The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
endlessearth

Re: What to do with my 62... build?

I think that both black wheels with whitewalls and white wheels with blackwalls would look good but I am really partial to the pic you posted with the white wheels.

BTW, you work in a really beautiful place. Is that Lake Mead?
endlessearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #27
endlessearth

PS - Have you considered steam cleaning your trucks bottom? When I got my '64 a few months ago I invested in having the undercarriage and engine bay professionally steam-cleaned and it was well worth the small investment. I saw how gunked up your rear axle is in one of the photos and it reminded me of what mine used to look like with 49 years of build-up. You will be blown away at the difference. It makes it a lot easier to work on. I know it is probably just my mind playing tricks but it feels like it rides better and runs more smoothly too after the cleaning.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
TommyDuncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessearth View Post
I think that both black wheels with whitewalls and white wheels with blackwalls would look good but I am really partial to the pic you posted with the white wheels.

BTW, you work in a really beautiful place. Is that Lake Mead?
It is! Most people turn at the light in Boulder City to head towards the dam and skip the best part of town. If you stay on the main drag it takes you through the part of town built in the 30's, around a hairpin turn, and to this awesome view of the lake right below the Bureau of Reclamation. Then it meets up with the road you would be on if you turned at the light.

Quote:
PS - Have you considered steam cleaning your trucks bottom? When I got my '64 a few months ago I invested in having the undercarriage and engine bay professionally steam-cleaned and it was well worth the small investment. I saw how gunked up your rear axle is in one of the photos and it reminded me of what mine used to look like with 49 years of build-up. You will be blown away at the difference. It makes it a lot easier to work on. I know it is probably just my mind playing tricks but it feels like it rides better and runs more smoothly too after the cleaning.
I plan on doing that in the very near future. The rear diff isn't nearly as bad as the rest of it. I use one of my friends pressure washer at his work but the steam isn't working right now. I could use my best friends but he is a clean freak and I might make a mess.
I might have to break down and pay someone to do it, although it kills me!
When I worked at the race shop at the speedway or neighbor had an outdoor lift. When they went home we would break out the pressure washer and do all of our cars. We finally got caught and worked out a deal to trade out the use of our magnaflux machine for their lift.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #29
Low Elco

This thing is cool! Love the OG'ness of it!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
TommyDuncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
This thing is cool! Love the OG'ness of it!
Thanks man! I'm trying to come up with an idea to repaint the stripe but change it up a little since the clear is peeling off of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDuncan View Post
Today's mission is to go from this

To this....

I was gonna hit it with some gloss black but these wheels are somewhat temporary anyways so I thought I would see how it looks with white.

I will show how I adapted the nub wheel to work with clips later...
...right now I gotta sneak that spare tire back into the museum before they realize it was me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess I should follow up on this...

So after I drilled and mounted the clips I noticed they weren't high enough compared to the stockers. The problem is after I spaced them taller(I used some nylon 3/8" spacers from Lowe's hardware section since I could squish them a little if necessary) they were too far from the inner edge of the wheel that the hubcap rests against.
So I disassembled, bent, and reassembled them countless times to get them to clamp.
I could get them to work Individually but not all together...
I decided to enjoy a cool drink in the pool to give this some thought(be glad I don't have pics)...
That was when I figured it out...
I loosened all of the clips, turned them all inward so they were out of the way, and tried to put the cap on the wheel...

It wouldn't fit...It was slightly egg shaped!!! That was the whole problem!

So I straightened the cap and it works great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #31
tjabv2

Talking Re: What to do with my 62... build?

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I feel that the east coast is in need of a nice original truck. Hopefully you will stop your upgrades and give me a shout, and a price, so that I can be on this site with this truck.
Tim
tjabv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
TommyDuncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjabv2 View Post
I feel that the east coast is in need of a nice original truck. Hopefully you will stop your upgrades and give me a shout, and a price, so that I can be on this site with this truck.
Tim
I haven't modified anything that can't be returned to stock and I still have all the stock parts. I'm not really thinking of selling it...
...but I am always open to offers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #33
endlessearth

