The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #651
El Dorado Jim

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Could be. Used to see more train cars used for storage in peoples yards. Now people get shipping containers or semi truck trailers.

I'll have a build thread for it but don't hold your breath. It's going to be awhile before I get started.

There is, see below.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
thanks!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #652
flashed

I love this thread ,always see something I want but dont need .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #653
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I love this thread ,always see something I want but dont need .
and its too far away for me to even think about getting.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #654
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This next set of pics is mainly just scenery. I had to go visit a couple of my inspectors. One is in CO and the other in southern CA. I would have loved to be on my own and stop all over taking pics of the cool stuff I saw along the way, but that wasn't really an option. There was plenty to see but I spent most of the 70 hour work week as a passenger. There are a few pics of cars/trucks but it's limited.

The only part of CO I had ever seen before was the airport terminal. If you haven't been there, it's pretty much like any other terminal and if you were expecting to see the scenic vistas you were disappointed. Denver is actually located on the high plains. Look east and it's basically Nebraska for as far as the eye can see. Look west and the mountains are there, but Denver isn't "in" the mountains.

This trip I was picked up at the airport by the inspector and after the 5 hours of travel I already had at that point we proceeded on through central CO for the next 7-8 hours. The scenery was awesome though and I truly did miss the mountains. I love it out west. So enjoy the scenery everyone. I sure did.

Heading west into the foothills...

Ooooooh a tunnel...

Amtrak along I-70

Change in the terrain. I think this was after we turned south from Grand Junction. More red rock.

Looks like someone parked their submarine up there...

We stopped at a scenic overlook. It didn't disappoint...

You can see some of flume remains in these pics...

I think this was going into the Gateway area...

Parked at the hotel I stayed at...
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #655
flashed

Wow ,nice scenery . Love the firetruck too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #656
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That would have been a great drive. Lots of beautiful landscape to see, especially the firetruck.

Bill's Gallery
Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #657
rambler
MOVE OVER

thanks for sharing these pics.. awesome
Old 03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #658
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks guys!

The next morning we headed over to the power plant to inspect a couple of boilers.

One of the boilers was a smaller package unit made by Cleaver Brooks. I've posted pics before of what those look like, just a big round tube with flat ends. The power boiler here is on another level. This is about as big of a boiler as I have inspected.

Looking up from inside the firebox. The lighter tubes poking out there are superheater tubes. About 120 feet up.

The coal chute. This is a fluidized bed style boiler. That means the coal is laying across the floor and combustion air is injected from underneath.

Another shot of the firebox

One end of the steam drum

It's a long one (That's what she said)...

Looking down...

The inside of the drum. Those are moisture separators. You don't want water droplets in your steam. Especially going to a turbine. What hitting the blades will damage them and can result in blades breaking free and causing all sorts of havoc.

These are some fairly large relief valves...

I think this was looking across the economizer section...

That high pressure steam feeds this bad boy. I think it was rated around 76 MW.

The exhaust from that turbine is at a much lower pressure but still high enough to run another set of three turbine generators. I think each of these were rated around 7 MW.

When we were done it was another long drive back to Denver. Back through the mountains in a scattered snow storm. Scattered in that it was kind of all over but only heavy snow fall and zero visibility in a few areas, like the 12300' mountain pass!!

You can see the clouds building as we traveled...

Fun times. If you're not familiar with driving in snowy conditions or taking pictures while in the snow storm (I was the passenger, no worries) but what you see in the camera is way better than what you actually see. Basically I couldn't see the vehicle ahead except through the camera.

Long drop and they don't always have a guard rail...

Then it let up and the rest of the trip was slow and steady on the downhill side...

More later...
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #659
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

That's some pretty country.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #660
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice scenery shots! I'll get back out there some day. I've only ever been to Denver. And that was land, wait, and get on another plane. Doesn't really count. Haha

Man that fire box looks big. How many tons of coal do they usually put in at a time?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #661
78chevstepside

Iam a retired field construction boilermaker. My last major job i was the welding forman on the lower furnace of a recovery boiler. we replaced superheaters and the rear wall . We also replaced about 250 gen bank tubes .i was in charge of the lower cut line and the welding of the superheats. i see you inspect boilers . I was a field construction boilermaker for over 35 years till i retired last august .
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #662
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice scenery shots! I'll get back out there some day. I've only ever been to Denver. And that was land, wait, and get on another plane. Doesn't really count. Haha

Man that fire box looks big. How many tons of coal do they usually put in at a time?
Just guessing here based on the steaming capacity but there were actually 2 fireboxes that fed that boiler, so about 23 tons/hr in each at full power.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #663
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78chevstepside View Post
Iam a retired field construction boilermaker. My last major job i was the welding forman on the lower furnace of a recovery boiler. we replaced superheaters and the rear wall . We also replaced about 250 gen bank tubes .i was in charge of the lower cut line and the welding of the superheats. i see you inspect boilers . I was a field construction boilermaker for over 35 years till i retired last august .
Congratulations for surviving a long career and making it to retirement. I hope you're enjoying it. Thanks for adding some pics of your work. Looks like you didn't have to do window welds that time.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #664
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Back to my journey, the next day we just did some work around Denver. One boiler room was in a parking garage under a building. This bronco was parked nearby...

This video is from the first day in CO going through the Gateway area...

Then I was back on a plane, heading to San Diego (German for whales vagina I've been told).

I think we flew over the Grand Canyon, but this could just be some other canyons too. I'm hoping for a closer look next week.

Back on the ground in southern CA. It's been 29 years since I was last here. Ahhh, the sunset over the 7-11...

The next morning I was picked up by another inspector and we bounced around San Diego most of the day. The first stop had this beast in for repairs...

At another stop the shop owner had this buggy out front. He got it for trade for some work but wants to put a manx style body on it. This one isn't very appealing.

Southern Cali scenery...

I'd forgotten how mountainous it is there.

Behind a body shop in LA. Watch your step. That first one is a doosey...

The shop owner where this lincoln was said the guy found it on craigslist. He went and bought it and while driving home on the freeway the brakes went out completely. So it's in the shop for new brake lines and hoses. All original and in awesome condition.

Not much later I was on yet another plane and going home. I think I spent at least 50 hours as a passenger in 5 days. I don't think I left my yard for a couple days after that trip.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #665
turp mcspray

Great pics!!!!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #666
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
This next set of pics is mainly just scenery. I had to go visit a couple of my inspectors. One is in CO and the other in southern CA. I would have loved to be on my own and stop all over taking pics of the cool stuff I saw along the way, but that wasn't really an option. There was plenty to see but I spent most of the 70 hour work week as a passenger. There are a few pics of cars/trucks but it's limited.

The only part of CO I had ever seen before was the airport terminal. If you haven't been there, it's pretty much like any other terminal and if you were expecting to see the scenic vistas you were disappointed. Denver is actually located on the high plains. Look east and it's basically Nebraska for as far as the eye can see. Look west and the mountains are there, but Denver isn't "in" the mountains.

This trip I was picked up at the airport by the inspector and after the 5 hours of travel I already had at that point we proceeded on through central CO for the next 7-8 hours. The scenery was awesome though and I truly did miss the mountains. I love it out west. So enjoy the scenery everyone. I sure did.
Other than looking west and seeing the mountains, Denver is just another big city. But get out of town and up in the mountains and Colorado is incredible. I have two sons in Denver. Last year the wife and I spent some time with the kids then took the camper up in the mountains a couple hours north and west of Denver. Had a spot on the shore of a mountain lake. It was so cool we're going back again this summer.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #667
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Lots of cool pics again. Thanks for the ride along!

Bill's Gallery
Old 03-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #668
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I sure like the California weather and scenery, but not the congested roads or some of the people there. Haha Love the pics of the mountains. Very nice.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #669
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I totally agree
Quote:
I sure like the California weather and scenery, but not the congested roads or some of the people there. Haha Love the pics of the mountains. Very nice.
I hope I'm not one of those people. ......

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #670
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I totally agree
Quote:
I hope I'm not one of those people. ......

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #671
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks for the feed back. It was a good trip overall. My only regret was not having the time to really stop and check things out because there was sooo much to see in both places. CO had lots of old chevy trucks on and off the road. And CA, well come on, it's southern CA. There's hardly a place on this world to compare it to for cars and trucks.

About a week after I got home I was willing to leave the yard and took the wife and our still at home sons to the world of wheels car show in Minneapolis. So more car show pics, but hey, I'm not making you look at them. It was held at the new Vikings stadium so it was cool to see some of my tax dollars at work! (It's at least partially funded publicly)

One of the first cars as you walk in is this super cool Cheetah. I had the chance to buy one last year at a swap meet for $25k. It was a project car. It probably would have been worth every penny of it and more since they are quite rare, but I didn't have $25k to take the gamble on it.

The story on these corvettes is that there were a pair of body shells someone made with them stuck together one on top of the other. IDK why, sounds stupid to me but in any case, some guy heard about them and eventually found them and built a couple of pretty damn nice corvettes. I love the paint.

The stripe was made from copper foil. I dig it...

Nice...

69 Mach 1, my favorite

I've seen this caddy at a few shows and I think it was on hot rod power tour also. But it's the first time my wife saw it. She was in awe. Flummoxed by the sheer size of it.

Ooooh look, another black lincoln...

Impressive flame job.

One of the few original 70 Boss 429's...

There were a couple of these 40's GM's at the show, not an Olds like mine but the same body. Now I always get pics so I have a reference and something to compare it to when I start building mine. This is not the style I'll be going for but a nice car. It had an LS swap and a whipple super charger in it. That is more my style.

This mustang had a mix of new and old and I think the owner or builder did a nice job blending them.

Cobras!!!

They were all kit cars and displayed like a used car lot with what they estimated the prices would be in 1969. I think all 3 had 427 engines. I was thinking about using the V-6 ecoboost in mine and possibly try to make it AWD, but I've since been leaning towards a 5.0 coyote engine with a 6 speed manual and IRS from a 2015 and up mustang.

I like the old style meats...

Rolling on 21's I think?

These next few are ones I've seen on the net before...

It's insanely huge...

Scooter. Doesn't look easy to get on and ride and hope to hell you don't tip it over.

My mailman is faster than yours...

Would I try and drive one of these? Probably a big nope, but dang...

I got one souvenir from the show. I got to meet Gene Winfield. They were set up to work on chopping a car top at the show. Looked like a complete PITA. I didn't really get to talk to him because other people were wanting to get their own signed posters or shirts or whatever, but just amazing that the guy is still hard at it after about 70 years on the job.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #672
Indian113

Thank You! Awesome coverage of the Show. If you do go with the Coyote in your Cobra I think you will really like it. I know I will use a Ls engine from now on after putting one in my S10.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #673
paul blair

Thanks HGS for the notes and pics! Good to see parts of the USA I would never have seen! Felt as if I was riding along with you. Some scary mountain in the snow driving! You have a good eye for capturing some great misc. stuff. HAPPY TRAILS
paul blair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #674
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice pics! That's a weird deal on those corvettes. They sure look sweet now! That engine in that pete rod is an 8v92. 736 cubes of screamin, leakin, deezul powa.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #675
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Thank You! Awesome coverage of the Show. If you do go with the Coyote in your Cobra I think you will really like it. I know I will use a Ls engine from now on after putting one in my S10.
Thanks. I hope so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul blair View Post
Thanks HGS for the notes and pics! Good to see parts of the USA I would never have seen! Felt as if I was riding along with you. Some scary mountain in the snow driving! You have a good eye for capturing some great misc. stuff. HAPPY TRAILS
Thank you.
Quote:
Very nice pics! That's a weird deal on those corvettes. They sure look sweet now! That engine in that pete rod is an 8v92. 736 cubes of screamin, leakin, deezul powa.
That engine looks nutz!

Here's a few more pics from the show. This was called the family hauler. It's not your typical cruiser.

Baby car seat in a car with a roll cage.

Lots of browns and earth tones at the show.

And more than a couple with the very flashy tangerine

Beast...

Motorcycle engined mini racer. Looks like a blast. This one was driven by a 12 year old...

That's my wife in the pink sweatshirt and her 13 year old son for size perspective.

Love these old broncos...

I think this was from the light blue early 60's C-10. Clean engine bay with some massive tubs.

I have some pics from last week when I went up to North Dakota, but I have to get a bunch of stuff done this morning before I hit the road again. I'll be in Vegas tonight!