The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #26
vettedrvr
Account Suspended

Re: 67-72 pickups the new "hot" buy in collector cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
And the prices go sky high do to silly money paid at well known auctions...I used to have the 47-54 trucks and then those prices got jacked up. i also see the slowly rising prices on square body trucks.
Damn, in a few years the only thing affordable will be Dodges...
Or....choke...FORDS!
vettedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #27
vettedrvr
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckian View Post
The 67-72 chevys have definitely gone up in price but it's not only these trucks. It's most 50's-70's vehicles and even some early 80's vehicles that are now priced like exotics. The auctions definitely do their part but I also see a lot of inflated values coming from those restoration "reality" shows. I even had one guy try and justify what he was asking for his truck by saying I could invest a couple thousand into it and triple my money just like the guys do on "fast and loud". I chuckled when he said it thinking he was joking but he was quite serious. Needless to say I walked away shaking my head.
The same phenomenon happened to buying storage lockers a auction. As soon as Auction Wars glamorized and dramatized it, it became the new "in" thing to do and prices skyrocketed.
The Homer and Jethro of antique cars from fartmonkey gawrage? Discovery Channel did everyone a disservice by picking those clowns for a show. I'd rather watch re-runs of Maude with needles stuck in my eyes.
Attached Images

vettedrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
canuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettedrvr View Post
The Homer and Jethro of antique cars from fartmonkey gawrage? Discovery Channel did everyone a disservice by picking those clowns for a show. I'd rather watch re-runs of Maude with needles stuck in my eyes.
Yep those guys. There are many examples of the same type of show out there but that bunch takes the cake. If that Richard guy
could keep his fingers out of his greasy hair for at least a few minutes I might have made it all the way through at least one episode. Sadly though, they have had an influence (albeit a negative one) on the older vehicle community.
canuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

First one I owned was a 1970 I bought and beat the crap out of back in 1987. The 250ci can run on only a quart of oil in the crank case without any problems, true story.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #30
bronze 72 super

That's the power of the Media!!! It sole purpose is too brainwash people into believing whatever they are selling!! People are like sheep, one goes over the cliff........
2000 Tahoe Z-71
2004 Monte Carlo S.S. Supercharged Dale Earnhardt Intimidator
1970 Chevelle, Malibu Sport Coupe
2007 Harley-Davidson FLHX Street Glide
bronze 72 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #31
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronze 72 super View Post
That's the power of the Media!!! It sole purpose is too brainwash people into believing whatever they are selling!! People are like sheep, one goes over the cliff........
+1 there! The media has this country so bass ackwards its not even funny.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #32
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Posted this awhile back...

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/why-old-...521024037.html
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #33
DarkFlounder

So long as the "trend" leans towards short stepsides. I'm hoping to score a few more longbed fleetside 4x4s before they get priced out of my range.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #34
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

I have liked the 67 to 72 chevy trucks since I saw them on the road riding my bike down to the esso station as a kid , I have drove these trucks my whole life , my first car in 1983 was a 1971 pure POS VIRGINIA RUSTBUCKET C10 ! Ive had 20 or so of these trucks almost all were va rust wagons I knew these trucks were just plain cool as a kid , in the 80s internet was not like it is now I thought all these trucks were rusted junk till I figured out they rusted 1000% worse in va than anywhere else and so I got my nice almost rust free 67 shortbed in 06 and will own it forever !

The price on these trucks has gone up ,,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #35
sventinker

I have been in the pre 1967 vw bus scene for over 20 years and it was a fun and cheap hobby that over the last 10 years or so has gotten out of hand. A few years back a 1963 23 window bus sold for over 200k at a large televised auction and IMO the paint was way off. Since then my bus has doubled in value but the trade off is parts hording has driven the costs up so high even if you can find a decent part you cant afford it. One example is I have the correct middle seat for my bus and because of their rarity I could sell it for 2500-3000. I used to see those seats at the swap market for 100 bucks and the sellers would likely be taking them home that day. I am new in this hobby and hope I can build a decent truck before it gets out of hand. fortunately I will sell my bus to help fund the build. My point is the over inflated values ruined the vw scene. The new people are snobs and many of the original people have changed too. When did waving to each other stop? Well if you see me in my 70 c-10 I'll be waving
sventinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #36
AWKS1

I've been driving these trucks off and on since the early 90s. I paid a little over 600.00 for a decent running 70 in 1993. that same truck today would probably fetch 4-5 thousand! Just a couple years ago we bought my nephew a non-running 72 for $2200.00 and since then have dumped a boat load of cash and time into it and its still no where close to being road worthy!

#TEAMLONGBED #LWB
69 C-20 70 C-10 72 C-10
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry...
AWKS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #37
nlped

My first ride was a rough a$$ 74 Monte Carlo, but I traded it to a kid I went to high school with for a '69 Longbed 2wd, and have been hooked on these ole trucks ever since (that was 1984). I've either had a 67-72 or a square in my "collection" ever since. There just great, serviceable old trucks. Who woulda guessed they'd end up "cool".

