The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #51
1956cameo

Re: Finally got a 72 suburban

Hey everyone, Justcuz, I honestly don't know anything about those roof racks except that I see them on other 67-72 burbs although not that often. It would make sense that it is a dealer add on because my gas tank is also a dealer add on tank. If anyone has anymore info on these types of luggage racks I would love to hear it.
Burbunite, Thanks for the info about the sending unit. When I took it out to inspect the tank I compared it to a replacement blazer unit. Nothing alike, and I was wondering where in the heck I would get a replacement. The gas guage seems to work some times but not all the time so I am thinking a new unit is in my future. The one that is in there now says that it is 60 ohms.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #52
jorgensensc

I looked at the Chevsll wagon racks before. They are completely different in the front. The wagons have three legs Across the front and come to a point. The funny thing is most people really don't like/ want the roof rack, so they get torn up and trashed. They really aren't worth a lot of money, unless they are in pristine condition or NOS. And there is only a few of us goofy people that actually want one. Oh well. I'm still looking for a nice one for my wifes burb.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #53
1956cameo

Hey jorgensensc, I have been looking for one (roof rack) in our area because I know you wan't one but haven't seen anything. I am glad mine has it because I actually plan to use it, to ocassionally haul ladders and other stuff to and from swap meets.

Also I have a question about my brake light on the dash that comes on when something is wrong with the brakes. When I got my suburban the brake light on the dash was on. This made sense because the brakes didn't work. Now the burb has all new brakes, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers, and rubber lines. The new brakes work great and the brake lights work as they should. However the brake light on the dash still stays on; any ideas. Now I didn't replace the power booster or the proportioning valve. Could my problem lay there or something else?

Last edited by 1956cameo; 12-02-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 AM   #54
Frizzle Fry

That warning light is controlled by a pressure switch on the prop valve. It's supposed to come on when there is a certain differential pressure between the front and rear circuits indicating that one of the reservoirs is going dry. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post

Also I have a question about my brake light on the dash that comes on when something is wrong with the brakes. When I got my suburban the brake light on the dash was on. This made sense because the brakes didn't work. Now the burb has all new brakes, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers, and rubber lines. The new brakes work great and the brake lights work as they should. However the brake light on the dash still stays on; any ideas. Now I didn't replace the power booster or the proportioning valve. Could my problem lay there or something else?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #55
70rs/ss

Still holding out that you'll sell it to me If not what are you going to do with the parts burb?? It looks solid and seems to only need doors and a clip?? How about that one?? Again a road trip to TX may be iffy but I'd give it a shot for a decent burb body/frame?? LMK

Oh Yeah, and I am still green with envy!!! I cannot believe I didn't at least try to buy that thing!! I could have let it sit till I could get there?? Hindsight being 20/20 right?!

You might check the prop valve, however they really don't go bad, maybe the brown wire is disconnected somewhere, or the fluid is low, and or the system has a few bubbles in it where the rears aren't woking as good as the fronts??
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #56
justcuz

I'll look again at my roof rack on the Chevelle and post up some measurements for comparison. If is the same width and close to the same length, who would really know the difference?

As far as the brake light goes, the brown wire coming out of the pressure differential valve is what goes to your dash light I believe. If you disconnect it and the light goes out, you need to recenter the valve. There is a piston inside that moves back and forth and when all is well with the system it stays centered. Somewhere there is a thread on how to do this, but I can't find it now. Is there a bleeder on the differential valve? Maybe thats how you center it, sorry I forgot. Been a while since I had to work on the brakes!
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #57
1956cameo

Frizzle Fry and justcuz, thanks for the info about the brake light. I will look into what you all said and see if that takes care of it. I wanted to get a new proportioning valve but my dad said the same thing as 70rs/ss; that they really dont go bad.

I say if the roof rack fits and you like it use it. Most likely only the most knowledgable will know it doesn't belong, but the other 99% of people will think it is stock.

70rs/ss, Yeah im still holding out; but look at it this way the longer I hold out the more little bugs get worked out of the system. I have been looking for nice BB project suburbans in my area for you but haven't seen anything in the area (yet). Don't worry though it seems as thought nice solid gems are always coming out of the woodworks in Austin, San Antonio, and to a little lesser degree Dallas/Ft. Worth.

If I owned the parts suburban outright I would sell it to someone for a project (Really don't want to see it finished off). Unfortunately I wen't in halves on it with my father in law. And in return he was guaranteed the quarter panels for his rusty 4wd 72 burb. Believe it or not I actually have the two front doors to the burb also. Before I knew shane I actually bought the doors from him at Pate Swap Meet. When I picked up the parts burb I told him how I had already bought the doors. It's a real shame he parted it to begin with. He said it was complete when he got it and the only reason he parted it was because the intake was missing and a rats nest was on top of the engine. After telling me this I was looking at him with a look of "Uhhhh Yeah and...."

Last edited by 1956cameo; 12-03-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #58
70rs/ss

Just keep me in mind, if I finally sell some of my other projects that dark green sweetheart would fit my family's needs perfectly!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 12-04-2008 at 03:35 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #59
1956cameo

Too bad your aeren't lusting after a rusty and crusty bright orange 72 blazer. I am taking pics of mine tommorrow with all my parts that go with it and am posting it on here to see if it generates any attention.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #60
jorgensensc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Just keep me in mind, if I finally sell some of my other projects that dark green sweetheart would fit my family's needs perfectly!
You'll have to go through me to get it first!! HA HA!
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #61
shaneschevys
Its always something!

If I owned the parts suburban outright I would sell it to someone for a project (Really don't want to see it finished off). Unfortunately I wen't in halves on it with my father in law. And in return he was guaranteed the quarter panels for his rusty 4wd 72 burb. Believe it or not I actually have the two front doors to the burb also. Before I knew shane I actually bought the doors from him at Pate Swap Meet. When I picked up the parts burb I told him how I had already bought the doors. It's a real shame he parted it to begin with. He said it was complete when he got it and the only reason he parted it was because the intake was missing and a rats nest was on top of the engine. After telling me this I was looking at him with a look of "Uhhhh Yeah and...."

I hated to part it out. But the 402 was locked up & there was no title. So I felt I would do better parting it than selling it whole.
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #62
1956cameo

Hey Shane, Must of forgotten about you saying the engine was locked; although it makes perfect sense. No title part is a bummer too. Sorry didn't mean to misrepresent you or your intentions. Everyone I have met Shane and his wife twice now and they are about the nicest people I have ever met. If you need a part and he has it definately do business with him! Definately a smart move moneywise to part than to try and sell w/o title and locked engine. Hey you wouldn't happen to have any 402 big block A/C brackets?