The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #601
dougo

Re: How about some pics of 67-72 Burbans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Awesome burb ya got there!
Welcome to the board, good to see another 4x4 burb around here
Thanks vectorit! You've got a nice burb too! I saw your album... looks like you've got a burb with some family history there? Very cool... love the pic (maybe late 70's early 80's) of burb with trailer on the East Side of Sierra Nev... looks like just outside of Lone Pine with Mt. Whitney in the back ground! Nice burb!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #602
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougo View Post
Thanks vectorit! You've got a nice burb too! I saw your album... looks like you've got a burb with some family history there? Very cool... love the pic (maybe late 70's early 80's) of burb with trailer on the East Side of Sierra Nev... looks like just outside of Lone Pine with Mt. Whitney in the back ground! Nice burb!
Thanks for the compliments!
You are absolutely correct on your estimate of where that picture with the burb and trailer was taken.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #603
OneBad68

Hey all. New to this forum. So glad I found it. 7 months ago I bought a 1968 Chevy K-20 Suburban. She is a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive with a straight six 292 with a 1 bbl carb on her. I plan on keeping her as mechanically stock as I can. She is rough right now but have an awesome wrench and bodyman to help me finish her up. She was barned for 28 years, was originally from Cali. She will be my daily driver/ work rig.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #604
dougo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad68 View Post
Hey all. New to this forum. So glad I found it. 7 months ago I bought a 1968 Chevy K-20 Suburban. She is a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive with a straight six 292 with a 1 bbl carb on her. I plan on keeping her as mechanically stock as I can. She is rough right now but have an awesome wrench and bodyman to help me finish her up. She was barned for 28 years, was originally from Cali. She will be my daily driver/ work rig.
Welcome to the board.... it's a great resource. And... good to see another 3/4 ton 4x4 join the board! Looks like you've got a solid rig... keep us posted to your progress as you finish her up!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #605
OneBad68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougo View Post
Welcome to the board.... it's a great resource. And... good to see another 3/4 ton 4x4 join the board! Looks like you've got a solid rig... keep us posted to your progress as you finish her up!

I will have to take some newer pics in the next couple of days. This past weekend I got rid of those pieces of crap 15 inch rims with the mudders and replaced them with a 16 inch rim with all terrains on them. I have also added side view mirrors. She looks a heck of a lot nicer now than she did. can't wait to get her in the shop so I can sand her down. Someone took housepaint and a brush to her in her past. She looks like crap. But at least it protected her from total rot out in the intervening years.

Any suggestions as to resource to find parts for her?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #606
dougo

Quote:
I will have to take some newer pics in the next couple of days. This past weekend I got rid of those pieces of crap 15 inch rims with the mudders and replaced them with a 16 inch rim with all terrains on them. I have also added side view mirrors. She looks a heck of a lot nicer now than she did. can't wait to get her in the shop so I can sand her down. Someone took housepaint and a brush to her in her past. She looks like crap. But at least it protected her from total rot out in the intervening years.

Any suggestions as to resource to find parts for her?
Looking forward to the pics... I bet it looks good with the rims and all terrains. I've had a lot of luck on this fourm finding parts. Ebay too. Not so much on craigs list. You just have to scour the parts board often...otherwise you can miss some good stuff (parts can go fast). There's certain forum rules too - when it comes to buying/selling stuff (check out the rules, it was helpful for me to understand protocol on the board). I've heard some people having success posting WTB ads on the parts board (I have yet to do that) and getting some response.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #607
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

what parts do you need?

in my signature is a link to site vendors...
they probably have it, or can get it.... if its rare, look in the parts section here.

congrats on a nice burb!

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club
Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #608
OneBad68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72swb_327stroker_? View Post
what parts do you need?

in my signature is a link to site vendors...
they probably have it, or can get it.... if its rare, look in the parts section here.

congrats on a nice burb!
Thanks for the links. So far my bible has been the LMC Truck catalog. But it is nice knowing there are other choices out there.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #609
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Very cool to see your burb on it's way to getting fixed up! Yours looks just like mine did when I first started fixing up my ol' girl.

If your drive train is original, and you plan on keeping it that way (Which I am a big fan of BTW), those brakes can be a real adventure in overhauling. So make sure you don't throw anything away, and that rule goes with everything else as well. LMC and catalogs of the sort look at first glance to have everything you will need to get your burb like new again, but you will learn pretty quick that your burb is special and parts will be hard to come by. Don't get discouraged with snobby resto shops that deal primarily with PU's and Blazers, it's gonna be a tough row to hoe but keep the faith and you will prevail!

