The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #676
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

My first project this evening was to clean up the welds on the headers. I picked up a flapper disc and worked the welds as far as possible. Once the welds are built back up I will hit them again. Once the welds are finished I will be coating them with Cerakote for protection.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-13-2017 at 12:35 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #677
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
My first project this evening was to clean up the welds on the headers. I picked up a flapper disc and worked the welds as far as possible. Once the welds are built back up I will hit them again. Once the welds are finished I will be coating them with Cerakote for protection.
lol, that first pic looks like 2 eyes, a nose, like a little angry face! Nice to get those cleaned up!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #678
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
lol, that first pic looks like 2 eyes, a nose, like a little angry face! Nice to get those cleaned up!
Probably a reflection of me still shaking my head at the poor work done.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-14-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #679
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Tonight I finished what I started last night. I had to vent the a/c system so I could move the compressor clear. That allowed better access to the passenger side of the motor.
As usual, I stripped the block and prepped it for paint. Once I had it completely clean I gave it a few good coats of color. With that task completed, the motor is done except the oil pan. I plan to pull the panel tomorrow.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #680
Jhawk73

Looks great. Subscribed!
Jhawk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #681
cochino12
It followed me home?

Truck is looking great Ken, I wish I had your patience.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #682
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawk73 View Post
Looks great. Subscribed!
Thanks for following
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
Truck is looking great Ken, I wish I had your patience.
Thanks Adam. It's less patience and more persistence. I'm really just trying to catch up with guys like you that have had several nice trucks. I'm a bit behind.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #683
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yesterday Chris and I were successful in accomplishing a goal, but not actually working on Scarlett.
My wife had requested I help her organize our attic so she could store our Christmas decorations.
She needed more efficient use of the space so I added some shelving. The area in front of the shelf was exposed so we adding deck floor. Of course we had to sheetc rock to cover the insulation and exposed nails and wiring.
Momma is happy, so I get to be happy too.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #684
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With that project done, Chris and I had a few service calls to run. Once done it was late but we still wanted to have a sense of accomplishment. We focused on several small tasks before he had to head home.
First off he pulled the supply system from my blasting cabinet. I inspected the supply hose and he took the gun apart again.
We didn't really find anything obvious but there was some media clogged in the gun. After we cleared the line it worked properly again. Fist bumps and smiles all around.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #685
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With the blasting cabinet working properly we focused on the dash bezel and overlay from Brothers truck parts. The quality of the bezel is amazing. To ensure that the overlay wold sTay in place we spray the back with 3M adhesive. It may not be necessary, but it sure can't hurt.
With the overlay securely fastened Chris pulled the old bezel and installed he new.
HUGE difference! The dash came to life. The chrome rings added brightness to the restored cluster . The brushed aluminum matched the rest of the trim perfectly and made us smile.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #686
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

While Chris worked on the dash bezel, I started on a tedious task. The evaporater core needed some attention. I set about the task of gently straightening the fins. I didn't finish so more pics later. Here's what I started with.

I also scuffed and painted the billet thermostat housing. I never install polished aluminum parts on my motors. Once installed they are impossible to maintain, so they get painted instead.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #687
Desert1957

Quote:
While Chris worked on the dash bezel, I started on a tedious task. The evaporater core needed some attention. I set about the task of gently straightening the fins. I didn't finish so more pics later. Here's what I started with.

I also scuffed and painted the billet thermostat housing. I never install polished aluminum parts on my motors. Once installed they are impossible to maintain, so they get painted instead.
Wow, that condenser looks bent. Sure that thing doesn't leak?

Looks like maybe a replacement is in order.

Name:  20170113_203934 - Copy.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  109.0 KB
Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #688
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
Wow, that condenser looks bent. Sure that thing doesn't leak?Looks like maybe a replacement is in order.
]
It's not bent. It might look that way because the surface it's on is bowed. Trust me, every piece I touch is inspectedoing throughly. If I feel it's questionable it gets rebuilt or replaced.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #689
moregrip

Quote:
Yesterday Chris and I were successful in accomplishing a goal, but not actually working on Scarlett.
My wife had requested I help her organize our attic so she could store our Christmas decorations.
She needed more efficient use of the space so I added some shelving. The area in front of the shelf was exposed so we adding deck floor. Of course we had to sheetc rock to cover the insulation and exposed nails and wiring.
Looking good! I'm in a similar project this weekend, working on better storage ideas to help better organize, declutter the garage! Has to happen to move forward in my case!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #690
TKCR

Quote:
That is a project I need to work on. The PO of the house did an area up in the attic over the garage. But there is a lot more useable space. But what I NEED & WANT is an attic lift!! I'm getting to the place where going up & down those attic steps is hard with stuff in your hands. Here's an example and of course there are all type & prices out there.

https://www.aladdinstoragelift.com/w...ge-attic-lift/
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #691
UKNOWME

Quote:
Ugh! I hate dragging things up and down the attic ladder. When we moved in our current house nothing has gone in there. It's all in my oversized storage unit so I could have my "shop"
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #692
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
Ugh! I hate dragging things up and down the attic ladder. When we moved in our current house nothing has gone in there. It's all in my oversized storage unit so I could have my "shop"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
That is a project I need to work on. The PO of the house did an area up in the attic over the garage. But there is a lot more useable space. But what I NEED & WANT is an attic lift!! I'm getting to the place where going up & down those attic steps is hard with stuff in your hands. Here's an example and of course there are all type & prices out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
Looking good! I'm in a similar project this weekend, working on better storage ideas to help better organize, declutter the garage! Has to happen to move forward in my case!
Fortunately we have direct access to this area. Our normal attic is for service of the HVAC system and water heaters. We have a storage attic above the master bedroom that has access through a spare bedroom closet. You can walk straight in through a door at the back of the closet.
I have a detached six car shop that is decked in with a pull down. My out door decorations go there along with bulky swap meet parts

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #693
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Sunday was a productive day on my build. I wrapped up a lot of small tasks and a couple of big ones. We decided to work on clean parts till lunch, knowing we would be getting dirty after lunch.
Chris spent time on the dome light that we ordered from Brothers Trucks Mine had crumbled when we pulled it down, so we needed a new assembly and lens.

Since the original wiring doesn't have a connector near the light, we opted to add one. Chris used the light receptacle from a newer unit and modified them to fit the new housing. He added fresh wires with connectors in the event it needs to be removed in the future.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-17-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #694
TKCR

Quote:
Sunday was a productive day on my build. I wrapped up a lot of small tasks and a couple of big ones. We decided to work on clean parts till lunch, knowing we would be getting dirty after lunch.
Chris spent time on the dome light that we ordered from Brothers Trucks Mine had crumbled when we pulled it down, so we needed a new assembly and lens.

Since the original wiring doesn't have a connector near the light, we opted to add one. Chris used the light receptacle from a newer unit and modified them to fit the new housing. He added fresh wires with connectors in the event it needs to be removed in the future.
Put a LED bulb and a clear leans, it will be brighter.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #695
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

After he got the light installed we focused on the new cab trim from Brothers Trucks I looked at all my options, and decided that new trim was the only way to go. After seeing the "no logo" trim on a truck at C10s in the Park I knew what I wanted.

Yes, I know the GMC badges are sought after and I had no desire to pay a premium for NOS trim to re-use the badges. I am very pleased with the quality of the trim, and it only required minor adjusting to get the pieces to fit. I do recommend a team install, or it will scrape the paint on your cab if your spotter cant lift the long piece away as it slides on.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #696
TKCR

Quote:
After he got the light installed we focused on the new cab trim from Brothers Trucks I looked at all my options, and decided that new trim was the only way to go. After seeing the "no logo" trim on a truck at C10s in the Park I knew what I wanted.

Yes, I know the GMC badges are sought after and I had no desire to pay a premium for NOS trim to re-use the badges. I am very pleased with the quality of the trim, and it only required minor adjusting to get the pieces to fit. I do recommend a team install, or it will scrape the paint on your cab if your spotter cant lift the long piece away as it slides on.
Those do look nice, even without the badges.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #697
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Put a LED bulb and a clear leans, it will be brighter.
I saw those, but I felt they would be too bright coming from one source. I plan to add a LED strip light under the dash instead.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #698
TKCR

Quote:
I saw those, but I felt they would be too bright coming from one source. I plan to add a LED strip light under the dash instead.
It's not too bright, I would say just the right amount of light. I did the LED's under the dash too. That's the one I really like!! Here's a pic at night.

When I see your interior, kind of makes me miss mine. I had the same color until I changed it to charcoal.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #699
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

After lunch we it was time to get down and dirty. Chris went under the truck to finish up the frame rails while I wrapped up my evaporator core refurbish. Chris cleaned around the area where all the lines converge, the motor mount, and top of the crossmember. Once it was all cleaned and prepped, I went after it with satin black.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-16-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #700
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
It's not too bright, I would say just the right amount of light. I did the LED's under the dash too. That's the one I really like!! Here's a pic at night. When I see your interior, kind of makes me miss mine. I had the same color until I changed it to charcoal.
I will try an LED bulb and see if I like it. I do like what you did under the dash. Thats the type of lighting I prefer.
Quote:
Those do look nice, even without the badges.
I'm a minimalist, so these look much cleaner than the factory pieces to me.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-16-2017 at 04:29 PM.