The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #601
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Thanks for the comments guys. Driving the truck a few times showed it was easy to transition to the new mirror location. The loss of the passenger side view hasn’t been an issue as it was only used for backing into parking spaces anyway. It’s not much different than 20 years of experience with peep mirrors where the passenger side was also pretty much useless.

The new Revell 57 Ford tudor sedan kit has one mirror per kit that looks very similar. I already have 3 of the 57 kits, so a pair of those mirrors will soon find their way onto the 1/25th replica of my truck, even if I have to use a new cab to make the paint come out nice.

Grizz, thanks for the link to the photo dump. What a fantastic assortment of interesting vehicles. I think what I enjoy most is the individual creativity shown in both the selection (availability) of vehicles, but also the way they are finished. Often here in the states once a new fad or trend pops up, too many people copy the same idea and the flood of similar efforts get somewhat boring to look at.

I really am running out of simple improvement projects. The only remaining piece I have on hand is the chrome bead for the rear window. It will go in as soon as the weather warms up a bit. After that I think I will focus on saving up enough money for a new engine.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #602
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

This afternoon I thought it was time to look back on the external changes the truck has seen since the Blitz Black repaint in 2009, to get a better handle on the big picture.

This photo was taken right after reassembly. To me the shot almost looks like a new military aircraft before any of the markings go on. If I ever had to go back to this configuration I could be quite happy with it. It looked simple, basic, and purposeful:

And here’s a similar shot of how it looks today. I like the chrome/stainless additions as I think it makes the truck look more dignified and refined:

Most of the cosmetic changes are pretty obvious, including the new grille, 327 fender emblems, windshield trim, spotlights, mirrors, bed cover and rails. The 15x5 front wheels were replaced with 15x7’s that match the rear, and all were repainted black.

I will likely invest in chrome vent windows and side glass frames in the future. And having the front end chromed might look nice, but I’d rather have a new engine for that amount of money.

It seems like something is still missing, but I’m becoming increasingly cautious about making any more changes to the outside. I remember back in the 1960’s how many nice show cars were ruined by their owners. Many never learned when to quit and continued making habitual “improvements” until all original beauty was lost. I don’t want to commit the same mistake.

Is there something obvious I’m missing, or should I quit now and leave well enough alone?

Seriously - all opinions are welcome. Thanks for looking.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #603
Ta2Don

My $.02 = I like it that way you have it now, other than the chrome for the back window, I like the new engine instead of the chrome front... What direction are you considering for the new power-plant?
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD

Last edited by Ta2Don; 04-05-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: missed character
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #604
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’m curious Don, it wasn’t clear if you like or dislike the chrome rear window bead. If you don’t like the chrome bead is it because of concerns over durability, or just think they look cheesy? I value and appreciate your input.

I like the looks of the chrome bead when new, but have seen enough that look lousy after a few years to wonder if it will hold up. I’m figuring on my truck it should last quite a while as the truck rarely sits outside baking in the sun. And in case it doesn’t I’ll be hanging on to the black beadlock to replace the chrome version should it fail.

I’m considering two different options on the replacement engine. My first Targetmaster 350 replacement engine carried my 46 Ford sedan for 300,000 miles and was still running strong when the car was sold. The identical P/N 10067353 350/260hp engine currently in the truck was purchased back in 1991 for $1260, and has powered the truck somewhere around 150,000 miles.

I don’t want to deal with rebuilding it as it suffered severe overheating back in 1995 and blew the passenger side head gasket. It runs and performs adequately, but fouls # 6 & 8 plugs about once a year ever since.

So option 1 is simply buy another identical engine for about $1500, swap in my Pete Jackson gear drive and plop it in the truck. I might also consider installing a Thumpr cam for fun, and swap over to Hydrovac brakes so I can continue to stop in spite of the resulting low vacuum.

Option 2 is to buy either a more expensive crate motor, or have one built up for something in the neighborhood of $3500. The main advantage here would be to obtain an engine that has been properly balanced. Poor balancing is the main disappointment I have with the base 350 crate motors. Each of the GM crate engines I’ve owned had a significant imbalance in the 2,000-2,500 rpm range, and it would nice to experience smooth performance without that irritation. If I go this way I’ll seriously consider going to the 1 piece crank seal which will require a new flywheel and possibly a different intake manifold.

It would be nice to have the roller cam, eliminating the oil problems associated with flat tappets. The trade off being what could be a significant cost increase, depending on how many accessories from my current engine can still be used.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #605
Rich 5150 69

Mark, my 350 vortec had the same issue in about 2500 RPM, not sure what the issue is...I`ve got right in around 200k on it thou, can`t complain....
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #606
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Good to know Rich, thanks. I had a buddy years ago that worked at GM and he mentioned they assembled “balanced” production engines by grabbing a set of connecting rods from bins of rods that had been sorted by weight. So although the static weights were similar, the dynamics of the individual rods and crankshafts never received the finely tuned adjustment of actual dynamic engine balancing.

I suppose this is the best that can be expected from a low budget crate engine.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #607
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Arrow Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Here are some links on crate motors if you choose to go that route Mark.
=============================================
+ Summit Racing :

Edelbrock:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...make/chevrolet

All Brands:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...engine-type/v8
+ JEGS High Performance :

All Brands:

http://www.jegs.com/c/Engines-Compon...10763/10002/-1
+ Speedway Motors, Inc.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Classi...html?page=GRID
Hot Rodding Made Simple: Affordable Turn-Key Crate Engines
http://www.rodauthority.com/tech-sto...crate-engines/

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.

Last edited by 1Bad62Pro/Street; 04-05-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs5/2776845_o.gif
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #608
Bomp

My .02
You have one nice truck. Like the changes you made. Top notch and attention to detail.
On the motor. Me personally I'd go for it. That usually gets me into trouble but getting pushed back in the seat is worth it. Well, until I have red/blue in the rearview.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #609
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I’m considering two different options on the replacement engine. So option 1 is simply buy another identical engine for about $1500, swap in my Pete Jackson gear drive and plop it in the truck.

Option 2 is to buy either a more expensive crate motor, or have one built up for something in the neighborhood of $3500. The main advantage here would be to obtain an engine that has been properly balanced.

It would be nice to have the roller cam, eliminating the oil problems associated with flat tappets. The trade off being what could be a significant cost increase, depending on how many accessories from my current engine can still be used.
I have a couple questions Mark.
Why on earth would you want a gear drive?
Second question comment, I know of no "oiling" issues with hydraulic flat tappet cams but they are notorious for wiping out lobes. Where did you hear of oiling problems in hydraulic lifters...??
comment- The March 2013 copy of Super Chevy has a great article on roller cams and their superior advantages over hydraulic flat tappet cams.
You should check it out.
Last comment, I just finished helping a friend build his 350 Chevy small block. I believe it was a Vortec engine (99 maybe) and I am pretty sure it came with a roller cam originally.
The block was definitely "beefier" than a standard mouse motor and the lifter bores were deeper.
I am no expert on SBC as I am a tried and true Pontiac fanatic however, My buddy Brad spent just short of $2300 on a completely balanced SBC long block including head work and a roller cam. (his motor dyno'ed at 393 HP BTW)
Why would you need to spend $3500 on the worlds cheapest motor to build especially if you have a running SBC to start with for all the externals....??
Not throwing stones friend... just want to educate myself..

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #610
Ta2Don

Just re-read my earlier reply, I didn't word that correctly. I like the idea of the chrome bead around rear window, especially since you have the windshield one... so those are my thoughts on the rear window trim...

Last edited by Ta2Don; 04-05-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #611
CRGRS 66

I love your truck Mark, everything about it, best part is how much you drive it, how you make constant improvements, and keep it so meticulously maintained. I definitely think that it is time for you to put a real bad A$$ engine in there, but i could spend your money all day long

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #612
66-PMD-GMC

Hey Mark... got a PM from a concerned member..
I am not knocking what you are doing or planning...
If I came off rude.. my appologies... truly..
I'm outspoken.. gets me in trouble...

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #613
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Wow thanks everyone for the great feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street View Post
[B][FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Here are some links on crate motors if you choose to go that route Mark.
Thx for the nice condensed list. There are a bunch of options available there that are well within my budget. I’ll have to do a lot of study before making a decision, and that won’t happen until the end of the year as I’m undertaking some major house projects first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
My .02

On the motor. Me personally I'd go for it. That usually gets me into trouble but getting pushed back in the seat is worth it. Well, until I have red/blue in the rearview.
I’m leaning heavily in that direction. One of my lifelong weaknesses has been acting very responsibly, which got in the way of a lot of enjoyment. I’ve owned some pretty cool cars, but none of them ever had an engine I was thrilled about. And since I’m far from getting any younger, I just don’t see myself investing in something too boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
I have a couple questions Mark.
Why on earth would you want a gear drive?
Second question comment, I know of no "oiling" issues with hydraulic flat tappet cams but they are notorious for wiping out lobes. Where did you hear of oiling problems in hydraulic lifters...??
comment- The March 2013 copy of Super Chevy has a great article on roller cams and their superior advantages over hydraulic flat tappet cams.
You should check it out.
Last comment, I just finished helping a friend build his 350 Chevy small block. I believe it was a Vortec engine (99 maybe) and I am pretty sure it came with a roller cam originally.
The block was definitely "beefier" than a standard mouse motor and the lifter bores were deeper.
I am no expert on SBC as I am a tried and true Pontiac fanatic however, My buddy Brad spent just short of $2300 on a completely balanced SBC long block including head work and a roller cam. (his motor dyno'ed at 393 HP BTW)
Why would you need to spend $3500 on the worlds cheapest motor to build especially if you have a running SBC to start with for all the externals....??
Not throwing stones friend... just want to educate myself..
Easy answer on the gear drive – my wife and I both love the sound they make, especially combined with the manual 4 speed. And with the 4.10 gears the engine will easily spin to the red line providing a real symphony of mechanical music. The only thing that could improve the racket would be steel tube headers and solid lifters, but I’m just too beat up to deal with the tappet adjustments any longer.

Not sure what confusion I offered, but I’m not aware of any SBC oiling issues either, other than wiping out flat tappet cams due to the crappy oil now on the market. Not sure if it’s worth dealing with the expense of additives to keep a flat tappet cam alive, or whether I should just bite the bullet and switch to the 86 up block with the roller cam and 1 piece rear main seal. Upgrading to the later block will require a new flywheel, and I’m not sure if some of my engine brackets will still fit.

I’ll definitely be reading the article you provided. I’ve been collecting all the information I can for several months now.

I’m not looking to spend $3500 for a $2300 engine, just intending to set a budget that can realistically provide what I’d like to end up with. It’s likely I’ll buy with either a crate motor from Chevy, or something from Jegs, Summit, etc. A big part of that is because I don’t know of any dependable builders in my local area that I would trust.

A few years back my wife’s original unmolested 68 F250 needed the engine rebuilt. After several recommendations and what I thought was thorough background research I contracted with a local shop to rebuild her engine. They did nothing promised. Instead of retaining my numbers matching engine, they replaced it with a generic rebuild and left the truck outside to be vandalized.

I had a buddy recommend his racing engine builder. They put together a beautiful 440 for his Road Runner, but the tab was almost $8,000 so I’m not sure they’d focus much attention on an engine in my budget range.

And the only custom engine I ever had built set me back over $3,000 back in the 1980’s and ended up being known as the demon engine. It provided a continuous string of problems until the crank went away and wiped out the block. So I’ll admit to being gun shy about having anything custom built locally ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Just re-read my earlier reply, I didn't word that correctly. I like the idea of the chrome bead around rear window, especially since you have the windshield one... so those are my thoughts on the rear window trim...
Thanks again Don. I just wanted to clarify because if you saw something I didn’t, that would have to be considered before I pulled the old seal out. I value your opinion and if the idea of the chrome bead had turned out to be stupid I would likely just leave the back window the way it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
I definitely think that it is time for you to put a real bad A$$ engine in there, but i could spend your money all day long
I’m of the same mindset! I love spending other people’s money when I don’t have to deal with the consequences!

