The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2003, 12:07 PM   #51
SCOTI

Right on guys. 68LSS1, no answers on the Hydratech system but some guys on the protouring.com site use them & might have valuable info.

My take on the 2 vs. 4 link debate.... both will work on the street, if set-up correctly (the pinion angle is correctly set @ ride height), period. The 4 link allows for more articulation....FACT. The 2 link is an easier bolt-on style kit vs. readily available 4 link kits. 2 link kits are typically less $$ vs. 4 link kits.

An AOL set-up works quite well although w/high HP situations, spring wrap up could be an issue. I'll stick w/my trailing arms though....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:36 PM   #52
Izzy
Trucker.

Quote:
Originally posted by ShamrockCustoms
thought i would also note that the setup in that photo displays the bags mounted too far to the front, if you end up doing a 2 link Slammed87, definitely place the bags as close to the axle as you can go. the stress and leverage placed on those BAGS/air lines in the forward-mounted position will be extreme. (Like trying to do pushups with your arms raised above your head instead of directly underneath you.)

good luck!
That's the way every other 2 link is setup so they can get a 2:1 ration for more lift. SSC, Ekstensive, IF and all the others put it closer to the front for the lift.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #53
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

Quote:
And as far as all this 4 link stuff: that suspension was meant for a straight line. It may allow you to get your air bags in there but it's not for "handling." Yes, I know you can do things to make it street freindly but you still can't say it will out perform a trailing arm set up correctly. You 4 link guys jack your frame up on the side towards the back until one rear tire is completely off the ground and see how squarely the other rear is sitting on the ground.
Sorry dude. Actually Ladderbars and 2 link are more suited to straight line driving. A 4 link is as good as you'll get for handling without going to IRS. Simply stated, you have 4 pivot points instead of 2. That equates to better articulation (one wheel up the other down). Better articulation equates to better response to road conditions. Oh, and don't confuse a 2 link for a trailing arm, especially the factory set up. The 2 link does not have the geometric advantage that our trailing arms so (see photo, page 1).

Here's what I think the bottom line is:

Most everyone agrees that the 4 link is superior.
So, why go 2 link instead of 4 link?
To save a buck or two, period.

That's fine. You get what you pay for and that may be good enough. Just like everyone else, I've settled for good enough many times and it's almost always budget driven.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:55 PM   #54
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

See, now isn't this much better? Now that we calmed things down a bit, we can get back to intelligent conversation rather than bashing one another.

Y'all keep it going, but play nice please...
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 12:00 AM   #55
Slammed '87

...lol, well since you said please. hehe, yeah this has been an interesting thread so far. So N2TRUX, somewhere i read that you have a leaf spring suspenision on your truck, is that correct? I know lotsa guys that have ran with their stock leafs (minus a few) with a flip kit and bags. Sounds like it rides good, from what i hear. I originally was gonna go with my stock leafs, flip kit, and shakles and hangers. I have seen this done b4, and was a decent set up, but that would only get me to about 13" of drop. I am at 12" now, and need 3" to lay rocker, so that's why i need the (arguemental) 2 link, or 4 link. I am gonna run 17's with really low pro rubber so it should be childsplay. :-)
Old 11-15-2003, 12:41 AM   #56
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by Slammed '87
...lol, well since you said please. hehe, yeah this has been an interesting thread so far. So N2TRUX, somewhere i read that you have a leaf spring suspenision on your truck, is that correct? ...
I just knew I should have stayed out of this thread

Yes, you are correct. My 77 Cheyenne uses an AOL set up in the rear. If you ask the "real" experts, like Tony at Air Ride Technology, Bill at Ekstensive, Glenn at Cutten Customs, or Bill Dermond from Road Surfer, they will all tell you DO NOT use the same set up I have.

My system is pictured below, so you judge for yourself what you think about it. I can tell you that it rides very nice aired up which is what I want it to do. I have no problem with it for my application, and can recommend it...but....it's not the "perfect" set up for everyone.

The reason I say this is because I know I would have wheel hop if I had a motor with some real power. I also know it could ride better if we had not put the 2" blocks back there.

My point is there are ways that you could say it's all wrong. The end result is, it works very well for what I am using it for.

Before you go thinking I am trying to preach this as the best way to go, let me say this. I have a triangulated 4 link on my Blazer. It is being converted to a parallel 4 link as we speak. In "my" opinion, a parallel 4 link is the "best" way to go for many reasons. I don't think it's the "only" way to go though.

If your main goal is to get lower, a 2 link set up like you posted will do just fine. I'm just not sure how much cheaper it is over a parallel 4 link...
Old 11-15-2003, 01:26 AM   #57
Slammed '87

Talking

OHHH so N2TRUX, what you are trying to say is you wanna sell me your Cheyenne REAL cheap for x-mas???? WHOOHOO hehehe, .... Dude that set up is sooooooo super clean, damn i want that truck!!! Yeah it is what i have seen around here lots!, but i do understand what you say bout wheel hop. About the money thing, for me, yeah it's an object, but, when it comes to my baby, no. Like i said b4, i want my ride to be SWEET, just like everybody else, but wanna do it right. I just thought if the 2 link was kool, then i could build one super easy. (even though that may seem cheap), i have built my custom step notch and step notch cover on my own, and that is sorta why i wanted to go with the 2 link. EVERYONE does 4 links, i just thought i would be different and do a 2 link. Plus i like the look of em. In one of "Truckin's" mag's there was a SUPER nice 88 + GM with hydros, instead of bag's, and 17's, man i love that ride!!! He was just being somewhat different, and that's what i wanna do!

HEY QUESTION FOR EVERYONE----> Can i post piks of rides outta truckin mag's, without going to jail??? Is there any copyright laws about that? ...

neway, thanks N2TRUX, and every1 else!
Slammed '87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:32 AM   #58
Slammed '87

Hey N2TRUX, now that i look closer, are those 2" drop shakles? That would put you @ about an 11" drop (approx) in the rear, which is close to what i have. Just trying to pikture what 20's would like like on mine!
Old 11-15-2003, 01:43 AM   #59
Slammed '87

oh yeah (sorry guys) N2TRUX...BTW, one of the guys here in Calagry who owns one of the "main" custom shops runs the EXACT same set up as you. He is known for doing thing's the "right way", and is super picky about his workmanship. So yeah, just had to put that in, cheers!
Old 11-15-2003, 04:48 AM   #60
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
As far as posting pics from Truckin' mag, I personly dont see a problem with it. You arent selling the picture, are you? From what I gather, you are using the pic for referance, right? Members do it all the time from StreetTrucks mag and a few others. N2truks has about the same setup I do on my 94. Im using the Bell Tech load assist in the rear however. Not so much for lift or drop, but to ease the bouncy ride. Iam also running the Edlebrock IAS shocks on all 4 corners. Im running a static drop, and it rides and handles really nice. My 67 is bagged on all 4 corners, but Im thinking about doing a 4 link for the rear.(might put a 9" out back.)
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 12:18 PM   #61
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by Slammed '87
Hey N2TRUX, now that i look closer, are those 2" drop shakles? That would put you @ about an 11" drop (approx) in the rear....
Is that what it calculates out to be? Everyone asks me how much drop it is, and I never feel like I have the right answer.

What you don't see in the pics are the 2" blocks. We put them on later, after we decided it needed just a bit more in the rear. When it's aired out now it still has a small amount of rake. I would like a little more rake, but then I would have to rework the front for that.

Here it is layed out with the blocks on-
Old 11-15-2003, 01:38 PM   #62
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Do you have any side shots, Ken?
Old 11-15-2003, 02:21 PM   #63
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Let me see. This is out of focus, and not sitting very well. I need to get it on level ground and get a good side shot....
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2003, 03:14 PM   #64
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Hmm.....it's lower than I thought.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:47 PM   #65
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

fiveeightchevy:
Quote:
That's the way every other 2 link is setup so they can get a 2:1 ration for more lift. SSC, Ekstensive, IF and all the others put it closer to the front for the lift.

yeah, i had noticed that about most of the 2 links out there. i guess people like lots of lift.......to each his own! AS long as there are custom trucks out there, the world is a good place....

ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:43 AM   #66
lost wages

http://forum.sportruck.com/showpost....&sb=#Post60714

here is a link to a 2 link dicussion on sport truck.com, not trying to relight the fire or anything just thought it would give you some more opinions both pro and con.
lost wages is offline   Reply With Quote