The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #1401
Slow Build

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I reconnected my tail lights. PO had trailer lights mounted on the frame. There was no wiring on the bed so I bought a trailer light wiring kit so I would have properly color coded wires and I can unplug them when I need to take off the bed later. I did have to run separate ground wires from the frame to the tail light buckets to get them to work.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #1402
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Finally managed to work in some garage time.... nasty rainy day. Finished instal on the steering column, new steering wheel mounted and tossed the bed back on.

The new steering wheel has about 3 inches less dish than the previous one. I can now move the seat forward and recline the seat a bit. Much better. I have always liked wood grip wheels, this one turned out to be a good deal too. It's 15 inch in diameter, has finger grips on the back and the wood is large.. thus giving a good grip. Horn button is also much nicer than the standard Grant mushroom type.

I also relocated the front license plate and formed it to fit the bumper.
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-12-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #1403
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Not today, but over my weekend (thursday and Friday) I managed to get quite a bit accomplished. On my truck I got the cab almost entirely stripped down. The only things left are the windsheild and rear window, as well as the cab bolts. Once I figure out how I'm gonna get the glass out without making a mess, the cab will be ready to come out.

Friday I got my news parts truck (1980 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd) hauled the hour and a half back to my house for disassembly. After the haul I helped a friend work on his 55 Ford pickup a bit. Then to cap it all off I got my first welding lesson! I know a lot of people have been doing this their whole life and are probably thinking "big deal", but to me it is. Growing up, no one in my family was into cars as anything more than a way to get from one place to another. Most of my family would make fun of me working on cars, and my dad was a reliable source for discouragement. I met some people that taught me a lot, and I have learned a lot on my own through trial and error, then a 12 year run as a mechanic. Through all of this I really wanting to learn welding, but never had the opportunity. The friends that would teach me didn't have the equipment, and I could never afford the community college classes. So finally last night in a junkyard in Reno Nv., I got to run my first bead. Did some practice beads on a scrap piece of 1/4" sheet metal, then got to weld together one of the brackets for my bubby's transmission cross member. I was so excited about the welding i forgot to take any pictures, but I think my buddy may have gotten 1 or 2. I'll have to check with him when I get off work. The rest of the pictures I will get uploaded from my cell phone once I get home tonight. Good weekend though.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #1404
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post

It's 15 inch in diameter, has finger grips on the back and the wood is large.. thus giving a good grip.
As much as I enjoy a Covico steering wheel, lack of finger grooves is disappointing. I like the improved grip of a wheel with notches. When your truck is finished will it remain white, or do you have another color in mind?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #1405
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

It's a bit ironic Mark that you would ask what color I plan to paint my truck. Of all the trucks on this website, your semi-gloss black GMC has been my favorite.

My truck came from the factory dark blue, that doesn't do much for me. I must say that I like the two tone look, with the white cab roof and the chrome side trim openings painted white.

I also am a huge fan of a tan/gold colored factory stock colored truck. Re-sale red is also high on my list.

Bottom line.... I don't know. At this point I am just focused on getting my fabrication items finalized.

But seeing how the place I work at is going out of business by the end of the year, and my truck has always been planned as a "long term project" I am wondering if it will ever really get paint. At this point the truck is a therapy tool. When work and life get to be too much, the truck provides a place to get back to the basics, a place for a fella to "get his mind right".

I have even thought about stripping it to bare metal and letting it "become one with nature". Since I live in the high plains, an arid almost desert climate, and my truck is nearly always parked inside out of the elements, this is a workable plan.

I bought this truck to be a work in progress, a project where I would do everything myself. I am trying to stay the course. So far, so good.

Thanks for asking, Mark. Not sure I answered your question.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-12-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #1406
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer1979 View Post
Not today, but over my weekend (thursday and Friday) I managed to get quite a bit accomplished. On my truck I got the cab almost entirely stripped down. The only things left are the windsheild and rear window, as well as the cab bolts. Once I figure out how I'm gonna get the glass out without making a mess, the cab will be ready to come out.

Friday I got my news parts truck (1980 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd) hauled the hour and a half back to my house for disassembly. After the haul I helped a friend work on his 55 Ford pickup a bit. Then to cap it all off I got my first welding lesson! I know a lot of people have been doing this their whole life and are probably thinking "big deal", but to me it is. Growing up, no one in my family was into cars as anything more than a way to get from one place to another. Most of my family would make fun of me working on cars, and my dad was a reliable source for discouragement. I met some people that taught me a lot, and I have learned a lot on my own through trial and error, then a 12 year run as a mechanic. Through all of this I really wanting to learn welding, but never had the opportunity. The friends that would teach me didn't have the equipment, and I could never afford the community college classes. So finally last night in a junkyard in Reno Nv., I got to run my first bead. Did some practice beads on a scrap piece of 1/4" sheet metal, then got to weld together one of the brackets for my bubby's transmission cross member. I was so excited about the welding i forgot to take any pictures, but I think my buddy may have gotten 1 or 2. I'll have to check with him when I get off work. The rest of the pictures I will get uploaded from my cell phone once I get home tonight. Good weekend though.

Thats a cool story, fryer!!! I am a self taught welder and do not attempt any thing dangerously structural, however it is nice to be able to fix sheetmetal and build things I need. Welding can be frustrating at times, but it gets easier as your experience grows.......keep at it.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #1407
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
At this point the truck is a therapy tool. When work and life get to be too much, the truck provides a place to get back to the basics, a place for a fella to "get his mind right".
I’ve been following your build and with the Camaro content, I just “assumed” it was going to end up Camaro white. Then for no reason I can think of it dawned on me you might have completely different plans, so I was curious. Thanks for the response. I’m glad to see yours is a therapy tool as well.

After I painted mine black lacquer I began to lose focus and spent too much time trying to make it perfect. The truck ended up spending a lot of time in the garage so it would stay clean, and eventually provided more stress than fun. A sudden end to my career caused an immediate need for a therapeutic diversion, and there was the truck just waiting for some attention. A crappy paint job and a few inexpensive trinkets have provided an absorbing hobby again that has proven very helpful. Now I take my squeeze to work and back most every day, rain or shine, providing justification to spend more time with my truck!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #1408
Malibob

Bought plugs and wires. It is cool as hell how they ran the plug wires through the motor mounts. Now what does dwell do? Who still sells a dwell meter? I am told I need about 30 degrees.

Flickr
Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #1409
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Drove it over to a car show this morning which had a nice turn out with over 150 cars and trucks. There was only one other 60-66. Unfortunately we needed to leave early and didn’t get to meet the owners.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #1410
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Drove it over to a car show this morning which had a nice turn out with over 150 cars and trucks. There was only one other 60-66. Unfortunately we needed to leave early and didn’t get to meet the owners.

Have you had that truck at te XXX in Isaquah?

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #1411
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Negative, I have back problems that keep me from traveling farther than an hour from home. Just curious, has there been one in attendance that looks similar?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #1412
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Got more done on my '63 GMC chassis
put disc brake spindles in,drivers side went smooth but pass side took two attempts,the spring seating just didn't want to co-operate.
Man, it's alot of monkeyin' around when it's only a bare chassis as it doesn't weigh much,thank god for ratchet straps!
motor mounts are next so I can mock up a bare block and trans to see what I need to do for a trans xm.
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #1413
neto

Put the cab back on to check for engine clearance. Looks good so far.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #1414
Malibob

Bought a seat. 88 with maroon vinyl. It sits a little high but I will cut the frame and shorten it.

Flickr
Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #1415
erock805

mached up my bumper..but didnt bolt in tho....

fnn slacker.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #1416
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

sanded down some paint
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #1417
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

here is what I did:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=407262
if anyone has some ideas, that would help
Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #1418
65Gregg

I started on lowering and rebuilding the frontend of my truck Sunday, All I did was remove the swaybar, pull all of the cotter pins and sprayed the nuts and bolts with PB Blaster so that everything would be loose when I break out the tools. Can't wait to get started!!

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #1419
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Negative, I have back problems that keep me from traveling farther than an hour from home. Just curious, has there been one in attendance that looks similar?
Yes there has been. It looked familiar to me. I took pics but lost them due to pc problems.

To keep it on topic here's what I got done.
Attached Images

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #1420
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Nice bed!

What did I get done today? NOTHING

Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by fryer1979; 06-15-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #1421
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Well I'm on vacation but the guys painted my truck...

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #1422
willyp

sweet color twiggy
Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #1423
sams60gmc

Today I worked on front tire cut outs. After the frame is Z'd it will fill it out.

1960 GMC short fleet, full frame build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329718
Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #1424
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

got this one pretty much buttoned up for now, lots more to do, but this is about as far as I can get before I have to get some big ticket stuff for the floor and rockers...
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #1425
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Exclamation Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Me and my Dad done alot to my truck over the weekend!
Even made some Custom Exhaust work.
All the pictures are on my Build Thread.

Project: "Full Metal Yellow Jacket" Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321173
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
Closed Thread