The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #51
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Re: Are you proud of your american made automobile ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gumby View Post
The fact is Honda and Toyota are Japanese car companys not American. Everyone that buys one of these cars sends their 20 odd thousand dollors out of this country. They use and pollute our land to make their money while paying a few bucks for labor. I have and always will drive American Cars even if the Big Three go under I'll just have to keep an old American car running till the day I die. I will not buy a car from a company that is owned buy a country that attacked us and tried to kill my father along the way. Let them build their cars in their own country and let us charge an import tax. Now let's see how well you all like your Toyotas and Hondas.

That said I drive a 2000 Pontiac with almost 96,000 miles and my 69 truck. I have never had to do anything other than the routine maintenance. The paint and upholstery are perfect. That's an American car.
More cars are built in the US and exported than are imported. Starting in the mid 90s, Toyota, Honda and other plants with factories state-side becan increasing production and exporting more than they import. With most of the parts made and manufactured and assembled right here in the US, it has gotten to the point where Toyota and Hyundai is more of an American product than any of the big 3. The big 3 have outsourced the parts manufacturing to Canada and Mexico, with a few specific computerized portions coming from overseas, and only the assembly of the vehicle itself is handled within the US. Latest numbers show 35-45% of the total vehicle's parts that the big 3 use in their new vehicles are made outside of the US.
Yet For Toyota and a few others the number is much lower, usually 5-15% come from outside of the US.
Anymore it is more of American pride in the roots of the big 3, regardless of how or where the modern vehicle and its parts is produced.

One major startup I am keeping an eye on is Tesla. they are one of the few that also use a large percentage of American made parts aside from some computer or electronic parts. I believe a good majority of the parts in the Chevy Volt will also be manufactured stateside but as it is released and demand increases, some parts may end up being made overseas.

Welcome to the new millennium and our shifting global economy.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #52
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
More cars are built in the US and exported than are imported. Starting in the mid 90s, Toyota, Honda and other plants with factories state-side becan increasing production and exporting more than they import. With most of the parts made and manufactured and assembled right here in the US, it has gotten to the point where Toyota and Hyundai is more of an American product than any of the big 3. The big 3 have outsourced the parts manufacturing to Canada and Mexico, with a few specific computerized portions coming from overseas, and only the assembly of the vehicle itself is handled within the US. Latest numbers show 35-45% of the total vehicle's parts that the big 3 use in their new vehicles are made outside of the US.
Yet For Toyota and a few others the number is much lower, usually 5-15% come from outside of the US.
Anymore it is more of American pride in the roots of the big 3, regardless of how or where the modern vehicle and its parts is produced.

One major startup I am keeping an eye on is Tesla. they are one of the few that also use a large percentage of American made parts aside from some computer or electronic parts. I believe a good majority of the parts in the Chevy Volt will also be manufactured stateside but as it is released and demand increases, some parts may end up being made overseas.

Welcome to the new millennium and our shifting global economy.
Do not know where you got your #'s but I will site my source and you can evaluate it's accuracy from there.
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ts&subject=ami

these are the facts I have seen:
"it's hard to deny that among the most popular U.S.-built cars and trucks, the models with the highest domestic content ratings come from Detroit automakers. Of the 35 most popular U.S.-built 2008 and 2009 models — based on sales through May 31, 2008 — 43 percent of GM, Ford and Chrysler contenders had domestic content ratings of 75 percent or higher. In comparison, just 25 percent of the Nissan, Honda, Hyundai and Toyota models on the list achieved that."
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #53
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I almost never buy new so my car money gets spent in the US no matter what I buy.

(My Toyota is 78% US. btw)
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....

Last edited by panhandler62; 02-19-2009 at 03:04 PM.
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #54
welsh kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninLo View Post
there is NO SUCH thing as an american made automobile hell even that great american Icon Harley Davidson has more foreign than american parts on it. I about fell over when I could see made in Japan plain as day on the guages of a Harley.

Have been for many years. I've recently replaced the old speedometer on my 72 Ironhead with a NOS made-in-Japan unit, which reads accurately and doesn't behave like there's a windscreen-wiper motor driving the needle like the old one did; although to be fair that was Italian not American.

Hitachi starters have been standard equipment on Shovels for many years, back to the Ironhead it has a Bosch voltage regulator and I could list many other examples.

As far as I know virtually all the MoCo's clothing is made outside the USA, along with luggage, bolt-on shiny bits and all the other accessories which Harley probably make more money on than they do the actual bikes.

If it's of any comfort to you, over here there are regular media campaigns to "buy British" but since we don't have a large-volume motor industry any more (except the all-American NASCAR stuff which us Brits do so well ) it's mainly British food that gets promoted.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #55
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I am very proud to be an american but after working for toyota for 23 years sorry boys and girls they are built in the USA and GM, Ford or Chrysler cant compare..
They may be built in the USA, but that money goes right back to corporate in Japan.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #56
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirkpat View Post
Do not know where you got your #'s ....
The numbers vary greatly depending on manufacturer and model as they stated in that same Article.

