The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #51
Low Elco

Re: The wifes truck

Looks great! Can't wait to see the surprise pic!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #52
Tinkermc

man you can work a guy real hard, I turned my laptop upside down 2 see he seats, I think it was a test to make sure they were bolted in tight. Then turn the puter right side to see the rest of the seats, love the cab corner speaker boxes nd the 1 wheel looks so nice, will keep on looking on.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #53
longbedlgheadache

Thanks, hopefully will get doors and fenders mounted and adjusted today really running in to a struggle getting subwoofer box to fit behind those buckets and center console...I have done some self guided discovery that I am in fact a terrible fabricator and definately should never be asked to build a speaker box...got the wife to help under the impression that it was for our sons truck so she would have some involvement in some of the truck..for better effect when she gets it. Elco I cant wait for that either I believe I am going to try and video it and post that but at this point I have no clue how far out that is...keep hitting snags seeing more parts that just dont stand up to the new paint and having to order or polish them...nothing fits right everything needs tweeking or adjusting or fabricating...very trying times small victory on inside of truck with the exception of the subs going to have to start mounting the rest of the body to see progress and hopefully get it to a position to paint the outer part..not sure that is the correct process I have cut all the parts in so the insides are all done test mount the doors then work on putting all the insides in them....uhg!
longbedlgheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #54
kevmac

What kinda bucket seat are those, look nice. but the whole truck looks nice
kevmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #55
Harpie

I love those seats! Curious myself where ya got them!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Harpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #56
Tinkermc

some very pretty work goin on here
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #57
NewType72

oh mane as much as I want the truck done I want to see the surprise I am envious of you sir

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #58
longbedlgheadache

Thanks but I got the seat idea from Bruce88 I purchased the santa cruz seat already with black leather on it both options are available and they have a bracket set to match the floor pan seat mounts although I had to do some fabrication because I didnt like how high the seat was so I cut the brackets 1 1/4 inch lower and redrilled the mounting holes then made the existing floor hole in the bracket slotted so I could move the seat 1/2 forward to get a decent kicker box behind the seat and allow the center back to lock into place. Here is the link to the seat. http://www.discountvantruck.com/truc...sSantaCruz.htm
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #59
longbedlgheadache

sorry heres a pic with the seat in...sorry about the mess in the front thats my extra wire and nut and bolt storage compartment. Picture quality sucks working on that one tinker
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #60
Harpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbedlgheadache View Post
Thanks but I got the seat idea from Bruce88 I purchased the santa cruz seat already with black leather on it both options are available and they have a bracket set to match the floor pan seat mounts although I had to do some fabrication because I didnt like how high the seat was so I cut the brackets 1 1/4 inch lower and redrilled the mounting holes then made the existing floor hole in the bracket slotted so I could move the seat 1/2 forward to get a decent kicker box behind the seat and allow the center back to lock into place. Here is the link to the seat. http://www.discountvantruck.com/truc...sSantaCruz.htm
Thank you for that link I saw your pics last night and now I gotta have a set. -Chad
Harpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #61
NewType72

she sure will ride nice with those

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #62
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Damn nice work! BTW, on 87. That is the fuel pump relay.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #63
longbedlgheadache

Managed to get a lot of unvisable work done very got all the wires wrapped installed new cig lighter got the illumination wired in went ahead and put door sill plate and threshold plate in and got the rosehead rivets put in on the plates that I found inside the top of the back cab behind the cargo light..doors are giving me fits been struggling getting them lined up hope to get that dont today and hang the fenders...got my core support modified yesterday to allow my 4 row to fit properly for the first time in its life but it does look great now...I dont believe the fan shroud has ever been in correctly and managed to get that accomplished yesterday as well..didnt think that pic was worthy of a post here.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #64
NewType72

those are interesting plates on the doorjamb (topside not by the sill plates) or maybe I just cant remember mine too well great set of stuff done though keep rolling man

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #65
longbedlgheadache

Ok finally got the doors adjusted and got the fenders on going to get the hood fitted on today then get them ready for paint...finally starting to see some progress ...wiring apparently done correctly got the engine started stereo sounds good but must have wired something incorrectly with the vintage air the blower is staying on with or without ignition on when power hooked up...hopefully will get that corrected today.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #66
Low Elco

Lookin' great! You're not far out now! Check your PM's.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #67
longbedlgheadache

Got the hood on and am absolutely stumped. cant get the hood to fit very well at all the center against the cowl cover appears to be almost an inch high I have adjusted the hinges as far down as I can...is this a common problem with replacement hoods? Anyone know a fix?
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #68
GMCJOE

Nice work. Where did you order that seat from? I really like that one, and looking for one to eventually replace mine with.
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #69
longbedlgheadache

http://www.discountvantruck.com/truc...sSantaCruz.htm
Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #70
GMCJOE

Thanks. The link doesn't actually take me to that seat, but I might be able to find it thru the website.
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #71
NewType72

that's the problem with replacement no matter how good the product fitment is always an issue I even can't get my OEM equipment perfect but tweaking is where its at so keep steady ati if not salsa on top of it jkjk

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #72
mjensen

Okay, I'm in. Great work so far!

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #73
Fw190d9

With the Vintage air system, You have to program the control module to work with whatever a/c control you are using. . Last step in the instructions. Ground the grey wire from the a/c harness and follow the instructions.
Evan Q.
Fw190d9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #74
longbedlgheadache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fw190d9 View Post
With the Vintage air system, You have to program the control module to work with whatever a/c control you are using. . Last step in the instructions. Ground the grey wire from the a/c harness and follow the instructions.
Evan Q.
...Thanks I ended up finding a ground wire that I didnt connect properly so the system is operational now.

Thanks all finally got the hood adjusted properly had to slot my right hinge bolt hole as the adjustment wasnt the same as the left side...had to turn it over to a real prep guy to prime and block the outside..It means too much to me and to my wife to have shotty prep work done which I would at best be...kind of funny how its much more urgent when in someone elses hands..I have been stressing him out trying to get him to finish it....can wait to see it completely painted then the reassembly of the door components and talgate and window installation to go from there...tried to bleed the brakes yesterday and discovered 3 of them are leaking so that will give me an excuse to supervise the prep work...I missed several small dents on the interior of the cab when I prepped it and they scream at me every time I look in there and with a black paint job it really stands out thats why I have passed that to my poor bastard friend who owns the paint shop ive been using..he hesitantly agreed to do it the right way for me for a case of beer labor charge...gladly accepted!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #75
longbedlgheadache

ok so a little embarassment to share with all....with a reminder I make no claim of being a great mechanic a great parts puller but not mechanic..so as I was watching my fenders and doors get blocked and sanded...(all complete now just the top of the cab to go) I decide to try and make sure my excellent disc brake conversion was done correctly I fill with brake fluid and pump the brakes about 10 times and turn and see a murder scene worth of brake fluid coming out of both rear calipers..(sigh) so I think I overtightened or under the copper washers causing them not to seal so I go through the whole process two more times before my pride allowed me to ask for help...I call my friend Tony that goes something like this>>>
me...Tony I cant get my disc brakes to seal
Tony...check your flare washers
me....Ive done that 2 times
Tony... get a torque wrench set on 40lbs to make sure you arent overtightening and make sure you are using a different set of flare washers than the ones that are on there
me...ok (slight cursing)
I run to autozone and pick up the proper size copper flare washers in a box and drive back to the shop...same result so I call my buddy again
me...this GD washer is not sealing will you please come help me with this
Tony...ok be there in ten.......
15 minutes later he shows up and within a couple minute he is in uncontrollable laughter
me...wtf are you laughing for help me find the problem!!!!
Tony..you realize your bleed valves are pointing down dont you???
me...no of course I dont wtf does that me
Tony..you have the calipers on the wrong side dumbass
whole shop 4 guys all my buddies break out into laughter
He takes pity on me changes them to the correct sides hooks the lines up all within about 30 minutes fills fluid absolutely not a single drip leaks out...
Tony...you want me to go ahead and bleed these for you so you dont kill your wife..(laughter)
me...(head down) yes asshole I would appreciate it

cost $5 for washers
Pride- All gone
Time lost..4 hrs
Lesson learned...always ask for help when you have no experience changing brakes
Friends comic relief...priceless
Damn I love my wife !