The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
mikebte

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Finally got around to working on a few things. Mocked up the steering column power steering box. Welded a new bottom on the battery tray and checked for fitment.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
MARTINSR

My five minute a day plan WORKS! I literally was planning on five minutes tops, I was beat, just five minutes. Just planning on cutting the rust area out of the inner panel and leave it at that. Well, I got moving and just couldn't stop. Got the piece cut out, the piece I made last night welded in, sand blasted, primed, and the outer panel fabricated and ready to be welded in tomorrow. WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My five minute a day plan WORKS! I literally was planning on five minutes tops, I was beat, just five minutes. Just planning on cutting the rust area out of the inner panel and leave it at that. Well, I got moving and just couldn't stop. Got the piece cut out, the piece I made last night welded in, sand blasted, primed, and the outer panel fabricated and ready to be welded in tomorrow. WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian
Well understood, All to often 5 minutes turns into Job complete. Hey, how is this to ever get done at 5 minutes at a time.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
MARTINSR

My point is with the five minute a day plan is it WILL get done a lot faster than if you did nothing right? Even only five minutes a day is a LOT better than nothing.

I finished my Gran Sport after using this five minute a day plan after it had sat for years. In one year I got it done. Many many days only going out to arrange bolts or to install one emblem, but forcing myself into that garage for those five minutes even when I was dead tired after work.

It's just amazing as you said how often you end up after planning on NOT spending much time, you get something done!

It's a lot like my evening walk, I started 4 years ago after a bad blood test in a physical to get out and walk as the doctor said. Every other night I walk out my front door for a 2-6 mile walk. Soooooo often I am beat and I think this is going to be a short one. I am planning on where I am going to turn around, but damn it I get out there. WAY more often than not I end up going much further, it's amazing how magical it is to just get out there, get out and touch that truck, it gets you fired up!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
mikebte

Every time I walk out I have to do something, guess that happens. Finished my 6 lug disk brake install, sized up the Pypes for welding and installation. More Exhaust work to come
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Black_Sheep

Picked up my carpet from the carpet binder and dropped off my box crossmembers, step braces and a few other parts at the powder coater.

I'm really pleased with the workmanship and the guy did a great job matching the green. Shown is the main carpet, firewall hump cover and floor mat...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Picked up my carpet from the carpet binder and dropped off my box crossmembers, step braces and a few other parts at the powder coater.

I'm really pleased with the workmanship and the guy did a great job matching the green. Shown is the main carpet, firewall hump cover and floor mat...
OMG I can't wait until I am at that point in this build! WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

Old 05-31-2018, 11:25 PM   #8
Black_Sheep

Quote:
OMG I can't wait until I am at that point in this build! WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
The truck is not ready for carpet yet, but when the time comes, the carpet will be ready...
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #9
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
The truck is not ready for carpet yet, but when the time comes, the carpet will be ready...
I have to assume you are further than me though, I am not even close!

Had to wait for half time in the NBA finals with the score tied to get out to the garage and weld in the outer patch. WHOOO HOOO, I got it welded in and came back in to watch the Warriors win! Kinda funny using a torch to weld it on then grabbing the MIG to do the plug welds. There are young guys at the shop I work at using a MIG every day who can't even fire the torch up, they don't have a clue having they have never used one! It's so funny using these two totally different tools to weld on this.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
mikebte

Figured I would try a set of Tru Ram exhaust manifolds, they don't clear my steering. Bummer, was really hoping they would clear. Back to the ram horns.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikebte; 06-01-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
evilokc

drove into cars and coffee. got a lot of attention. I think people relate to an in progress vehicle. even had a couple of guys ask questions about and tell me they cant wait for theirs to run and drive. then took it out to breakfast and a plant nursery. i was siting there talking with a guy while about to leave. he was complimented the rattle and thanked him and said "alright look away. if your looking it wont start" of course the rattle fired right to life. happy day of trucking.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
MiraclePieCo

Spent 2 hours hammering out this severely mangled AD panel truck rear splash shield. Now needs rust spots patched.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 06-03-2018 at 01:52 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #13
DeeJayNOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
drove into cars and coffee. got a lot of attention. I think people relate to an in progress vehicle. even had a couple of guys ask questions about and tell me they cant wait for theirs to run and drive. then took it out to breakfast and a plant nursery. i was siting there talking with a guy while about to leave. he was complimented the rattle and thanked him and said "alright look away. if your looking it wont start" of course the rattle fired right to life. happy day of trucking.
Evil OKC what cars and coffee you went to. I'm going to try and make it a habit to go to Fastino's on Juan Tabo every Wednesday. Wife and kid both love the pizza.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #14
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayNOLA View Post
Evil OKC what cars and coffee you went to. I'm going to try and make it a habit to go to Fastino's on Juan Tabo every Wednesday. Wife and kid both love the pizza.
im not in Albuquerque anymore. im in Oklahoma city.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
Black_Sheep

Got a bunch of small parts ready for paint and started sanding louvers for the 3rd or 4th time...
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #16
55cruiser

[ATTACH]
Had a great day at Fleetwood Country Cruizin 2018 many TF and AD trucks.
Great to meet some of the people with trucks, Many cars trucks some where near 4500 vehicles for 2 day show. Excellent location and grounds for the show
Attached Images

55cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
evilokc

changed out my valve cover breather for a dual breather set up.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #18
martin_95037

Move 1100+ gallons of water.
martin_95037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #19
MARTINSR

Got the cab out of the garage for some sand blasting today. With my little compressor it's pretty much a joke but I did get some cleaned up. Out in the sun I also found 374 of welds I need to complete. This was NOT fun work out there in the sun blowing sand all over me, yeow, done for the day. I may feel like getting out there for a few minutes out there tonight but I doubt it.

I got out some "magic coating" rust stuff that I have and I will be using it, may epoxy primer over it but I will be getting out there at the very least tomorrow and start welding up stuff. I forgot I have to put some nuts on the back side ends of the hinge brackets on the cab too. So more work than I planned, I thought I was done with the cab but that was all but a fantasy. Basically I headed out for lunch with Sandra Bullock and ended up being stuck in an elevator with Roseann O'Donnell.

Another week working on this baby before any epoxy can be sprayed.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #20
evilokc

Quote:
Got the cab out of the garage for some sand blasting today. With my little compressor it's pretty much a joke but I did get some cleaned up. Out in the sun I also found 374 of welds I need to complete. This was NOT fun work out there in the sun blowing sand all over me, yeow, done for the day. I may feel like getting out there for a few minutes out there tonight but I doubt it.

I got out some "magic coating" rust stuff that I have and I will be using it, may epoxy primer over it but I will be getting out there at the very least tomorrow and start welding up stuff. I forgot I have to put some nuts on the back side ends of the hinge brackets on the cab too. So more work than I planned, I thought I was done with the cab but that was all but a fantasy. Basically I headed out for lunch with Sandra Bullock and ended up being stuck in an elevator with Roseann O'Donnell.

Another week working on this baby before any epoxy can be sprayed.

Brian
cab looks great. do mine next
Old 06-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #21
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
cab looks great. do mine next
Well, I started this cab in 1992, so I hope you aren't in a hurry.

Brian

Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #22
evilokc

Quote:
Well, I started this cab in 1992, so I hope you aren't in a hurry.

Brian
I bought mine in 93 and its just getting to be truly road worthy so im right there with ya. what motor do you plan to run? if I were to do it again I think I would try and hop up a 250 inline. maybe even add a blower or turbo.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #23
pvienneau

Painted/Rewired/removed rust and replaced the left rear blinker with the stainless steel conduit kit. Looks great. I will do the right next weekend. I also used the tech tip from Stovebolt to get it to sit right. https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/e...ght%20bracket/

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #24
bennylava

I looked at it, thought about all the stuff I need to do to it, and came inside and started watching youtube videos instead.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #25
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
I looked at it, thought about all the stuff I need to do to it, and came inside and started watching youtube videos instead.
been there SO many times.