"By most measures, Detroit automakers come out ahead. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration measures domestic-parts content ratings across the industry. Among the 58 models with ratings of 75 percent or higher, foreign-based automakers produce just eight (7.25%). Conversely, Detroit automakers produce just 24 of the 140 models with domestic content ratings of 10 percent or less (5.83%)."

Toyota Sienna (85 percent domestic content) and Tundra (80 percent)
Ford Escape fell from 90 percent for '07 to 65 percent for '08, while the Edge dropped from 95 percent for '07 to 70 percent for '08.
Chevrolet Aveo is built by Korean automaker Daewoo which makes it "essentially a zero-parts content" car for GM. In contrast, the Michigan-built Buick Enclave is mostly domestic.
* Ford F-150: 80% domestic content, down from 90% for '07
* Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 85% for '08, down from 90% for '07
* Toyota Camry/Solara: 68% for '08, down from 78% for '07
* Honda Accord: 60% for '08, down from 65% for '07
* Toyota Corolla: 50% for '09, down from 65% for '08
* Toyota Matrix: 65% for '09, down from 75% for '08
* Dodge Ram: 68% for '08, down from 72% for '07
* Honda Pilot: 70% for '09, same as '08
* Honda Civic: 70% for '08, up from 55% for '07

So I guess my numbers should have said 15-45% foreign made parts in the big 3 vehicles??

My point was that as the big 3 has been reducing the American made content for their vehicles, most of the non-big 3 that manufacture here in the US have kept it close to the same (slight drops) or have increased their American based content. If you notice, the more popular and longer running a model is for the big 3, the more likely they will contain more foreign based content as the model continues. The Ford Edge and Escape are still fairly new models so the early models will contain more US based content... yet the long running Dodge RAM in cooperation with Mitsubishi, has less US-based content...
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #57
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
So I guess my numbers should have said 15-45%foreign made parts in the big 3 vehicles??
Only if your intentionaly trying to mislead the people who read this? I do don't think those are the #'s stated in the article?

Let me present this in a different format:

This is a list of the 10 most popular U.S. Made Vehicles ( Largest prod.#s)

What you will notice is that first 4/10 and over 70% of the best selling U.S. built vehicles,are built By U.S. Company's (Big Three), These all have Domestic Parts Content of 75% or more. Accordding to this article on http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....08&subject=ami

As far as Imports, I think that they are great, they made the big three step up and build cars consumers want. They help this economy in a myriad of ways, They do not however make a more "American Car" , I am sorry I can not let that misconception be furthered

1. Ford F-150* Claycomo, Mo.;Dearborn, Mich. 1
2. Chevrolet Cobalt Lordstown, Ohio 2
3. Chevrolet Malibu** Kansas City, Kan. 9
4. Pontiac G6 Orion, Mich. 5
5. Toyota Tundra Princeton, Ind.;San Antonio 4
6. Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind. 6
7. Honda Odyssey Lincoln, Ala. -
8. Chevrolet Silverado 1500* Fort Wayne, Ind.; Pontiac, Mich. 3
9. Chrysler Sebring Sterling Heights, Mich. -
10. Ford Explorer/Sport Trac Louisville, Ky. 10

Last edited by Skirkpat; 02-19-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #58
Andy4639
Old member

Why does anyone think the unions got us anything other than more money out of your pockets. I have worked for 30 years and never had a union help me at all except spend more money everytime I buy a car.

SC is a right to work state and unions just have no place here. I worked 40 hrs a week for years with 3 day weekends payed hollidays, 5 weeks vacation, sick leave and there ant no union here!
UAW workers work hard... how hard is it to work on assembly line.
As others have stated if there were vehicles cheap enough when I needed to get one I to would have owned nothing but GM, but since the union's have increased the prices of american products we can't always afford what we want, so I bought what I could afford and didn't go in debt over and above what I knew I could pay back just so the govenment would bail me out.I own 5 vehicles one is totaled and the sorry you know what that stole it can't pay for it.
The other one is my daughters car so she can get to college.
The other three are in my drive way and they are all GM.
Sorry for the long post.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #59
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
... how hard is it to work on assembly line.
I do it 40 hrs a week. That said...it's not for everybody. One of my good friends that I used to work with had a relative that constantly asked him the same thing. He was cool about it, just kinda shrugged his shoulders and let it go. The next time our plant was doing some hiring he helped his relative get their foot in the door. His relative lasted less then a month....Never gave him a hard time again about "how hard is it to work on an assembly line?"
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #60
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Dang GM quality,I have a 94 Sonoma with a 2.2 engine that blew up on me.It made the list of the ten worst motors.I hauled all kinds of stuff around,Even stove pellets a ton at a time.......if you caught it just right you could only get 3rd gear scratch...........can't believe all i got out of it was 221,000
Attached Images

powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #61
leddzepp

Unions are a double edged sword...sometimes they are good, sometimes they are bad. Globalization has done more to ruin this country than anything else.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #62
Andy4639
Old member

