The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #526
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Thanks for the pics. I enjoy them all.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #527
fun in dirt

Cool stuff ... I've always wanted to go check out the Dakotas, but not in the winter; snow driving is not really my thing as we don't much practice here in MS. That burger a pg or so back looks yummy, especially right since it's lunch time now!
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #528
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Mike, thanks for taking the time to share these pictures! I may have to take a trip to the flinstones park. I've never been past Sioux falls SD and would like to check out the foot hills. It looks like you're definitely putting the miles on the new ride too!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 AM   #529
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm covering more area now, so new scenery to go along with it. Found this shop in NE Iowa. I talked to the owner a bit, turns out he's a nut for 67-72 chevy trucks too. He has a few and has restored dozens.

Baldwin Motion clone.

Very low mile SW car

I can dig it...

Just a truck on a post...

I probably didn't drink enough to stave off full damnation. I'll have to get some more. Regular doses may be required. Consult your doctor if you experience ethereal heavenliness.

So I'm walking through walmart and see this bike. I like it. Old style with a seat on the front.

Cool right?

For cripes sakes! Really? WTH good is this "shelf" on the front of a bike?

One of stops in Wisconsin...

If you can't read it, it's Briggs and Stratton.

I was there to look for one of those big bulk liquid gas tanks, like for CO2 or nitrogen. My paperwork says it's in the back, so I pull up to the gate, call security and tell the gal who I am and why I'm there, she opens the gate and I cruise through. I'm wandering around back there but can't find the tank. So I go out and go to the main entrance and talk to another security guy. He's all upset that someone let me in back. I wasn't authorized, etc. They protect the place like they are building weapons of mass destruction. Anyway, I just want to find this tank and do my little voodoo dance and ominee dominee it's all good, but nope. It's only like 3:00 but everyone that might know is already gone. Finally get ahold of someone and he says even if he knew where it was he wouldn't let me in to see it anyway. Have to go through proper channels and such. All the while I'm wondering about the fierce competition in the lawn equipment power products market. The thing about it is that they don't even own the tank. It's leased and not their responsibility and I have the backing of the state which says thou shalt allow access, etc etc. I spent about an hour and a half looking for a tank that is no longer in service and wasn't allowed to see a new installed tank that was in service.

Of course I billed for my time anyway.

Another trip up into North Dakota. For anyone that has driven through via I-94 you should be familiar with Salem Sue in New Salem, ND.

I think I drove about 600 miles that day. I stopped for the night in Lemmon, SD, which on the ND border and about 90 miles east of Montana. I'd never been there before. I came in after dark and for the last 90 miles or so of that drive I went through about 2 towns and saw exactly 17 moving vehicles, including 1 tractor. That can be some lonely country out there.

Anyway, Lemmon is apparently in an area abundant in petrified wood. I mean seriously abundant.

The freakin buildings are constructed of the stuff...

Back down the highway again I came upon some cars along the road. But not what you expect to see out here in the boonies. I think the place may have been a junkyard at one time and then all the cars were removed except for these volvos (and a tractor).

Chip called it volvoland, but I think volvoville has a better ring to it.

Patina...

Volvo parts...

And the tractor I mentioned above...

This sign peaked my curiosity just enough to get me to pull off the highway and take a gander at said water tower from a closer perspective.

I really wasn't impressed and questioned the veracity of their research before making such a proclamation. Or maybe it was just an old sign.

That's enough for tonight. Enjoy
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #530
Ol Blue K20

Thanks Mike, I haven't seen a water tower around here for years.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #531
70STOVEBOLT

Mike, what is that Damnation Retardant, I need some of that, LOL.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #532
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Thanks for the pics. I really dig the 70-73 Camaros and you've found 2 in the last 2 pages.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #533
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Thanks Mike, I haven't seen a water tower around here for years.
They are all over the midwest for sure. It's kind of noticable when I town doesn't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Mike, what is that Damnation Retardant, I need some of that, LOL.
Here you go...
http://finnegans.org/beer/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Thanks for the pics. I really dig the 70-73 Camaros and you've found 2 in the last 2 pages.
II stopped by that good fellas garage the other day again and that camaro was gone. Don't know if it was sold or just put away. It's not that far from you. I have new pics of what they did have there that I'll post eventually.

Yesterdays drive home was about 350 miles. 150 of that looked like this...

Old 03-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #534
Ol Blue K20

Brrrrrrr!

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #535
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Time to continue the journey through SD. It's the migration season for birds heading north and near some small town in north central SD was a lake that was basically a swarm of birds. I think they are snow geese. I had a short video too that maybe I can add in later. It was pretty wild.

Someone was making these things. I don't know why or what for. Pimped out lowrider amish buggies?

Giant trike

A Dr. Seuss contraption?

A friend of mine recently got himself one of these. He's looking for parts and I came across this. He talked to the seller for a while by phone. I guess he has most of the stuff to put it together but it's rough. I think he said it was $700

I live in an area popularized in the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and the Little House on the Prairie show, but her family didn't actually live here for very long. They moved around like gypsies for several years, eventually settling in the DeSmet, SD area. Pa Ingalls was pretty much the first resident when he worked for the railroad that had set up a station there. The town grew around it and this house was the first one there. The ingalls lived in it for about a year.

Incidentally, just a little FYI, many midwest towns were started by the railroads. There were farmers scattered all over the prairies and to move product the train companies built tracks. The locomotives were steam powered and needed a regular supply of fuel and water so depots were set up about every 15 miles along the tracks to do that. In many cases the town was already there and the train companies came in after, but not in all cases. There would be a train station, then a grain elevator, which brought the farmers in, then businesses popped up to service them. Birth of a small town.

I stopped back at the ford specialty shop in Tyler, MN to see if my Mach 1 was still there, but it wasn't.

The next trip brought me into WI, and I'll get some of those pics up soon. But I'll start with this one. I thought it odd that Rural, WI had a business district. Thats kind of oxymoronic...
Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #536
flashed

Great pics as usual ,thanks for taking us along for the ride .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #537
Ol Blue K20

Enjoyed it as usual, thanks

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #538
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post

The next trip brought me into WI, and I'll get some of those pics up soon. But I'll start with this one. I thought it odd that Rural, WI had a business district. Thats kind of oxymoronic...

Looking forward to the next round of scenic pics

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #539
NONHOG

Fun stuff, Volvo's!?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #540
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I'd like to get that fastback shell to rob the roof off of!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 04-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #541
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Fun stuff, Volvo's!?
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I'd like to get that fastback shell to rob the roof off of!
From a mustang? They have cut roofs waiting there, plus I might know where some more are.

Gonna try and load some more pics. I'm on the weak end of the motel wifi signal tho. About halfway home from the Wisconsin trip I ran into some bad weather. I created the meme...

Fun stuff...

Out in the middle of the state on some back roads I saw a nice RX-7 behind a shed.

Fun cars. I talked to the guy not long ago that has my old 79 RX-7. He said the secondaries on the carb weren't opening. They had to order a part for it. I had it up to 105 as it was. Should really scream now.

This was at a landscaping business behind a bar I was doing an inspection at near Madison.

This 442 was at what looked to be a closed dealership next door to a restaurant I was inspecting.

This AMC Eagle was at the sams club or costco I had an inspection at...

Really nice condition...

That's it from that Wisconsin trip. I'm still behind on my uploads.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:59 PM   #542
71swb4x4

Looking good Mike! I see you drove by, but don't see you waving.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #543
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Looking good Mike! I see you drove by, but don't see you waving.
I thought about looking you up but I really didn't have much time to stop and BS. Maybe next time.

Last weekend was going good. Getting stuff done, hanging out with my girl, got my bike back together and out for a ride, just a great weekend at home. Then I ruined it by having a little too much fun on the atv. I was drifting it around the driveway and it caught an edge and threw me off. Almost rolled over on me but I saw it coming and was able to scramble out of the way. But I landed on my shoulder and busted it up pretty bad. Broken collar bone and 3 ribs. So I'm on light duty for a while. The collar bone really doesn't hurt much, the ribs are the main source of discomfort. Believe it or not this is the first time I have ever had broken bones. At least on record. There may have been a couple that went untreated but nothing serious.

Would I do it again? Probably. But I'll probably be a little less aggressive next time. I hate being gimpy but I am who I am and I think I've had a good run so far. Girlfriends kid said it was epic.

In the short term I'm a desk jockey but should be back out there before too long. Maybe I'll get caught up on these pics.

So, back to the goodfellas garage and their new stuff.

I remember driving by this on hot rod power tour...

Mille Lacs Lake is one of the bigger lakes in MN. Can't really see all the way across it.

There is a park area with a big fish...

There is a sign posted with the fish story.

Just a mud truck...

Always wanted one of these. And by always I mean ever since I first saw one as a kid and could form a thought. But $12k is a bit steep for me.

These next trucks belong to daburb, a member here that has his own parts business. He's moving closer to me and these were outside his new shop. First is a plumbers truck from the MN state fairgrounds.

Some work related pics next. I was inspecting boilers at a smallish (45 MW) utility plant in Iowa and they had the rotor from one of their old turbine generators out for display.

One very unique thing about this plant is that they have a giant air cooler used to condense low pressure steam into condensate. Normally you would use cooling towers or have customers that could use the low pressure steam. There is a story about why this plant is different but it's not that good of a story. What really matters is that this is basically the biggest turbo intercooler (not technically, but essentially could be used as such) you'll likely ever see.

These are finned tubes. This is just one section. There were 4 or 5 like this strung together.

They are in an A frame and this is the under side where the fan is.

Bigass fan motor...

Bigass fan blades. Perspective is definitely off comparing to the truck below, but they are probably about 20' diameter fans running at 1700 rpm. Dont fall...

This 73 stang was for sale not far from home. Asking $9k for it. I thought it was a bit steep compared to others in better shape I've seen for less money but good luck to him...
Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #544
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Went to a junkyard a few weeks ago. It's one I stop at regularly because they usually have a lot of older stuff and 67-72 chevy trucks. My son is getting a 70 GMC shortbed from a friend of mine. The friend is keeping the bed, which is a fleetside and in great shape for another truck of his he wants to restore. And my son wants a 67-68 front end, so I'm looking for parts. He wants a stepside. They are somewhat rare up around here. And before anyone says they have something, I just found one yesterday so we are set.

But back to the junkyard. I took pics of this old chevy because it is similar to my 47 Olds and I want a record of what parts are on it in case I need something.

There were 2 vehicles here that I really think should not be. They were just too complete or in too good of condition to be in the U-pull-it area of a junkyard in MN. In the SW I'm sure its normal to see decent condition vehicles in the yards, but here it's truly a JUNKyard.

This corvair monza was in really great condition.

And check out this jeep. Almost complete, hardly anything missing and the condition was definitely restorable. Oh well...

Who doesn't love the Gremlin. I drove one briefly while I had the engine tore apart on my truck, which was my daily driver at the time. It was my girlfriends (later wifes, much later ex-wifes) mothers car.

I didn't find much of what I was looking for that day. There were a couple grills and hoods, but I didn't buy anything. I might go back for a hood. Their prices are good in the U-pull-it area.

But continuing on the parts search journey brought me to Horkys in Windom, MN. I've been there before and there are probably pics in this thread somewhere from it. Here's some fresh pics. Anything you see is probably for sale but the condition is not great on most of it. There are some good parts there though. Prices are typical of most junkyards, maybe a bit higher, but they have a lot of stuff and are good to work with.

The GMC El Camino (sprint)

Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #545
Ta2Don

Always enjoy seeing these pics
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #546
Ol Blue K20

Thanks for the pics. We don't have many yards like that here in tree hugging territory.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #547
flashed

I see all kinds of neat stuff in there ,we dont have any yards like that left either .Thanks for the pics ,I always enjoy the ride along .
Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #548
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Thanks for posting the pics and sorry to hear of your wreck. Hopefully all heals well dude!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #549
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It's getting warmer and the distractions never end. I'm healing up ok but still in a sling for a while. I got promoted at work to western regional manager which takes effect next monday. Still an inspector part time, manager the rest of the time. My two youngest finished school and are home for the summer. My son got his first project truck, a 69 GMC short bed, on Sunday. Just got it running tonight. He's stoked. Plus lots more going on, but enough personal updates and excuses, time to post some pics!

This next bunch are from my favorite VW bug nut I've posted stuff from before. Always has something new.

Pretty sure I posted this from the last visit...

He swapped the old kit cars for a couple mustang projects.

He even had a square body!

Still has the camaro...

I stopped by a place along the highway when I saw the old bus and a bunch of other rusty trucks around the backyard. The old guy was home and we talked a bit. I was looking for a couple old low back bus seats for a friends jeep. He didn't have those but the bus was packed full of old car parts. Super nice guy. He sent me to his sons auto shop in town for some info on the transmissions we found. They were old 3 speed with OD trannies but were too old to work on the boys project. But another contact was made and you just never know when that will come in handy.

In a nearby town I spotted this sweet little Luv. Hell yeah I'd drive that! If I didn't already have 9 old GM trucks in my yard I might consider inquiring about it.

Random oddity seen on the highway...

The same day I came across the old bus guy, I drove by another place that looked too small to be a junkyard but too big to be just the typical hoarders yard mess, so I stopped in. The owner was a construction worker who has an auto repair business during the winter. A family business that has been there for a while based on the amount of stuff accumulated. Need a crankshaft? He probably has one...

Need a cylinder head? There were several racks of them...

How about some barn find classic GM cars? Yep, got them too...

He had this Chevette out in the yard. It's a runner and a solid car. Would make a great sleeper...

Odds and ends by the shop...

He had a machine shed packed full of complete engines. I talked to him about some big block parts and transmissions he had. I'll probably be in touch with him in the future.

That takes care of the current downloads, now I have another bunch to get loaded on photobucket. The scenery never ends and I hope I never find that end.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #550
flashed

I saw a lot of nice stuff in those pics ,thanks again for taking us along .