Quote:
I haven't modified anything that can't be returned to stock and I still have all the stock parts. I'm not really thinking of selling it...
...but I am always open to offers
Posted via Mobile Device
You sell that truck and I swear that I will drive up from Scottsdale and pee in Lake Mead. I want to be able to think about the fact that I might happen to spy your cool C10 every time my wife and I drive thru Boulder City on the way to see my in-laws in Henderson. That way I can have some happy thoughts to go along with the sense of foreboding and hopelessness that deepens every time we pass the dam.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #34
TommyDuncan

Quote:
You sell that truck and I swear that I will drive up from Scottsdale and pee in Lake Mead. I want to be able to think about the fact that I might happen to spy your cool C10 every time my wife and I drive thru Boulder City on the way to see my in-laws in Henderson. That way I can have some happy thoughts to go along with the sense of foreboding and hopelessness that deepens every time we pass the dam.

I needed a laugh! We were debating if we should walk out of a restaurant where we are being ignored...

That's not much of a threat since the majority of that water goes to L.A. and has already been pee numerous times. My grandpa, uncle, and dad worked at the dam for the L.A. DWP so I know all about it...

I did move to Henderson a few weeks ago though so let me know when you are in town!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #35
tjabv2

endless....., I'll send you a pic from PA to take with you on each visit to the inlaws. Help me out here bro.
Tim
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
TommyDuncan

Fire!

The truck caught on fire today...

I was just getting out at the Lowe's near my house and I heard something and saw some smoke. It was the aftermarket ammeter/oil pressure gauge mounted under the dash. The big 10 gauge going to the ammeter was smoking and glowing so I tried to rip it off the back of the gauge... no luck.
I remembered that there was an extinguisher under the seat so I grabbed it.. didn't work.
By now the interior is filling with smoke and the fire was definitely getting bigger..
...since I worked in racing I thought how handy an electrical kill switch would be right now. So I lifted the hood and got the battery cables to come off... WHEW!
This truck had a wooden box on the console when I got it containing a stereo, CB, a scanner and a couple Radio Shack speakers. I removed it because I didn't like it or scotchlocks in the wiring(or even crimp connectors really). The fire would have been much worse if it was still right there in the way.

I just got it home. The whole charging/starter harness is toast, especially around the voltage fegulator. Other than that I'm not sure but it doesn't look like it did any other damage.

Unfortunately I have to be somewhere so I can't dig into it now...

I think this calls for an alternator upgrade!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #37
tjabv2

Glad you were able to keep it to a minimum....those things can get out of control real quick.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #38
TommyDuncan

I dug into the wiring. Most of the smoke came from the little oil line going to the oil pressure gauge. Wire is the only other thing that burned. I got lucky.
I started digging through all the stuff that came with my spare motors and realized I have all the stuff to convert it to an alternator. I also have a 10si in my other truck that isn't running at the moment.

A little cleaning, painting, soldering and heat shrinking and it should be back on the road!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #39
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
I dug into the wiring. Most of the smoke came from the little oil line going to the oil pressure gauge. Wire is the only other thing that burned. I got lucky.
I started digging through all the stuff that came with my spare motors and realized I have all the stuff to convert it to an alternator. I also have a 10si in my other truck that isn't running at the moment.

A little cleaning, painting, soldering and heat shrinking and it should be back on the road!
Posted via Mobile Device
The same thing happened to me! I had hooked up my electric fuel pump to an on and off switch on the dash, 10 gauge wire going to the switch and 12 gauge going to the pump(first mistake), plus it was a 25 amp switch(second mistake). So fuel pump is working great, let it idle, go over everything.....Decide to take it for a drive....Go about 6 miles; turn around and as I'm on my way back smoke starts coming up from under the dash and then the truck dies....I immediately knew it was the switch burning so I jerked both wires from the switch. Ran out and pulled the wire off the battery. The 10 gauge wire go so hot it melted itself to the fender wells and to everything it was touching!!!!!!!! Course I'm stuck on the side of the road right....SO, I hook a straight hot wire from the battery to the pump and quickly drove it home....SO I then hooked it back to the wire back to the starter an called it good. Now all I have to do is turn the key and the fuel pump will come on....At least I think it will! HAHAHAH!!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #40
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Scary stuff. Might be a good time to switch to a voltmeter. Glad to hear it didn't get completely out of control.