When I say that, I mean your in a controlled envorment to a point. If you work on a assembly line you have the one job to do for that station. At least I think that's how it works.
I'm outside, inside working on all kinds of differant equipment.
I have to adapt for whatever work I'm given. Running a nuclear fuel crane to move fuel around, taking a 200,000 ton head off to refuel a reactor vessel or going out and adding 3 oz of oil to a pump motor or tearing it apart to trouble shoot it.
Most of my work is with 18' poles, working under water with nuclear fuel.
I couldn't work in a assembly plant I hate standing in one place all day.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #63
boatpuller

31 years in the union.i wouldn't have it any other way.iv'e noticed in my time on this rock that those opposed to union's,aren't in one.they have some bad points.sure. but,they do alot of good for the members too.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #64
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
I do it 40 hrs a week. That said...it's not for everybody. One of my good friends that I used to work with had a relative that constantly asked him the same thing. He was cool about it, just kinda shrugged his shoulders and let it go. The next time our plant was doing some hiring he helped his relative get their foot in the door. His relative lasted less then a month....Never gave him a hard time again about "how hard is it to work on an assembly line?"
I hope you can take my opinion without feeling that I am beig adversarial, this is not my intention.

Andy, how long exactly have you worked production ? I am going to assume never because of the response above, If I am wrong please enlighten me...

Missouri is a right to work state also, we have alot of great union jobs!! glad we do it sets the bar a little higher for the lesser employers, Oh and before you say I am Biased because I work for the union, please note that I am self-employed, and have been for years . But I still support the Men and Women who sacrificed for this country, and the Union Worker is what made America Great!!

State Unemloyment Rankings Nov. 2008 http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis..._unemployment/

1 MICHIGAN 9.6
2 RHODE ISLAND 9.3
3 CALIFORNIA 8.4
3 SOUTH CAROLINA 8.4

According to CNN SC could use any jobs, especially secure Union ones?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #65
boatpuller

oops,sorry.it wasn't my intent to turn this into a anti vs union post..thought i'd defend the other side though.the original post states are you "".proud of your american made automobile.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #66
Skirkpat

Andy, this is how it works, 100 degrees outside 114 degrees inside, with enough equipment running to make you deaf with out ear plugs, now if you have ever put a car seat in, then try doing it 600 times a night , and you have to bolt it down and plug in the harness, put three plugs in the floor, and hang a door panel for the next guy to shoot......now hurry back 20 feet because you get to do it 599 more times tonight,

Oh and if you drank a little last night and have to do a duece....turn on a light and pinch becase just like grade school your gonna have to wait a while for someone to let you go. they may or may not come, you never know.

It sounds easy, it is not .... physically or mentally. Walk in their shoes and I am sure you would agree
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #67
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
oops,sorry.it wasn't my intent to turn this into a anti vs union post..thought i'd defend the other side though.the original post states are you "".proud of your american made automobile.
Good point. I am sorry please exscuse my ranting, All cars rule, people on the other hand I am not so sure of some times, I am one of those people???? Please forgive me,
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #68
see ten
WTB this ad

Hey! I think all three of my 72 pickups were made in America! And I'm proud of all of em!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #69
Andy4639
Old member

No I haven't ever worked production. I'm done on this as stated it's a post on cars not unions. I have my opinion as everyone else.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #70
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Oops... double post
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #71
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
seems everything i buy these days
has got a foreign name
from the kind of car i drive
to my video game
i got a nikkon camera
a sony color tee vee
but the one that i love is from the u.s.a.
And standing next to me.

My baby is american made
born and bred in the u.s.a.
From her silky long hair to her sexy long legs
my baby is american made.

She looks good in her tight blue jeans
she bought in mexico
and she loves wearing french perfume
everywhere we go
but when it comes to the lovin' part
one thing is true
my baby's genuine u.s.a.
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #72
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

If it wasn't for union wages do you think non-union would pay as well. Nope, they keep there wages up to keep unions out. So thank a union if your makin' 20 or more a hour!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #73
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel29gm View Post
If it wasn't for union wages do you think non-union would pay as well. Nope, they keep there wages up to keep unions out. So thank a union if your makin' 20 or more a hour!!
So, who do I thank when entire companies say **** this country when operating costs (usually wages) get so high they pack up and leave?

Rhetorical question
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 02-19-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #74
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
So, who do I thank when entire companies say **** this country when operating costs (usually wages) get so high they pack up and leave?

Rhetorical question
Lazy Americans who won't work for 60.00 a week, oh yah, Americans can't live on that can we?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #75
67ChevyRedneck

It cost more than that to fill my truck up last year.
Project "On a Dime"