The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #151
Low Elco

Re: New old guy.

You're a better man than I. I'm a giant cold puss. I'll do what I gotta do, but otherwise, no.

If you just whacked one coil, it should align just fine. Two's a stretch to align, and you'll get tired of the ride in a hurry. One coil and spindles is usually a good compromise for the street. Spindles over this'll really bury it.

Rear u bolts to 80 lb with a torque wrench. They need to stretch. You can't just jam 'em with an impact, ask me how I know. Looks cool!

On your body stuff, you need a mig, stick doesn't cut it, waaay too hot. Check this thread out-

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563833

and this one

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564201

Read 'em good, lots of great info in both threads by EXTREMELY talented cats. There's also metalwork in my s-box thread on my sig, if you wanna see a not so talented cat.

PS- Holy canarsie, don't do what that guy did in the vid without bracing the door opening first! It don't matter for rockers, but if you gut it like a fish, that opening'll expand like a tulip at the first greenup of spring. Tack a chunk of some thing sturdy across there.

Last edited by Low Elco; 02-27-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #152
Old School Low

If one pain pill makes u feel good, two will make u feel twice as good right? (i cut two coils). Its like this: low on money, impatient, in a hurry and I want to make something happen even if its wrong. So, waa laa..ruined one lower bj, they were both thrashed, tires are drasticly cambered, and pretty sure blew small hole in axle housing welding perch on. Then dab welded it closed (is that gonna work?) But..I gotter down didnt I? So Ill scoot down in the seat and lowride nice and easy for couple of weeks until money drops from sky. (this is not my DD) Then I think, junk yard 1/2 ton springs (mine are heavier Heavy Half springs) cut one coil and 2-3 drop spindles, replace lower bj's and get aligned. For rear: Gotta c-notch to make it right. Im lightly on rubber stops now, so remove them, c-notch, shorter shocks (none now) and go back to extended shackle first hole. I know its all sloppy but like the buzzard, patience hell, I wanna kill something. Ill make sure nothings gonna fall off and over time go back to every corner and make it sanitary like normal people do. Body welding will wait and be done right. REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONES INPUT. And my 383 is still where kitchen table should be. Having trouble finding right friend and shop to do it in. Crazy huh? [IMG][/IMG]
Old School Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #153
Sodell

Have you cut off the rear bump stops yet? I think your plan of only one cut coil and drop spindles is the way to go (ha, that's how I did it). That seems to be the proven way to get it lowered and still be streetable.
Did you get a set of shock extenders? I used a new pair of stock 79 Toyota 2WD pickup shocks for the rear, they are a little shorter and fit perfect. Cost a lot less that shocks made short for the C10 too.

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #154
Old School Low

Thanks again, Toyota shocks seem good, hoping Id see that recommendation again, saw it weeks ago but forgot exactly. Havent touched rear rubbers but sawed off fronts to where they are only 1/4in before metal to metal. heaed to autozonee to borrow 1/2drive torque to get my 80lbs at ubolts. Metal is higher on back side.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Old School Low; 02-27-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added words
Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #155
Low Elco

Wasn't intending to offend. I'd heard a couple questions in the mix, thought I'd throw my .o2 in. I understand the do something deal completely. Finished plan sounds good. Toyota shocks sound like a good alt.. Mercury Mountaineer rear shocks also good alternative. STAY AWAY from the cheap blue monroe matics, you may as well not have shocks. The sensa-tracs are a bit more, but work the bomb on dropped vehicles. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #156
Old School Low

No man, dont even know what u mean by offend..keep it coming
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #157
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Good thread here.

I laughed a few pages back. I think that was the first time I've seen a close up photograph of dog poop in all the years I've been here.

On your lowering, I hope you can gain something from my own first hand experience.

I daily drive a 78 model truck myself. It's also a heavy half like yours.

In the rear, I did an axle flip with weld on saddles like you did. But, I'm using stock shackles. I also cut the rear bump stops off the frame. My leaf springs are stock. Before welding...

The rear of the truck rides well. No c notch needed. I do haul stuff with it too. When the bed is loaded with stuff and I hit a railroad track or something similar, it will bump off occasionally. Otherwise, I drive it for weeks at a time everywhere and it never hits a thing. I'm using Belltech lowered shocks from Summit Racing.

My exhaust is ghetto I know. Its stuff that I pieced together from free stuff out from under several junk trucks that were being scrapped.

In the front, I'm using the stock heavy half springs which I cut one coil from and DJM 3 inch drop spindles. My front shocks are just stock Monroe shocks. Cutting only one coil from the spring does not lower it enough to need expensive drop shocks. The added lowering of the drop spindles is "free" in relation to the shock absorbers since drop spindles do not affect shocks at all.

All told, I'm at about a 5/6 drop with my combination. And, the truck rides and drives 100% without compromises. It doesn't hit, rub, or scrape. Alignment was easy since I only cut one coil. The camber only took a couple of shims to adjust back out. I'm pretty particular about suspension stuff on my trucks. I like to keep them such that I could tell my wife to leave her car in the garage and drive my truck 80 miles to work and she wouldn't have any problems or complaints and she wouldn't tear anything up by not driving it carefully.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #158
Old School Low

Did the lower perches end up exactly parallel to the top, stock perches?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #159
Tx Firefighter

Yes. I set them that way when I welded them in place. I do have a very slight vibration from about 10-20 miles per hour though. People who ride with me can't feel it but I can. I'm probably gonna get a pair of shims and play with the pinion angle when the weather warms up. I might have missed a little on my measurement when I welded it. To me its easier to add shims and see if it helps the vibration that it is to try and calculate the angles exactly.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #160
Tx Firefighter

I completely understand that you're married to your tires since they have lots of life left in them and they don't exactly give away new tires anywhere, but I think the 31 inch tall height is the root of your problems. You're having to go excessively low on your suspension to get the low look. In my picture above, I'm running 29 inch tall rear tires and 27.5 fronts. That gives a good bit of lowness compared to your 31s, and I don't have to run a drop shackle or c notch to get there.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #161
Old School Low

Ill scour used tire shops tomorrow, fronts gotta go for sure. I know Im going about it ALL WRONG, but no patience and no money. Like I said, as money comes, Ill keep visiting all four corners till its right. Hey, these oversized LBJ from autozone, dont want hassle of returning them. If Im not lucky and dont need them, with a little 'clearancing' cant they be made to work?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #162
tcastro0706

Here's mine I dropped this weekend. Just the back. It's a 3/4 ton. Has 8 total leaf springs on each side. I pulled 4 on each side. So it left me with the top main leaf two under neath it and the tow spring. This is on stock shackles too.

I'm running 24s though. Tire size 275-30-24
tcastro0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #163
mud.man.rj

Nice stance now.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #164
Old School Low

NICE looking 4 dr. Beautiful wheels.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #165
tcastro0706

Thanks appreciate it
tcastro0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #166
Old School Low

So..no extenders if I use the Toyota shocks?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #167
TheBlueBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I laughed a few pages back. I think that was the first time I've seen a close up photograph of dog poop in all the years I've been here.
I could have gotten a picture of my cat peeing in my newly opened headlight bezels... It's funny now but I still don't trust my cat around car parts anymore.

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #168
Sodell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Low View Post
So..no extenders if I use the Toyota shocks?
nope

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #169
Old School Low

10-4 Sodell
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #170
Old School Low

Yer killin me Blue. Almost feel sorry for all the folks who dont have our exciting lives.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #171
Old School Low

FINALLY..My helpers getting 383 OUT OF MY KITCHEN. In their garage we already got hood off, drained liquids, hoses, PS pump, alternator and radiator before I had to leave. They'll stay on it. They're happy to get the 350 for a 61 Apache build.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #172
Low Elco

Cool! Good luck on the swap. Spend the dough on new motor mount biscuits, they'll usually come apart when you take it apart, but the new motor'll kill 'em regardless. Good idea to change 'em now.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #173
Old School Low

Got em L E. I appreciate your suggestions. This site has influenced me and been correct on many decisions I had to make. (Jake Wade and others didnt yell loud enough though on my cutting 2 coils) That error will cost me about 4 frustrating hrs and $100. Lonnie, thanks for the flexplate/converter and oil prime info last night.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #174
Jake Wade

No problem Kenny, keep us posted!
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #175
Low Elco

Ooh, ooh, what's happened, I gotta know!