See this is why I need to build one!

And yes factory tac dash, vac, oil, radio delete, Protecto plate (I already bought the Plate and book) and I would use the firewall and other cab parts for my conversion. I am toying with doing a "B" pillar less crew cab and have the rear doors suicide but the Burb conversion is much easier for me to do so who knows.

Kevin
LFD inc.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #46
SkullCandy

Here a GMC in looking to get depending if the onwer will give me the ownership... and maybe restore then put it work.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #47
Rokcrln

I like the 427 side vents!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #48
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

do you have AAA?

what kind of towing coverage do you have?

tow it to my house in galt [south sac] and then tow it to your place the next day.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #49
64shortc10

KEVIN YOU ARE CRAZY!
My brother-in-law has a 2004.5 chevy duramax motor, let me know if you are intrested!
Tony from Norcal
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #50
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tons of fun View Post
do you have AAA?

what kind of towing coverage do you have?

tow it to my house in galt [south sac] and then tow it to your place the next day.
I am waiting for pics, I guess it has rust in the floor and he says that is it but I know how that goes. Can any of you recommend a guy to fix the rust for me if I get it He thinks he can get a 1 day moving permit but who knows, we will see if the pics ever show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortc10 View Post
KEVIN YOU ARE CRAZY!
My brother-in-law has a 2004.5 chevy duramax motor, let me know if you are intrested!
Tony from Norcal
I would like to see it and see just how big they are if nothing else. But I am still thinking Turbo Cummins as this will be a lower buck build if I do one.

Kevin
LFD Inc.