The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2017, 02:18 AM   #26
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Re: '71-72 C30 vs. F350

To me the biggest difference is the pre '72 Fords came standard equipped with an invisibility cloak, I haven't seen one in quite some time.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #27
Ken B

Back in the mid 80's my very first vehicle was a well worn but taken care of 64 F-100 short bed utility body truck. It was purchased new by Connecticut Light & Power and used for many yrs. as a service truck. I purchased it from a small family owned electrical company after they had used it for many yrs. as a service truck as well. It had a 223 engine and a 3 on the tree. Say what you want about Ford's but I used that truck for at least 3 yrs. and it never let me down. I wound up selling it to a guy who had a one man plumbing operation. He restored the truck at that time and he still has it to this day... She still looks pretty good!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #28
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeady View Post
Mechanically- there's not a ton different between the Ford and Chevy. The twin I-beam is a target for the GM crowd but I think if it's well maintained and you get someone that can do a legit alignment on it, it's not markedly worse than the upper / lower control arm arrangement (but certainly not better).
Here on the island where I live there was only one guy who could do a "legit" alignment on these Fords, Kresgie's in East Patchogue. Back in the day if you drove by his shop you would see a bunch of Ford trucks straight from the dealer with window stickers still on them in his parking lot. I guess dealers got tired of hearing complaints about tires wearing out too fast. So they must've started checking alignments before delivering them to customers and the trucks that were out of spec went to this guy for alignment. My father bought a used Ford and after wearing out a set of fronts was sent to this guy by another alignment shop. Try finding that kind of honesty again! Unfortunately for anyone around here with one of those trucks he left NY for the "live free or die" state in the early 2000's.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote