The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #1551
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

So, where were we....???

Aaahhh yes, had left El Dorado, headed from Winfield, Kansas.

Got to Herbs ranch in the early evening as we were still using back roads to avoid the dead boredom of bombing along straight motorways.

Pic taken earlier the day, mainly for all the fans of "Big Bang Theory"

Another random image, out of context and sequence, but really good food and value we had one evening on the road (possibly in Texas)

Another one of my traditionally favourite views.... School busses.

We did see one short bus. I liked it.

When we got to Herbs it was unpack, relax and just take in all of his "hoarding" and collecting.

He is a lover of old Americana, and his special interest is Coca Cola items, he showed us a couple of items that I believe could be off the scale for collectibility and rarity, which I will not post up here.

But it was incredibly cool to meet a buddy I have known for years via Garagejournal.com who lives with his wife who tollerates his treasures.

Later Luz came from her classes she had been teaching and served us a traditional dinner that her mum had prepared for their guests. Perfect way to end the evening.

We crashed out and went to sleep as we had probably averaged under 4hrs per night since we left the UK, next morning Luz made us pancakes for breakfast and rather spectacular coffee.

Then we went out to see Herbs little shop.

On an American scale, I would say it is large, in fact, very large..... On a British scale..... Well, just stupidly big.

The new big shed...... It's the second time he has had it built, and enlarged it after having real problems with the first build.

It is deceptive as there is another shop diagonally around the rear too.

The little shop. Home to his Hearse, Beach Buggy, VW Beetle and other treasures was first.

HEAVEN !!!!!

The hearse, currently undergoing restoration. I took him some old Funeral company side plates that would go in the side window as advertising to add to the composition.

There were so many treasures to behold, so again, I guess I got a bit "junk drunk" except nothing Herb has is really junk.

Perfect nest boxes for the Blue Tits that nest at my garage every year, guess I will have to make some. Herb did offer me one, whichnImdeclined due to my ever increasing load of spares and treasures.

These 4 foot high Chickens are made in Mexico and sold in various places, Imwould so love to have one here at home. Just because I can.

No petrol head worth his spanners would say no to this selection and shelving unit, again a treasure Herb would have snagged up at an auction somewhere.

To close this posting out with, in order to keep Volkszone happy with the 10 photo limit...... Per posting.

A real issued number plate/tag.

If you are religious it is interesting having these two messages together.

Herb, like me collects number plates too, and it was interesting recognising South African and English plates I had sent him in the past.

More in a bit.

Time for a coffee
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #1552
mjh1965

Well as Rian was looking at the hearse due to Nicola working at an undertakers , I was interested in the vehicles outside .

Here are some of my pictures

And now for the treasures inside

So another great day was over head junk drunk again with more to come

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #1553
Grizz1963

Some more photos from Herbs place.

Yes, we really enjoyed his collection and the way he viewed all,his toys.

Luz's bug again.

Herbs username is not BugThug for nothing...... You will see a multitude of aircooled treasures surrounding him and Luz on their property.

Lastly..... I may have identified another sleepless nights worth of 1960's metal.

Eventuall we had to get out by midday as we still needed to get down to Oklahoma City. With some detours along the way.

Headed back to the homestead.

Herbs pet lawn mowers.

How cool to have all this stuff and signs...... Hard work and a keen eye and bidding hand.

Fond farewells and photos before we hit the road for Oklahoma and we left Kansas behind.

More soon if you are still with us.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #1554
Grizz1963

Headed down mainly i70 or was it i707 we saw much that made us want to stop, but while driving, I had made contact with Paul "NevEno" and Brandon "White Knuckle Garage who both live in Ada some distance beyond Oklahoma City and Norman, where we had been booked in at Phil Beauchamp "Rock Tonka" for the next couple of nights.

We had met Brandon and Paul at Clem's party and knew we had to meet up with them too, as they were seriously committed Chevy C10 guys.

Along the route yo Oklahoma, we saw interesting sights and crossed some landmarks.

At this point we had driven through 5 states.... Not bad for a little high mileage Roadtrip.

Much roadside art like this exists in the Midwest Bible Belt of America.

Refreshing and of course for us, who see so very few American cars in England, a constant source of amazement.

One final pic tonight for mate Martin........

This put a massive grin on our faces.

Next up.........

A town called ADA.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #1555
flashed

Great pics again ,waiting for some more .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #1556
Grizz1963

So back to "normal" here in St Mary Hoo.

The weatherhad turned when I got back. Rain, wet, chilly, miserable in a word.

I have been trying to upload and write up t eh trip report as well on a daily basis.

Yesterday was spent cutting hedges and shrubs back for winter, so yard time ruled this weekend, and an American car breakfast this morning that lasted till 1.30pm put paid to real garage time, and all I did was polish up my Corvette exhaust tips.

So a bit of a fake, but hopefully if the weather turns next weekend and I can clean up the rear half and diff, then I can get the rust converter on and paint it all. After which the slow process of reassembly and build up can start.

I will try to get another episode of the Road Trip written up tonight before bed time.

Right now I am watching Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves with Nicola (surreptitiously writing up this entry) in order to spend a bit more time with her.

Later dudes.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #1557
Grizz1963

Soooooooo......

Back to the Tuesday afternoon.

We were headed for Ada, just beyond Oklahoma City to see Paul and Brandon and their families.

We were invited to join them for a traditional Chicasaw meal and then for the men to go out to the shop to talk trucks.

For the non-local readers, here is a short description of the Chickasaw Nation. They are pure Native American, and the invitation was an absolute honour for Martin and I, considering they thought us worthy to introduce to their families. In my personal view people often underestimate the value one can put to this sort of invitation. It has created friendships that can last a lifetime and a small insight into traditional family values that are still being maintained.

Shortly before we arrived, this road really had me chuckling. Only in America.

Arriving there, we were all excited about meeting up again. Gifts were exchanged, and the guys had got Martin and I each a 1965 and 1966 Oklahoma number plate for our trucks as display items.
Then we had an awesome dinner, chatted and eventually with heavy bellies went to the garage to chat more trucks but before that, Paul showed us the bed he had made for his daughter, using a small back window glass, after which he had scaled everything down in size to keep the proportions right. Clem had also sent her another T-Shirt which she was super pleased with.

The completed bed, in a bed... With a plaque above the head board with fender emblems representing the 64, 65, 66 year models.

The four of us posed up for a photos with Paul's NevEno plate on display.

I hope Martin has more photos to post up as I could not take much on my phone, bad light etc.

But one of the photos of 3 C10's on the drive.

Paul is building an insane truck that will be a show stopper when done.

Loads of trick mods, and an uncompromising approach to parts he wants, finishes he expects and the final vision means he will succeed.

One of the tricks I really loved is the 22" steel wheels with traditional dog dish hubcaps fitted via his own secret fitting mechanisms.

Compared to regular 15" steelies.

There will also be one of these modern seat combinations, which I massively envy....... I really, Really, REALLY would love one in my truck as they allow for various configurations, under seat storage and also are very supportive, but thinner than the originals,Making for more space in the cab behind the steering wheel.

Our view most of the evening, we were in and out of the shop, all three trucks and time just flew by.

Brandon is helping his son build his first truck as well, and I am sure Paul wil be building another soon for his daughter.

We carried on talking and comparing notes outside till leaving time at 11.00pm when we had to get the 75 miles cross country to Norman, another town outside of Oklahoma City, to go stay with Phil Beauchamp "Rock Tonka" and his son Austin.

We eventually got to them at 01.00am and ended up chatting, starting up trucks etc till 05.00am after sharing a it of Apple Pie Moonshine.

Could this trip get any better?

Last edited by Grizz1963; 11-08-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #1558
mjh1965

Here's one of Brandon's wife rocking the Union Jack flag

MY BUILD THREAD:

Old 11-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #1559
White knuckle Garage

Man I couldn't say more about that night except it was an honor to meet you and Martin. Glad you had a good time
White knuckle Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #1560
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by White knuckle Garage View Post
Man I couldn't say more about that night except it was an honor to meet you and Martin. Glad you had a good time
Like you would not believe mate.

Right, let's see if I can do the next six hours of our U.S. Road trip before I fall asleep.

From Ada, we headed back, cross country for about 75 miles at 11.00pm......

I had an invitation from Phil on www.67-72chevytrucks.com to come and stay with him and his family when we came to do our road trip.

Phil is a man who has once again, worked hard and enjoys his hobbies to the max.

This is his one build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=409469

Driving on back roads in the dark was nerve wracking, and we felt quite guilty as the SatNav estimated time of arrival was near 01.00 in the morning.

We need not have worried.......

When we got there at one in the morning, it was coffee, tea, beer, moonshine etc.....

We started to talk cars, bikes, trucks, toys and travel. Ultimately going to bed at 05.00 after a bit of moonshine tasting.

Full sized play room inside the garage. Phil and Austin insisted we make ourselves at home.

Our room, hard to photograph, but held two double beds

Looking down from our guest suite, which included all the trappings of a 5 star hotel room including full sized jacuzzi

How many spare grilles do you need?

Garage art when grilles and number plates just aren't enough. How cool is that?

While walking around at 03.00 Phil showed s his Suburban...... Note the size of the rear tyres.

450bhp Big Block power motivates them.

And a little 150bhp shot of this blue juice made for an interesting grocery getter.

Phil started it up for us at the time too and demonstrated the electronic cutout valves with some gusto.

Not art..... Deadly serious, and in my book dead cool plate. I absolutely love the American patriotism.

Plate on Austin's daily driver truck. Did I mention before that I love these full size trucks a whole lot.

Eventually at 05.00 we headed back to the garage/shop where our suite was situated and I will leave you with the view at the bottom of the stairs..... Note the height of the lift.

I woke at 08.00 after 3 hrs sleep and went to investigate a bit further.....

More later.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #1561
Ta2Don

Very Cool Mate!!! What a road trip!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #1562
flashed

Wow ,what a nice shop ,I could live there ,keep it coming .
Old 11-10-2015, 01:12 AM   #1563
RockTonka

It was an honor to be able to share in your and Martin's adventure!

You both have enriched our lives and provided thought-provoking insight into this truly global passion we all share of all things mechanical.

My son and I are amazed at the dedication and persistence you both have to accomplish all you do...not just building your trucks, impressive in it's own right, but also to make this pilgrimage of sorts to the US.

It's easy to take for granted the freedoms and privileges we have here...you have helped both my son and I appreciate, a bit more, how easy we have it times.

Again, THANKS to both of y'all for letting us be a part of THIS year's adventure...because, there's more to come...right??!!!

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 AM   #1564
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Very Cool Mate!!! What a road trip!!!
Indeed Don. Privileged and blessed.

It was good having Martin who had been to the U.S. Before and knew some conventions of being a tourist, it made my life easier too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Wow ,what a nice shop ,I could live there ,keep it coming .
You and me both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTonka View Post
It was an honor to be able to share in your and Martin's adventure!

You both have enriched our lives and provided thought-provoking insight into this truly global passion we all share of all things mechanical.

My son and I are amazed at the dedication and persistence you both have to accomplish all you do...not just building your trucks, impressive in it's own right, but also to make this pilgrimage of sorts to the US.

It's easy to take for granted the freedoms and privileges we have here...you have helped both my son and I appreciate, a bit more, how easy we have it times.

Again, THANKS to both of y'all for letting us be a part of THIS year's adventure...because, there's more to come...right??!!!

The thanks goes both ways Phil.

Your families generosity went well beyond what would be normal.

Waiting for your Austin to come to Europe now.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #1565
Grizz1963

On the train into London for work today, thank goodness for technology.

Funny how you can screw with your body.

I like to have 6 or more hous sleep a night, however at this point, with so much stuff to do and also jet lag, 6 hrs difference in time zones etc, I had three hours sleep, being awake and outside by 08.00 as it would be 14.00 or 2pm in the UK where my clock was still seated.

I went up to the main house, got the machine to make me a rather spectacular filter coffee, played with the two dogs and then headed back to the garage/shop and also into the "Toy Box"

I will not post pics of everything, as it starts looking a lot like being star struck, but needless to say, if it has wheels or an engine, I love it. And Phil and his family have a few powered toys. Quads, side by sides, motorbikes.... All the trappings of bloody hard work and dedication. And I have absolute respect for that.

In no particular order then......

Rock crawler..... Insane big block motor, and the close up engineering I saw was out of this world.

I just gawped at this monster, the size of its wheels, construction etc maybe I was just awestruck.

Austin is building this extended cab that he designed and created himself, it will be tall, powerful and capable when he is done, of course with a trick V8 motor.

Later when Martin woke up and came out, I asked him to take a couple of pics of me next to Phil's build and the Crawler. I am 6' tall..... For perspective.

I took very few pics of it, as the thread linked in my previous posting, shows it all much better, go take a look.

Another serious motor and attention to detail left my mouth hanging wide open in real life as I have been following the build online.

Look at the chassis, every hole welded, gusseted and finished, loads of dimples in every possible surface.

The cab will find its way back on later after Phil has done with welding up seams, radiusing corners etc. this will be good.

We were going to spend most of the day from lunch time when Austinsurfaced, with him, going to Classic Chevrolet parts of America and various other places in and around Oklahoma City and Norman. So I will post the day out photos in a next posting.

We met Phil for a late lunch at a BBQ restaurant around 3pm.

Then later went out with them and his son in law to dinner.......

The transport could not have put bigger grins on our faces.

Phil's sleeper 66 Chevy Suburban and Austinsurfaced 57 Bel Air.

I did mention this trip kept on ramping up. Though I would not trade one day for another of those spent with various people, we were truly being entertained.

Going to town Phil had Martin riding with him in the Suburban and I went with Austin. With crazy launches at lights and general goofing about in the cars, it became another day to remember.

Saddling up.....

My ride. I absolutely love the colour.

This was my view from the Bel Air, note the size of the tyres.... See them smoke and you know there is a bit of grunt under the hood. Attached to the Big Block and cutouts being opened and then driven in anger, we did not even need feeding to be honest.

Here is one short video of us headed into town.

BOYS TOYS AND BEST TIMES.

CLICK LINK :

The sound and sheer visceral quality of this beast is lost in the muting of the recording but suffice to say, most people will "get it"

Dinner was just awesome and on the way home it was my turn to ride with Phil.

When we got to the Suburban he tossed me the keys and said... "You Drive it"

Of course..... I declined, saying I would not want to risk his toy, what if I bent it or broke it? Phil's typical response was "Its only metal, we can always fix it"

I was really honoured by his offer but declined, as I know that my driving on the right side of the road at 10.00pm in a strange town would run against my "muscle memory" and I asked Phil to drive and let me just enjoy the ride. To which he thankfully agreed. In the UK there is no doubt I would have accepted but the risk for me personally was just too high.

Going home the cutouts were opened and closed, and the throttle buried in anger many a time.

That thing is brutal and it just keeps coming back for more.

Thank you Phil and Austin for another amazing experience.

One of my personal objectives before going on the road trip, was to meet up with Phil's family donkeys.

They are kept as pets or is that pests.... Super friendly, in and out the workshop, inquisitive and loving attention, they were a good alternative to having a dog.

Early morning when I was walking around, looking at the pond (dam) above the house toward the rear, they had come to greet me and then followed me like kids.

Another personal highlight (OK, so I love animals)

Next up when I get time, I will write up our insane day spent with Austin, buying truck parts, going around to see where Murder Nova has his shop, as well as being really touristy on Farmtruck and AZN's place.... They live in a old Fire station. And have cool chit about.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #1566
flashed

What a great video and again great pics ,I love the donkeys .We had a very friendly donkey for a while but a couple of kids killed him deer hunting.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #1567
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
What a great video and again great pics ,I love the donkeys .We had a very friendly donkey for a while but a couple of kids killed him deer hunting.
Always a pity when pets get hurt.

Glad you are still along for the ride.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #1568
Grizz1963

Back to the morning.

Once Phil had got up, he was off to work.

We were left in Austin his sons capable hands.

Offered him the option of Martin driving our rental car for the day and him navigating, but in stead he offered his truck which was both taller and driven by him as he knows his home city so much better.

This hobby is really interesting, in that I was looking for an automatic column shift steering for my truck as I wanted to replace the one fitted, not with something modern and shiny, but rather traditional, that would go with the pin up steering wheel I had bought off mate Darren earlier this year.
While we were with Brandon and Paul the previous evening, they had given us details of a guy called Steve who was a bit of a hoarder, seller if parts and owner of much treasures.
Mentioning what I was looking to Phil and Austin, they mentioned he same guy, both Paul and Austin had previously bought parts from him.

So he was a possible on the spares hunt for the day after phone conversation later in the day.

So we set out for Oklahoma City from Norman and first stop was Classic American Spares where we gawped at all the stock and got a bit of a behind the scenes tour. This trip just kept on giving. Unfortunately, one of their massive industrial storage units had been burned out a couple of days before, damaging Thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stock, all the NOS at that. A neighbouring unit had caught fire and it had spread.

Once we went back indoors, we were quickly and efficiently helped to ligthen our wallets....... I also bought a 1956 Chevy Bel Air hood bid ornament for the truck, yes, I know, but it's my truck, my way and I always wanted one. I bought some other parts that seemed like a good idea while there.

Once we were done there we drove downtown, across town to Steve's yard.

I saw and picked up a couple of chrome dealer badges I liked a lot but no steering column, asking the owner how much, he mad a silly price I did not agree to, at which I handed him them back and politely declined. Austin did try to barter on my behalf. No luck.

This Chevy was in the yard, aged to perfection.

This panel parked outside on the pavement. The model and colour were the same as the first classic I recall falling in love with as a child. Weird that.

Steve said we could come to his other shop to look at the column he had there, so we had some time to kill.

Driving around Oklahoma City, it is obvious this is a petrol heads heaven. Remember "STREET OUTLAWS" is filmed around here too.

So we litterally stopped at random places, and at one shop where I used the restroom, I saw an auto steering column on a shelf and asked about it..... The lovely and helpful mechanic phoned his boss to enquire. A price of $250.00 was returned, we asked about accepting a better offer, and the helpful guy mentioned "Flaming River" at which point I withdrew. The steering wheel wa also slightly bent...... So we walked away.

They had some very cool cars though.

This was the mechanics car.

Some more neat stuff in the shop, unfortunately the light was not cold, with much glare, so I did not manage to get a lot of photos.

Then off to another part of town, where complete Reston, horrors and race cars were built.

The sort of stuff you do see in Street Outlaws.

Loved the look of this simple Chevy truck.

Same shop, different car. I love it when a shop is this skilled and can turn their hands to anything.

The great part was that again, the guys were happy to talk to two (plus Austin) English tourists who love all things cars and bikes.

Another that caught my eye. Simple.

I managed to find is wheel with bearinged spinner...... All 22" of it, destined for a customer car.

When we stopped, this little guy caught my eye as well, but being power, car, junk drunk, it took a while to get back to it.

And finally.... Some art in the making for the owners "Man Cave"
The sort of stuff I love to make as well from scrap bits.

From there we went for another drive to Steves downtown hoard, and were kept waiting, after a while, his son who had been following us incredibly closely at the previous yard (and that scratched my butt big time and made me want to leave anyway) came out to say they were closing and not interested in us or our business, when Austin enquires about why.....?
He came back with the answer from his father (I did not realise till that point that he was) " THIS IS NOT AMERICAN PICKERS, YOU CAN GO AWAY" so basically telling us to efffofff as I was not prepared to pay the $30.00 he wanted for two dealer badges. In my view they were worth no more than $5.00 each on a very good day.
I had previously paid $1.00 for a Cougar badge, and a small dealer badge reading "BY VAN" had cost me $2.00 on one of the secondary roads we had driven on.

I was happy to walk away at that point, but Austin was soooooo fired up about the blatant rudeness, but as I said to him, we were the foreigners, and I was not prepared to pay his silly inflated prices.

I had previously bought some of these badges, and been given some of them
The set of C10 badges on the right need restoring but will be going onto my truck.

So we drove off, maybe a bit enthusiastically.

And went to put gas in the truck, at which point I saw another of my favourite American landmarks. A Water Tower.

Some are beautifully decorated by local towns, this one reminded me of Tintin going to the moon.

After this it was time to drive by and take a look at where some of the guys from STREET OUTLAWS made their homes or had their shops.

Firstly, one of my favourite characters..... Farmtruck.

He and AZN's one place is an old Fire Station he boug and gave the treatment.
Martin took many more photos, so hopefully he will be along to post up a load more.

I loved this rocket, and behind it was a post with the Stars and Stripes flying high.

Dragon lights were real neat and caught my eye, along with all the other stuff. I felt quite guilty invading their privacy, even from the pavement side.

After stopping by there, we drove over to Murder Nova's shop but missed his closing time by minutes, too bad as he has another kick ass ride.

You know the rest of the day's story and dinner and after dinner goofing around.

We eventually got to bed late that night as well, and in the morning Phil cooked us breakfast before heading out to work.

It was left to Austin to see us off, and close the gate behind us as we headed for Route 66 and the back roads of America. Headed for Tulsa where we were staying with Kieth who drives a GMC as a daily.

Weird to see him without his cap and ever present cowboy boots under jeans. Guess a guy needs to relax sometimes.

I have said thank you for the experience a few times,but can only repeat that the hospitality and especially the long conversations about all things of man and beast were incredibly rewarding, and these guys continued to exceed my expectations of the U.S. By 100%

This was truely the trip of a lifetime, the more I think about it.

One more thing...... A video posted up by "Retrolegends" that I liked a whole load.

http://youtu.be/9I51JXpcLwk

Hope you enjoy.

Buy a truck.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #1569
flashed

What a great update that was ,I will be waiting for the next segment.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #1570
mjh1965

Thanks for posting Rian . It's amazing to think we were only half way through the trip at this point . I have a few more pictures to add . I think I could have moved into Phil's garage and lived there . With a pool table , fridge and micro wave oven downstairs and two double beds and jacuzzi bathroom Upstairs .

Another birthday cake

The engine in the Suburban

This was in Steve's yard

These I took later

Back at the ranch

One of Phil's dogs

Just for playing in the mud

We had a great time phil works hard but plays harder he took me around in the new Yamaha quad and all I can say was he knows how to drive it .

MY BUILD THREAD:

Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #1571
flashed

Wow ,what a nice bunch of toys he has in there.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #1572
Ta2Don

Enjoying every minute of living vicariously through these updates...

Cheers Mate!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #1573
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Enjoying every minute of living vicariously through these updates...

Cheers Mate!!!

Thanks Don.

As the road behind us allowed Oklahoma City to fade away in the rear view mirror we knew that the memories would not fade.

Ahead of us Route 66 stretched out toward Tulsa city with many small shops, garage sales we would randomly stop at, and the knowledge that we were doing stuff most people only dream about. All of this laid ahead of us.

One of our first stops had to be at a roadside service station which boasted that it had the largest collection of sodas in the world.

We meandered along the way as Kieth was working, so we were happy not to pressurise him to leave work till it was time.

At one point we found a Harley Davidson museum along the roadside in Miami, Oklahoma.

Lovely stuff, and the owner was so nice to chat to, informed and interested.

I managed to buy a smoking pipe for Nicola's collection and a small ornament

Cool Evil Knievel Pinball machine.

Stuff that caught my eye.

Loved this little Snow bike.

Eventually we got to Tulsa and the first item on the agenda, that had been discussed a year ago with Kieth, was to go out for a decent long ride in one of his new Kenworth trucks.
Wall to wall leather in the cab and sleeping/living compartment.

It was rather special running some miles down the motorway. Obvious that Kieth has been involved in these 18 wheelers and other heavy machinery for most of his life.

Just about to go out, less than 10 minutes after we got there.

This is the spec sheet of the truck.

Kieth also offered me this truck to buy, it comes with a load of spares including a new front clip, motor and some seriously nice Cragars with tyres.

In the end I had to be sensible as I have a truck to rebuild at home.

He also gave Martin a complete front end and grille mounting bracket, as well as offering him a complete grille, which he sadly declined.

He had also offered me a full set of long wheel base chrome trim, which I passed on to Martin, but ultimately the cost of shipping and current logistics meant he had to decline. Did I mention random generosity and kindness before?

After the truck ride and some more drooling around the yard and in the spares shop, you know how it is, always looking for that elusive part that will make your truck that bit better, we went across town to see some of Kieths other treasures and the blue truck he has for sale.
Followed by a rather special dinner and a few beers at Brothers Hooligan restaurant.

From the storage space we went via Chad64Chevy's place to check out his amazing truck build, and to drop of a Cross of St George flag for his garage.

Chad had completely randomly, and unasked offered Martin a pair of bumper irons when he had asked Martin what he still needed.

I have mentioned about people just being to kind and generous, Chad is one of them.

We must have spent an hour taking in all the trick mods he was doing, plus all the joints he had welded up.

Once we said our good byes to him and his family, we went to dinner.

I thought I would post up a few photos of Kieths daily driver GMC on air ride.

After dinner we drove to Kieths home, which was filled with much spectacular stuff, and being a motorcyclist and small time hooligan, I could relate to his riding adventures and the stories of him getting pulled over by police in various places over time when riding.

We also got to see his gun safe open and touch some of the weapons he owns and built himself.

Eventually we went to bed quite late, and like a good host he dropped off choc chip,cookies his wife had brought home.

Another great day.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #1574
mjh1965

I thought I would also post some of my pictures from our road trip
Route 66 museum

MY BUILD THREAD:

Old 11-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #1575
flashed

Where is the Route 66 Museum located ,Kansas ? I want to go there someday ,may drive the 72 Malibu vert.