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #38
RedRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventinker View Post
I have been in the pre 1967 vw bus scene for over 20 years and it was a fun and cheap hobby that over the last 10 years or so has gotten out of hand. A few years back a 1963 23 window bus sold for over 200k at a large televised auction and IMO the paint was way off. Since then my bus has doubled in value but the trade off is parts hording has driven the costs up so high even if you can find a decent part you cant afford it. One example is I have the correct middle seat for my bus and because of their rarity I could sell it for 2500-3000. I used to see those seats at the swap market for 100 bucks and the sellers would likely be taking them home that day. I am new in this hobby and hope I can build a decent truck before it gets out of hand. fortunately I will sell my bus to help fund the build. My point is the over inflated values ruined the vw scene. The new people are snobs and many of the original people have changed too. When did waving to each other stop? Well if you see me in my 70 c-10 I'll be waving
X2 especially on the community. Im 3rd generation in a VW family and have been into them heavy my whole life. Back then they were a dime a dozen and picked up all my rides under $300 (including an all original 15 window bus which I still have today). There are a few parts I need to complete a few vehicles and the prices are so outrageous that I realize I will never get them. Like you mentioned a middle seat for the 15 is a 61-63 only and runs $3K, oval vert rear view mirror $400 and visors $500 for reproductions, double for nice originals. The last offer for my bus was $42K and its not even restored! CRAZY!!!

The community is the sad part. New guys are all about status and act like the 356 crowd. The young guys would never stop to help someone let alone wave. Ive worked at several shops over the years and at the last (well known) one there was a young guy who was all about racing. I was always out in the shop talking to customers and helping out as much as I could answering questions and troubleshooting probems. He would get all mad especially if I didnt make a sale and asked "why do you always want to help people, what do you get out of it?" I tried to explain what the old VW community was about but he never got it, helping someone without some kind of compensation was not something he could comprehend. With the shop owner only interested in $ and saying what ever he needed to say to sell his junk empi parts and the kid a good representation of where things were going I realized the end was here. I quit the shop, sold a few cars and started back with my old trucks again. What is unfortunate is I see the same thing happening in the classic car world as a whole. Its more about the $ and status than the community.

Ill never sell the bus since its so useful and never restore it so I can keep using it not being afraid of a scratch or dent. I wish the diehards would unite!
Attached Images

RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #39
bronze 72 super

Just watched that show "Counting Cars", these people are just in the game to flip cars, and make as much money as possible. I've seen these kind of people for years, as others have also. I enjoy my cars, drive them, than maybe sell one for a small profit. Nothing outrageous just a little extra cash. That is what this hobby was all about, 20 years ago or longer, that has all changed. Like anything else, it's all about the cash, these younger group of folks now just don't understand what the hobby is all about. Sooner or later it's all going to come to a head. Who knows what will happen in the future.
2000 Tahoe Z-71
2004 Monte Carlo S.S. Supercharged Dale Earnhardt Intimidator
1970 Chevelle, Malibu Sport Coupe
2007 Harley-Davidson FLHX Street Glide
bronze 72 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #40
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
X2 especially on the community. Im 3rd generation in a VW family and have been into them heavy my whole life. Back then they were a dime a dozen and picked up all my rides under $300 (including an all original 15 window bus which I still have today). There are a few parts I need to complete a few vehicles and the prices are so outrageous that I realize I will never get them. Like you mentioned a middle seat for the 15 is a 61-63 only and runs $3K, oval vert rear view mirror $400 and visors $500 for reproductions, double for nice originals. The last offer for my bus was $42K and its not even restored! CRAZY!!!

The community is the sad part. New guys are all about status and act like the 356 crowd. The young guys would never stop to help someone let alone wave. Ive worked at several shops over the years and at the last (well known) one there was a young guy who was all about racing. I was always out in the shop talking to customers and helping out as much as I could answering questions and troubleshooting probems. He would get all mad especially if I didnt make a sale and asked "why do you always want to help people, what do you get out of it?" I tried to explain what the old VW community was about but he never got it, helping someone without some kind of compensation was not something he could comprehend. With the shop owner only interested in $ and saying what ever he needed to say to sell his junk empi parts and the kid a good representation of where things were going I realized the end was here. I quit the shop, sold a few cars and started back with my old trucks again. What is unfortunate is I see the same thing happening in the classic car world as a whole. Its more about the $ and status than the community.

Ill never sell the bus since its so useful and never restore it so I can keep using it not being afraid of a scratch or dent. I wish the diehards would unite!
That's a sweet bus Tony. I wouldn't paint it either. It's a keeper just like it sits.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #41
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlounder View Post
So long as the "trend" leans towards short stepsides. I'm hoping to score a few more longbed fleetside 4x4s before they get priced out of my range.
x2 agree. I need to find space for one more!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #42
RedRoad

Thanks Jeff, I call it "the coffin" for a reason
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote