The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #1
Boog
laying low

Re: What did you do yo your truck today??

I'm sorry. I didn't know you were dealing with two vehicles.
How long will the 99 run backwards? When the engine runs backwards, so does the oil pump. Could damage bearings and such.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:46 PM   #2
Just call me Sean

When it runs backwards fast it will go for about two seconds or so. When it runs slow it will go longer at about one revolution per second.

I'll have to change the starter first, but I guess next I'll unplug the crankshaft sensor and see what it does. Unplug some sensors one at a time and try to force a code.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #3
Just call me Sean

Changed the starter. Fired right up, backwards. Unplugged the crankshaft sensor, no start and got a crankshaft sensor code.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:50 PM   #4
Just call me Sean

Removed the crankshaft sensor and it has been contacting the gear. Installed it loose and it still ran backwards. Tightened it back down. Removed the cap and rotor to inspect them and make sure the distributor was still aligned. It is. Reinstalled and fired right up, running good. I did bend the rotor tab up to make better contact with the cap, but I don't think that is the problem. I think it just decided to run again.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2022, 11:31 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

Something is advancing the timing too far causing the engine to kick back which is hard on starters too. Possibly a pinched or partially broken wire going to the distributor or ecm? Have you had a scanner hooked up to watch live data? Faulty computer or corroded wires there?
I once had a start/no start/shut off while driving issue on a Blazer. For months I fooled with that one. Finally I started grabbing wire harnesses under the hood and moving them around then I found the issue. The wires going into the side of the distributor had been pinched and when I lifted up on the harness it shut the engine off. No start. I pushed them back down and it started again. Ahah. Bad harness and could not see damage from the outside.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:52 AM   #6
Just call me Sean

I think it's fixed now. I took it for a drive and it ran better than it used to. Whenever I don't get codes it's usually a tune up/routine maintenance type of problem. I got out the old rotor and could tell the bend that I straightened on the new one was pretty severe, about a quarter inch. It must have left such a large gap that the spark took longer to jump the gap and fired the cylinders at least one off, but everything the computer sees was functioning correctly so no codes. So, brand new Duralast rotor is junk. It has started every time since, but I don't quite trust it yet because it has fooled me before. I'm going to order an AC Delco or Delphi rotor to swap on. I don't know how much better it will be but it is a different design than the Duralast one.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
Just call me Sean

I tried to start the 99 and it went backwards again. I didn't get another new rotor yet so I put the old one I saved back on. It started right up.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:13 AM   #8
Boog
laying low

I know you've replaced the dist cap already but what are the chances this crab cap is randomly leaking spark? Use a spray bottle of water over the dist and wires?
Did I mention I hate electrical issues?

Old 02-18-2022, 02:13 AM   #9
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I know you've replaced the dist cap already but what are the chances this crab cap is randomly leaking spark? Use a spray bottle of water over the dist and wires?
Did I mention I hate electrical issues?
It's possible, the cap may be the same crap quality. I don't even know which would be good quality, I hear they all suck. The wires had burn marks all over, and they were changed right before I got the truck. I'm going to order the AC Delco rotor and see what happens, get the AC Delco cap if it keeps doing it, and if it still does it I'll get the whole distributor since it seems it starts after I touch it. Wiggling the wires to it and thumping it while running doesn't make it stall though.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:37 PM   #10
Just call me Sean

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

It's only been six months, of course it's time for brakes again on the 93. And one rotor. I'll install them later or tomorrow, among other things.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #11
Boog
laying low

Gave my red sportsider a good car wash scrubbing. First since the snow and ice we had. Looking ready for springtime now.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:33 PM   #12
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Gave my red sportsider a good car wash scrubbing. First since the snow and ice we had. Looking ready for springtime now.
How about a picture?
Old 02-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #13
Boog
laying low

Yeah. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #14
Boog
laying low

Washed up after the ice and snow.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #15
Just call me Sean

Here's where I'm at right now. Picked up a pitman arm puller from Harbor Freight. Removed the pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm holder and exchanged them for new ones. When I removed the cotter pins from the idler and pitman arms the nuts came off by hand and the center link fell right off. When I removed the nut holding the pitman arm to the steering box the arm fell right off. I knew the pitman arm shaft was worn and the center link, I have a used steering box and center link. I'm taking a break, then I'll get back to it. Removing the steering box next.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

You won't know how to act with a tight front end again.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:15 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Nice. I like the stepside bed better on the regular cab shortbed trucks.
I think it was a bad idea ever offering the Sportside with the extended cab. Totally Dorksville. There is one parked at these condos I've been going to lately. Since the Sportside only came in shortbed, I wanted to say long ago I had a picture of the only one I ever say someone build. I think it looked super cool. That would be a shoulda woulda style custom I'd like to build off a K2500/K3500 SRW. It's on my list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Here's where I'm at right now. Picked up a pitman arm puller from Harbor Freight. Removed the pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm holder and exchanged them for new ones. When I removed the cotter pins from the idler and pitman arms the nuts came off by hand and the center link fell right off. When I removed the nut holding the pitman arm to the steering box the arm fell right off. I knew the pitman arm shaft was worn and the center link, I have a used steering box and center link. I'm taking a break, then I'll get back to it. Removing the steering box next.
I think I'll borrow your idea... one day. I'm about to order a pair of tires for the Suburban. I'd like to see them last a while. They sure ain't cheap! What's funny is the this set of tires never wore uneven and I wasn't so good about rotating after a while

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:42 PM   #18
Just call me Sean

Yea, it's a lot better. The steering wheel is a little more crooked now, about 3/16 off was about 1/8. I'll probably straighten it tomorrow, I think it's going to bug the crap out of me.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #19
Just call me Sean

It took me three tries, but the steering wheel is straight. 3 1/4 turns of the adjuster each side. I managed to leave the wrench on a bolt the second try, but I found it in the driveway.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #20
Boog
laying low

About as close as you can get.
Now how does it drive?

Old 02-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #21
Just call me Sean

Quote:
About as close as you can get.
Now how does it drive?
Much better than before. No more quarter turn slop. Almost as good as the 99, but it needs an alignment.

I put the old distributor cap back on the 99 so I could return the new cap and rotor set. Now it runs like garbage, but it doesn't run backwards. Random cylinder misfire code. The new AC Delco ones will be in tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:05 PM   #22
Boog
laying low

Well Lord have mercy! I hope AC Delco is the cure for your problems.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:44 PM   #23
Just call me Sean

I picked up the cap and rotor but didn't put them on yet. I got a little messy at the junkyard pulling axle shafts for the S10 after work. Gear oil really stinks. I swear I can still smell it, I even bumped up my monthly shower.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:00 PM   #24
Boog
laying low

Oh, no doubt you had an "air" about you.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:15 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Gear oil and diesel are the smell of the devil. Diesel not so bad, but getting ride of the smell is sure hard. Used gear oil is about rank as it gets. Keeps rodents away

What I do to my '95 Suburban everyday is run it a little farther into the ground. I should be ashamed. That poor thing just keeps on taking it. I feel Spring coming on and want to use that as a perk to start knocking down the list and give that loyal dog some love.

Tires are a must be first item. I've been running the tires off my '72 on the rear. Had them all the way around, but when new tires weren't coming along fast enough and I got tired of the fronts rubbing when parking. I dismounted the one pair off the Suburban and took to the sandblaster who I had to paint them white (7" Accurides). Those are ready and this weekend I'm ordering the set of new tires. So I'm switching the '72 tires (8" steelies) back on the front to have the 7" pair dismounted so I can drop them off when I pick up the first pair. Then I'll see about taking care of some worn front end parts. I was set on getting 255/85s but have allowed reality to prevail. I can get quality 285/75s (what's on it now, and the '72) and save $500 that will buy a lot of parts needed.

Meanwhile, the dash situation. I keep finding the trim parts I need, blue cluster surround, cupholder, glovebox, on Ebay, but really want to check my local junkyard first (to save money again). I have the heat and wiper modules as well as the multi-function switch. Just waiting till I get a 96-00 heater control panel and hopefully find a harness to clip at the junk yard. Might also get lucky on finding a control panel with good clips. I really need to get to the junkyard! I also have an upgrade steering wheel and stereo to put in while I'm at it. Oh, and a pair of bucket seats to swap in. I'm real anxious to get all this done. Will feel so nice to have a refreshed cockpit!

I whole lot of "I'm gonnas" to come through on. Can't wait to report each completion. I get all that done and it's new windshield, then true dual exhaust

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote