The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #26
sKnNyPpY

Re: 69 chevy feeling tired!

I would at least make sure the fusible link is still there. Many of them have burned out over the years and been bypassed by previous owners.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #27
mechanicalman

Longstepper-

NEVER run an un-fused wire in your passenger compartment, and keep in mind if you blow a fuseable link other things will be disabled.

Ignore the bantering. I know, it's hard to sort through the the injured egos telling you this and that and this leaves you with conflicting answers.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #28
Longbedstepper

Thanks guys I will start by making sure everything is tight, then use some thicker wire for ignition. That won't be until Sunday but I will keep you posted!

Also, does 15-16 hg. Vacuum coming from the right side port on the front of the carb sound right?
Longbedstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #29
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Going Forward == Future
Presently == Right now
Looking Back == Past

ROTFLOLPMP!

As flattered as I am that you're obsessed with me, keep it related to trucks please.
davepl 9-17-14 @ 01:36pm: "Going forward I'm just going to stay out of threads you're involved in".

Edit alert! Have a nice day "in your truck" LOL that relates to trucks. Get it? LOL

Last edited by mechanicalman; 09-17-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: forgot to add "have a nice day" LOL
Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #30
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Longstepper-

NEVER run an un-fused wire in your passenger compartment, and keep in mind if you blow a fuseable link other things will be disabled.

Ignore the bantering. I know, it's hard to sort through the the injured egos telling you this and that and this leaves you with conflicting answers.
Unless you're GM. Then you can do it for your TH400 kickdown harness, your cigarette lighter harness, your AUX battery relay harness, your glovebox light harness, your tach harness, your big orange wire for the HIGH setting for your blower fan (on AC trucks), your camper harness, and so on. All of these, per GM, connect to an unfused ignition terminal at the fusebox and run within the passenger compartment.

In fact, I believe the original breaker point resistance wire is unfused and begins in the passenger compartment as well (though it gets routed to the engine of course). That one's debatable, but there's certainly no distributor fuse.

I have no idea what bad technical advice has to do with egos. Given that I'm consistently right, my ego just keeps getting bigger. Who's is injured?

Last edited by davepl; 09-17-2014 at 07:42 PM.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #31
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Unless you're GM. Then you can do it for your TH400 kickdown harness, your cigarette lighter harness, your AUX battery relay, your glovebox light, your tach, and so on. All of these, per GM, connect to an unfused ignition terminal at the fusebox and run within the passenger compartment.

In fact, I believe the original breaker point resistance wire is unfused as well (though not in the passenger compartment).

I have no idea what bad technical advice has to do with egos. Given that I'm consistently right, my ego just keeps getting bigger. Who's is injured?
You are. You have a learning dis-ability. Asked, and answered.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 09-17-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Oh I forgot
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #32
Mike C

What seems like eons ago now, when I did small cap MSD HEI converison in the Jimmy, I used 12ga wire which was same size that the MSD distributor came with. I plugged it into the spade connector on the fusebox marked IGN. This has worked fine for at least 15 years.

It makes for an easy way to disable the vehicle as well if you wish to have an additional anti theft method when you park somewhere that you worry about the truck.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #33
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
What seems like eons ago now, when I did small cap MSD HEI converison in the Jimmy, I used 12ga wire which was same size that the MSD distributor came with. I plugged it into the spade connector on the fusebox marked IGN. This has worked fine for at least 15 years.

It makes for an easy way to disable the vehicle as well if you wish to have an additional anti theft method when you park somewhere that you worry about the truck.
Yes it would LOL