Quote:
Hey Mark... got a PM from a concerned member..
I am not knocking what you are doing or planning...
If I came off rude.. my appologies... truly..
I'm outspoken.. gets me in trouble...
Thanks for the concern, but truly no offense taken. I ask for opinions and welcome all responses even if they are critical. It’s hard to brainstorm in a closet by myself, so thought provoking questions help me make better decisions.

Again thanks to everyone for reading and/or responding!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #614
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Easy answer on the gear drive – my wife and I both love the sound they make, especially combined with the manual 4 speed.

Not sure if it’s worth dealing with the expense of additives to keep a flat tappet cam alive, or whether I should just bite the bullet and switch to the 86 up block with the roller cam and 1 piece rear main seal. Upgrading to the later block will require a new flywheel, and I’m not sure if some of my engine brackets will still fit.

I’ll admit to being gun shy about having anything custom built locally ever again.
Mark, I appreciate your open minded approch to life.
If you like a gear drive.. go for it! I would suggest checking into some of the inherent problems that come with a gear drive.

You will love the 1 piece rear mains..
The roller cam is the way to go on any angry motored hot rod...

Have you ever checked into shipping from Arizona?
Having a motor built to your needs is the best choice you could make IMHO.

Not sure if you thought of it but there are a couple very good shops here.
I have to spend $80 a piston to build my Pontiac motors for example and at the prices I have to pay for parts, I don't trust anyone as far as I could throw them.....
If they screwed up balancing my motor I would be out thousands of $$$$.
I put my own motors together checking every dimension as I go...

Mark, I just don't trust crate motors. They are generically built.
If you would like some referalls for shops here, PM me and I can set you up with one of 2 very reputable shops that guarantee their work.
Just an idea...

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #615
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Not a lot to see but the truck got put to work today hauling the skeleton of a dead storage tent over to the county recyclers, this in preparation for a permanent custom built shed going up next week. All of my rusty old Buick wheels made the trip as well. Of course right after I unloaded, I remembered a new pay recycling outfit just opened up down the street where I might have brought home 20 bucks on the adventure! So much for forethought!

Now you see it:

Now you don’t:

All loaded up and ready to head out. It was bright and sunny when I started, cold and windy by the time I got done. There was enough of a load to bring the rear end down and inch or two.

Same stuff from a different angle.

I wanted to have some before sequence photos for when the new structure goes up. What this really means however, is that within the next week or two all the garden tools will have a new home and the only thing in the garage will be truck stuff! Making the wife happy certainly has advantages.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #616
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:

Not sure if you thought of it but there are a couple very good shops here.
I have to spend $80 a piston to build my Pontiac motors for example and at the prices I have to pay for parts, I don't trust anyone as far as I could throw them.....

If they screwed up balancing my motor I would be out thousands of $$$$.
I put my own motors together checking every dimension as I go...

Mark, I just don't trust crate motors. They are generically built.
If you would like some referalls for shops here, PM me and I can set you up with one of 2 very reputable shops that guarantee their work.
Just an idea...
Thanks for the input as always. Your comments got me to checking into a few local shops. So far I've found one small shop with 5 employees that builds custom engines (for like 25 years) and seems to have nothing but good feedback. In fact so far I haven't been able to find any negative information about them at all, and they are accredited with the BBB.

I also found another one that has multiple scathing reviews about their horrible customer support, poor engine reliability history, and dishonored warranty claims. So it certainly does pay to check first.

If I can be convinced the first shop is as good as they seem, I'll seriously consider having an engine done to my specs. They actually offer custom crate motors that are competitively priced with GM offerings, with better parts and balancing. It could actually end up being cheaper than a standard GM Performance item.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #617
Ta2Don

Awesome to see your truck in action, so to speak!!! Looking good...
Old 04-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #618
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Thanks for the input as always. Your comments got me to checking into a few local shops. So far I've found one small shop with 5 employees that builds custom engines (for like 25 years) and seems to have nothing but good feedback. In fact so far I haven't been able to find any negative information about them at all, and they are accredited with the BBB.

I also found another one that has multiple scathing reviews about their horrible customer support, poor engine reliability history, and dishonored warranty claims. So it certainly does pay to check first.

If I can be convinced the first shop is as good as they seem, I'll seriously consider having an engine done to my specs. They actually offer custom crate motors that are competitively priced with GM offerings, with better parts and balancing. It could actually end up being cheaper than a standard GM Performance item.
Nothing wrong with covering your bases... and ... you will never regret having a motor built specifically for your application.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #619
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

After hours and hours of research, the new engine project got moved up the list. This morning I ordered up the cam and kit, Comp Cams HE268H (K12-210-2). I think it will perform well and sound great, and is a lot more practical than the Thumpr series. Should I ever have to go back to an automatic (for medical reasons), it would work fine with a stock converter up against my 4.10 rear end gears. The only item I won’t be using is the timing set, as I’m going to retain my Pete Jackson noisy gear drive.

Next I checked online and found Harbor Freight had their engine hoists and stands on sale, so I scooted over and picked up one of each. A helpful employee hefted the 300 pound load and a few minutes later they were home in the garage:

A few hours of assembly work and both are ready for service. They both seem reasonably sturdy although the bolts look like grade 2 to me and will be replaced. I’m thankful the hoist includes a handle. That one feature makes using these things so much easier. The instructions were lousy, but nothing was missing and everything fit together easily.

No matter where I pick up the new engine I need a way to get it off the truck, whether mine or a delivery van. With these tools available I can finalize more decisions and get moving.

Both units fold up to a reasonably small footprint which is a nice benefit. More to follow.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #620
CRGRS 66

Exciting!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #621
Ta2Don

Let the Fun continue!!! Keep Rockin'
Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #622
Bomp

Congrats on the new tools
When I got my cherry picker I was amazed at how many friends needed to use it. Think the cherry picker has over 10,000 miles being hauled around

my .02
You have one of the cleanest and well organized garages I've ever seen.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #623
pdxhall

Hey Mark, it's great that you're getting your new engine. I'm getting real close to the place in my build that I need to start thinking about an engine so I'll be following close to see what you come up with. You seem to be wanting the same type of performance I'm looking for so I'm interested in what you come up with. By the way, the latest upgrades to you truck are very cool.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #624
Jmorales3181

Nice addition to the garage!can't wait to hear a new video once your new motor goes in! Those videos you last posted still make me want to consider going manual trans.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #625
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments guys. I’m expecting to have the same problem with the cherry picker. I’ve got a coil spring compressor that finally came home after having been in several states and spending a year in a storage shed in Modesto belonging to someone I’d never met that was a friend of one of my sons.

I can hardly wait for the new engine & video myself. It should sound and accelerate much better than the current setup. I’ve been waiting for decent weather to do an inside and outside walk around clip, but those are now on hold.

After watching several YouTube cool car videos with beautiful young ladies adding to the visual interest, I suggested my daughter’s participation would make those videos far more interesting. She’s adventurous and thought it would be a lot of fun. Unfortunately she lives a couple of states away and only visits 4-5 times a year, so I’ll have to put some effort into choreographing a video worthy of her talents before her next visit. I’m pretty sure those uploads will be appreciated way more than my other stuff.

Regarding transmissions, I drove the truck for 13 years with a Turbo 350 but never got rid of the clutch pedal because I always wanted to go back to a stick shift. I finally took the plunge 8 years ago and have always been glad I made the change. I had back and knee problems even then, but figured if I got 5 years out of the swap it would have been worth it. My knees are much worse now, but I don’t see ever going back to an automatic unless it just becomes impossible to drive a manual. When I was a teenager if you couldn’t drive a stick, you didn’t know how to drive. And I’ve never outgrown the youthful thrill of hearing those gears wind up. My only disappointment is that I don’t have an M22 with that screaming low gear!