These early Burb's are in a class of their own, and are just barely becoming an interest of the resto shop's. So plan to refurb as much as you can that is burb specific, which is pretty much everything from the front doors to the back.

From the front doors forward is all PU interchangeable, but if you have original stuff try your best to restore it. (Just compare your original bumper to a repro, or any of the sheet metal for metal thickness).

From another 68 K20 burb owner, I am really interested in seeing more pictures of your baby! So don't be shy ok! We all love pictures here

Last edited by vectorit; 03-20-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #610
OneBad68

Quote:
Very cool to see your burb on it's way to getting fixed up! Yours looks just like mine did when I first started fixing up my ol' girl.

If your drive train is original, and you plan on keeping it that way (Which I am a big fan of BTW), those brakes can be a real adventure in overhauling. So make sure you don't throw anything away, and that rule goes with everything else as well. LMC and catalogs of the sort look at first glance to have everything you will need to get your burb like new again, but you will learn pretty quick that your burb is special and parts will be hard to come by. Don't get discouraged with snobby resto shops that deal primarily with PU's and Blazers, it's gonna be a tough row to hoe but keep the faith and you will prevail!

These early Burb's are in a class of their own, and are just barely becoming an interest of the resto shop's. So plan to refurb as much as you can that is burb specific, which is pretty much everything from the front doors to the back.

From the front doors forward is all PU interchangeable, but if you have original stuff try your best to restore it. (Just compare your original bumper to a repro, or any of the sheet metal for metal thickness).

From another 68 K20 burb owner, I am really interested in seeing more pictures of your baby! So don't be shy ok! We all love pictures here
So far everything looks to still be original on her. The brakes look to be about a 12 2 but we haven't gotten to that part yet. At one point the previous owner added a second gas tank and a second transfer case and third floor shifter. My wrench and my bodyman are purists. When I am ready to retire her from daily driver my wrench wants to soup her up by tweaking the straight six and changing her exhaust. I am going to post new pics of her tomorrow with her new mirrors and wheels. She looks a heck of a lot better without those stupid 15 inch rims and mudders on her. Any idea how many of these beauties were made??
Old 03-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #611
vectorit
What?

Quote:
So far everything looks to still be original on her. The brakes look to be about a 12 2 but we haven't gotten to that part yet. At one point the previous owner added a second gas tank and a second transfer case and third floor shifter. My wrench and my bodyman are purists. When I am ready to retire her from daily driver my wrench wants to soup her up by tweaking the straight six and changing her exhaust. I am going to post new pics of her tomorrow with her new mirrors and wheels. She looks a heck of a lot better without those stupid 15 inch rims and mudders on her. Any idea how many of these beauties were made??
Your drums are most likely 12" like mine. Those drums are very hard to find, and a couple internal parts are hard to find as well. If you fry those 12" drums, it's almost cheaper to replace the whole damn axle for later model brakes... Which is a slippery money slope, since if you replace one axle you might as well replace the other so that they match. Since everyone hates the old closed knuckle D44 front axle, and the Eaton H052 doesn't get that much love either.

The 68 K20 burb with clam shell doors like yours had lower production numbers. Not that - that means anything really, just means you will be challenged more in finding specific parts. Usually small parts no one gives a flip about...

Second T-case? Maybe a PTO for something? Now you gotta take pictures of that! Mine has a place for PTO equipment, but I have never seen one actually used on a burb. So please share some pictures of the "second T-case" thing.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #612
OneBad68

Talking Re: How about some pics of 67-72 Burbans!

Quote:
Your drums are most likely 12" like mine. Those drums are very hard to find, and a couple internal parts are hard to find as well. If you fry those 12" drums, it's almost cheaper to replace the whole damn axle for later model brakes... Which is a slippery money slope, since if you replace one axle you might as well replace the other so that they match. Since everyone hates the old closed knuckle D44 front axle, and the Eaton H052 doesn't get that much love either.

The 68 K20 burb with clam shell doors like yours had lower production numbers. Not that - that means anything really, just means you will be challenged more in finding specific parts. Usually small parts no one gives a flip about...

