The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #801
swamp rat

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Woops! double post, sorry.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #802
SamsAutoParts73-87

That is really nice work, been following along for a while and I have learned a lot! Thanks for posting all of the details!

-Sam
1981 Chevy K30 350/Th400/NP205
1986 Chevy K30 CUCV 6.2L/TH400/NP208
SamsAutoParts73-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #803
Xeen

That bedside came out better than I ever imagined it could, looking at all three sections it just didn't look like it could be lined up correctly and somehow you managed it, my mind is officially blown.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #804
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I was gonna try to sneak over there Sat, wound up running late. Me sad. Looks great, let the bodywork and primer tutorials...begin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very clean work on the bed. Looks like the seams are falling right into place. Keep up the good work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsAutoParts73-87 View Post
That is really nice work, been following along for a while and I have learned a lot! Thanks for posting all of the details!
-Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
That bedside came out better than I ever imagined it could, looking at all three sections it just didn't look like it could be lined up correctly and somehow you managed it, my mind is officially blown.
Thanks for following along, everyone. Bodywork is not too far off (if spring will ever get here) but I have three more significant metal projects to go before that.
1) Integrate the fuel door into the bed.
2) Rework the hood to add the raised feature.
3) Build Porterbuilt style panels to cover the gas tank area behind the seats.
So I'm not quite finished eating metal dust yet.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #805
jeh

Anxious to see more Vic. I just want you to know I look forward every evening when I get off work to check the forum and see what you have accomplished every day.
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #806
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Anxious to see more Vic. I just want you to know I look forward every evening when I get off work to check the forum and see what you have accomplished every day.
Thanks, Jason. Of all days, no post yesterday. Got roped into moving furniture for my nephew ...which I'm paying for today.

I've been doing some grinding and decided it would be easier to remount the bedside. Plus I needed to get the square tubing and angle iron off the bed rail so I could weld the last little bit on the corner. I tapped a small copper wedge into the gap to help keep it from drawing when welding. Then after the weld cooled, I removed the wedge and re-clamped a piece of square tube in behind the last of the gap with a thin strip of copper sandwiched in so I wouldn't end up with the tubing welded to the bed rail. Now all that's left is to knock down the rest of the welds and shrink/dolly the whoop-dee-doo's. Then it will be on to the fuel door.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #807
Vic1947

With all the grinding I've been doing, I thought I'd pass along a trick I learned many years ago from a fat (and very funny) chassis builder named Vic Custer. [Yeah, another Vic ...what were the chances?] Anyway, he extended the life of sanding discs by trimming off the edges with scissors or snips. I use the yellow handled straight snips because that's all those useless pieces of crap are good for. You don't need to go around in a circle. In fact, it does better if you cut a small amount off the rim and end up with a 6, 7, 8 or ?? sided shape. Doesn't have to be perfect because, as you use it, it will form a new circular edge.

On 2" discs, I usually trim them at least twice before throwing them away. The one in the photos below has been done once already. As they get smaller I switch to the backup angle grinder setup with a pad for 1.5" discs. You'll be surprised at how well the discs work after trimming them.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #808
knomadd

Nice to see another creative thinker. I've done that since I first started using those discs about 12 years ago. It seems like a waste if you don't trim them. All that good sanding material left in the middle...

Nice work on the bed side. I'm always impressed by your work and pictures/explanation.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #809
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Thanks, Jason. Of all days, no post yesterday. Got roped into moving furniture for my nephew ...which I'm paying for today.

I've been doing some grinding and decided it would be easier to remount the bedside. Plus I needed to get the square tubing and angle iron off the bed rail so I could weld the last little bit on the corner. I tapped a small copper wedge into the gap to help keep it from drawing when welding. Then after the weld cooled, I removed the wedge and re-clamped a piece of square tube in behind the last of the gap with a thin strip of copper sandwiched in so I wouldn't end up with the tubing welded to the bed rail. Now all that's left is to knock down the rest of the welds and shrink/dolly the whoop-dee-doo's. Then it will be on to the fuel door.
Hey looks like we have the same filler, i cut the hole in the bedside today but need to work the bed more before welding it in, i'm sure you'll probably beat me to that anyway! Interested to see what you do in matching the conture to the bed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=218

As always your doing some great work!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #810
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Vic,
It was good to finally get to meet you and your wife yesterday! I am in Awe over your craftsmanship and the work you have done to your build!! after seeing that Ford in your garage, one would have to ask themselves, which project should I finish first? that Ford just cries out to get finished.....

I've allways been a Chevy Man, having Owned perhaps Eight Camaros and One Firebird Formula, and one 72' Chevelle......but that Ford looks bad ass!

I fit the template for the door on last night, and as I suspected, the rocker panel is too high, not to mention, I have to pull the rear of the cab forward by 3/8" so, you know what I'll be doing tomorrow I am so glad the passenger side is spot on!!!! well, I have to get to work, Thanks again for letting me bend your Ears!!!! Have a great Day!
Ben

p.s. here's a few pictures showing the areas I have to contend with....
Attached Images

Last edited by snipescastle2; 03-13-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: adding
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #811
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
Vic,
It was good to finally get to meet you and your wife yesterday!
I fit the template for the door on last night, and as I suspected, the rocker panel is too high, not to mention, I have to pull the rear of the cab forward by 3/8" so, you know what I'll be doing tomorrow I am so glad the passenger side is spot on!!!! well, I have to get to work, Thanks again for letting me bend your Ears!!!! Have a great Day!
Ben
p.s. here's a few pictures showing the areas I have to contend with....
Ben, it was nice to meet you as well. Every time I get to fretting over something I need to fix thanks to a PO, a post comes along that reminds me I ain't got it bad at all! You've got the right approach, though. Don't move on until it's as good as you can get it. Vic
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #812
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Hey looks like we have the same filler, i cut the hole in the bedside today but need to work the bed more before welding it in, i'm sure you'll probably beat me to that anyway! Interested to see what you do in matching the conture to the bed.
As always your doing some great work!
Hey Mike,
Yeah, I took some measurements yesterday, but trying to map a location out of thin air always makes me nervous. The filler assembly came off a Blazer I hacked up on a field trip to the salvage yard with Boppa, (Low Elco's pops). I think the curve is about right, but hopefully some well placed butt clamps will remove any irregularities. We'll see soon enough.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #813
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Nice to see another creative thinker. I've done that since I first started using those discs about 12 years ago. It seems like a waste if you don't trim them. All that good sanding material left in the middle...

Nice work on the bed side. I'm always impressed by your work and pictures/explanation.
Thanks, Duane. Sometime when we're in Houston, I need to stop by and see your truck and that awesome GTO.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #814
swamp rat

Quote:
Hey Mike,
Yeah, I took some measurements yesterday, but trying to map a location out of thin air always makes me nervous. The filler assembly came off a Blazer I hacked up on a field trip to the salvage yard with Boppa, (Low Elco's pops). I think the curve is about right, but hopefully some well placed butt clamps will remove any irregularities. We'll see soon enough.
I think on mine i'm going to have to cut the tube down and re-weld it, i wanted my door in line with the marker light..

Every body guy i talked to said to stay away from sharp corners, most said if you have a square door then cut the filler square then radius the corners, if the door is round then cut the flange round, just passing along, i'm sure you have it covered tho cause your work has been outstanding.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #815
Vic1947

Quote:
I think on mine i'm going to have to cut the tube down and re-weld it, i wanted my door in line with the marker light...
I didn't want mine up quite that far as I'm trying to minimize the amount it protrudes past the inner panel and into the floor. I'll build a rounded cover that follows the angle of the filler tube and encloses it all. I've seen rectangular boxes used as covers, but I think a smoothie looks better.

Quote:
Every body guy i talked to said to stay away from sharp corners, most said if you have a square door then cut the filler square then radius the corners, if the door is round then cut the flange round, just passing along, i'm sure you have it covered tho cause your work has been outstanding.
Don't know about that but it's too late anyway. I've already windowed the bedside. I kept the straight edges to make it easier to match up with the body line. Although I could have radiused the corners a bit, I guess. Having straight gaps will also make it easier to fit the butt clamps wherever needed. You can see from the photos below that there's a small curve that needs to come out of the filler panel. Several well placed clamps should make it all play nice together.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #816
jeh

Looks good Vic
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #817
knomadd

Quote:
Thanks, Duane. Sometime when we're in Houston, I need to stop by and see your truck and that awesome GTO.
Anytime you want, just drop me a line a couple days before so I know you'll be in town.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #818
swamp rat

Quote:
I didn't want mine up quite that far as I'm trying to minimize the amount it protrudes past the inner panel and into the floor. I'll build a rounded cover that follows the angle of the filler tube and encloses it all. I've seen rectangular boxes used as covers, but I think a smoothie looks better.

Don't know about that but it's too late anyway. I've already windowed the bedside. I kept the straight edges to make it easier to match up with the body line. Although I could have radiused the corners a bit, I guess. Having straight gaps will also make it easier to fit the butt clamps wherever needed. You can see from the photos below that there's a small curve that needs to come out of the filler panel. Several well placed clamps should make it all play nice together.

LOL! I figured you'd be blasting right along!

I guess if i didn't have a marker light i would have made mine lower too as the protrusion into the bed area is a concern, i want to keep the cover no more in width than the rear opening if that makes sense 2-3".

I have seen the doors in different places too and they just didn't look right to me when there is a marker light there, In your case you don't have to worry about that.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #819
Low Elco

Looks gooood to me!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #820
sduckworth13

The bedside and fuel door is looking great Vic! I really like your idea of not going so far up with the fuel filler neck so that you don't have to box it. I'm sure it would look fine, but I really like your idea because I've never seen it done that way before.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #821
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
The bedside and fuel door is looking great Vic! I really like your idea of not going so far up with the fuel filler neck so that you don't have to box it. I'm sure it would look fine, but I really like your idea because I've never seen it done that way before.
Thanks, Scott. I think I have a piece of scrap mandrel bent tubing that will give me a start ...just need to dust the box off and get it down from the shelf.

Finished fitting up the outer fuel door panel today and welded it in. I finally got to use the Dent Fix adjustable butt clamps I bought some time back. They're supposed to be good for uneven surfaces or mating different thickness materials. Worked pretty good. For all the welding I've done on that rear section, it ended up fairly flat. I have a couple of very shallow depressions I think I can move up with welded pins. At least close enough for Bondo.

Next step is to make some measurements on the floor for the filler tube. Then I'll remove the bedside (again) and do any final grinding where the plastic housing comes thru the inner panel.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #822
sduckworth13

Nice work Vic, the whole bedside looks great.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #823
swamp rat

Are you sure you cant come over and work on my bedside and gas door? LOL! It does look great!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #824
Vic1947

Quote:
Are you sure you cant come over and work on my bedside and gas door? LOL! It does look great!
Well I would, you know, if it wasn't a three day drive ...one way!

Not so much visible progress today. Spent a fair amount of time working the high and low spots on the bedside. The body line below the fuel door had sunk in somewhat and was resisting my efforts to straighten it out. Welded some draw pins along the edge and dusted off Big Bertha. With Kathy holding backup and me hammering away, it finally surrendered.

Removed the bedside from the floor and put it back up on stands so I could start working on the cover for the filler tube assembly.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #825
swamp rat

Wow, did you look at my thread today? I have the reverse problem getting a high spot to go in, any ideas?

I got that puller gun today to start working the smaller creases.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's