Second T-case? Maybe a PTO for something? Now you gotta take pictures of that! Mine has a place for PTO equipment, but I have never seen one actually used on a burb. So please share some pictures of the "second T-case" thing.
The second t-case thingy has been removed. I can take a pic of where it used to be and of the third gear shift. I still have the second drive shaft though. Never thought of PTO. I have the names of the previous owners. I even have the salesperson's business card and the original owners manual and protection plan paperwork. It is a little water damaged but it came with it.
As far as I know the axle are original all though on quick look they look to be more a one ton axle. It might have been an upgrade either from the factory or aftermarket. Not sure. Pulling her into a garage this weekend to tear her down and make sure everything is mechanically sound on her since she has been sitting for 28 years in a barn.
I think I am going to try and find the original owners and see if I can get more info on her. I think I am third owner of her. Or at least third owner that plans on doing something with her. hehehe
Old 03-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #613
olblue60@aol.com

Nice truck! I cant wait to see more pictures. Be real careful as vectorit said, as far as those rubber brakelines, I'm not sure that they are repoed for 3/4 tons and may need to be refurbished by someone. The truck looks to be really solid. My book shows production of your suburban at 299 units in 1968. Its a pretty rare bird!! Welcome to the board from Maryland!!
1941 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery
1972 Camaro SS 396 #s matching
1971 Harley FX Superglide
Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #614
jayman68
Fun Stuff

I had a suburban once.
Attached Images

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
Old 03-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #615
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman68 View Post
I had a suburban once.
Now you are driving things that could only wish to be as good...
Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #616
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman68 View Post
I had a suburban once.
I know there probably was alot of rust, but to me that is a shame, nothing is unrepairable...
71 burb 2wd: 350 4spd
71 lwb fleetside 4x4: 350/sm465/205/3.07 eaton posi rear
72 lwb fleetside Cheyenne 454/th400
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4
Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 AM   #617
jayman68
Fun Stuff

It was mostly disassembled when I got it. Pretty much everything was severly rusted. I am using parts for my "Avalanche" project. Sorry, I just could not resist. Lots of great looking burbs.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #618
justcuz

Quote:

The HO 52/72 rear drums are hard to find, however the rear brakes can be converted to discs using a 14 bolt conversion bracket. The backing plate bolt pattern is the same. once you do the rear disc conversion, parts are easy to find.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #619
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
The HO 52/72 rear drums are hard to find, however the rear brakes can be converted to discs using a 14 bolt conversion bracket. The backing plate bolt pattern is the same. once you do the rear disc conversion, parts are easy to find.
You are right, I forgot about that.

Though having disc's in the rear, and drums in the front would be kind of weird don't ya think?

That's why I mentioned that this is a slippery money slope, especially for 4x4 rigs with a closed knuck front axle that can not be converted to disc as easy as the rear axle. Usually the whole axle has to be replaced for a newer model with open knucks, for the more modern disc brakes and calipers.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #620
justcuz

Norm has rear discs and front drums on his 64 crewcab. It seems to work OK. Good brakes are cheap insurance!

Last edited by justcuz; 03-21-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #621
OneBad68

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue60@aol.com View Post
Nice truck! I cant wait to see more pictures. Be real careful as vectorit said, as far as those rubber brakelines, I'm not sure that they are repoed for 3/4 tons and may need to be refurbished by someone. The truck looks to be really solid. My book shows production of your suburban at 299 units in 1968. Its a pretty rare bird!! Welcome to the board from Maryland!!
Thanks for the welcome and the advice on the brakes. Where is the best place for me to post updates and pics of my project? Here or on another thread??
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #622
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome and the advice on the brakes. Where is the best place for me to post updates and pics of my project? Here or on another thread??
Go ahead and start your own build thread. I'd subscribe to it!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #623
OneBad68

Quote:
Go ahead and start your own build thread. I'd subscribe to it!
How do I go about starting my own build thread?? I have updated pics of her with her new wheels and mirrors attached, plus a story about her first long trip.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #624
vectorit
What?

Quote:
How do I go about starting my own build thread?? I have updated pics of her with her new wheels and mirrors attached, plus a story about her first long trip.
Check this link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=209102
Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #625
OneBad68

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue60@aol.com View Post

Just a quick update on my Beast. It is on hold because my wrench (the love of my life) died last night. This was his baby as much as mine and until I can pull the wrenches on it myself it is on hold.
Closed Thread