The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #151
coops714x4

Re: The Boss Hoss, 72 C/30, 454, DUALLY!

your build is real cool its exactly what im doing but im using a c/20 4x4 and dually adapters on the front I might contact ya about some parts and ideas LOVE the "CAB PICKER" hope you dont mind if i copy your idea
coops714x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #152
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops714x4 View Post
your build is real cool its exactly what im doing but im using a c/20 4x4 and dually adapters on the front I might contact ya about some parts and ideas LOVE the "CAB PICKER" hope you dont mind if i copy your idea
Copy away, It works like a champ.

I will give you a word of caution about using a C/20, the frame is nowhere near strong enough to be used in a dually application, you are going to want to beef it up signifigantly.

Id sugjest sistering a piece of 2x6" box tube inside of your frame rail and then boxing the front and rear.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #153
watahyahknow

some of the newer duallies arent quite as strong as they need to be either
a while back i folowed the build of a wreckertruck , the guy used a heavy duty chassis as the normal frame was bucking up the middle when he had a heavy car in the lift
http://www.duallyscene.com/forums/pr...not-t4112.html
he made a pretty nice truck , too bad he had to sell it in the end

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 03-15-2011 at 09:19 PM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #154
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
some of the newer duallies arent quite as strong as they need to be either
a while back i folowed the build of a wreckertruck , the guy used a heavy duty chassis as the normal frame was bucking up the middle when he had a heavy car in the lift
http://www.duallyscene.com/forums/pr...not-t4112.html
he made a pretty nice truck , too bad he had to sell it in the end
Yeah, he sold it to me, I put a Dynamic 701 on it and use it daily.

I am also the guy who built the wrecker unit that was on it.

Someotherguy is actually living at my place for the next few weeks.

On my truck I am boxing the whole frame and filling all of the unessasary holes, it will be plenty stout.

Last edited by MrBeast; 03-15-2011 at 09:34 PM.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #155
Drummerboy

Nice!
Drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #156
coops714x4

thanks for the advise Mr.Beast I do plan on boxing the frame its gonna be a daily drive the most i will do with it is pull a small gooseneck and my boat just like the look of a dually i dont plan on working it any harder than i would a 3/4 ton
Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #157
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops714x4 View Post
thanks for the advise Mr.Beast I do plan on boxing the frame its gonna be a daily drive the most i will do with it is pull a small gooseneck and my boat just like the look of a dually i dont plan on working it any harder than i would a 3/4 ton
You may not plan on it... but these things have a way of happening, trust me on this. I bought a 1/2 ton K5 blazer a couple of years ago as a toy, wound up with a 454 in it, towing a 25' travel trailer, and an equipment trailer all over place. It was a bit much for the blazer, never though id be doing it with it.

I would say the best thing you can do is while its apart beef up anything that might break, because it is nice to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #158
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

So got some work done on the truck this weekend.

Friday night I pulled the truck outside and sand blasted the front frame clean...

100lb bag of black beauty right there, but it worked great, at a cost of 14.00 I think it was money well spent.

Next I threw the cab back on, and let me tell you, the cab dolly is now a permanent fixture on my cherry picker, it works extremly well. It is a wee bit occuard with the doors still on the truck, but it still is just about as slick as can be. Sure beats the 4 friends meathod!

I rolled the cummins over, and before long I had it stuffed between the frame rails so I could pull some measurements off of it so as that I can get the motor mounts built.

Hopefully with in the next few days the engine will be in and mounted and the front frame will be boxed in, and I can begin working my way back.

Tonight I was pretty tired so didnt get a lot done, I cut pieces to weld in where the old 2wd suspension used to mount up, there were some large holes that were taking a lot of streingth out of the frame, and I figure since the Cummins weighs about 300 lbs more than the 454 I might want all I can get.

I also trimmed the frame flange next to the steering box so as that that side of the frame can be boxed.

Hows that for a free hand cut with the torch?

anyhow, hopefully I will have more updates tomorrow or tuesday.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #159
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Oh and the new pup was supervising all day (except when I was welding I put him inside)

It is crazy how much Dexter looks like my old dog Palex.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #160
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Tonight I got busy on boxing the frame.

Once I had the first piece tack welded in place I was able to drill the holes for the front shackle bushings.

Then I welded them to a piece of 1" box tube and test fit them, everything ligned up within 1/16 of an inch. A little grinding and it will be less than 1/32"

I am eating some dinner then I will be back out there hard at it, I would really like to have the engine mounts built and have it hanging in the frame tonight, but that is a pretty tall order so we will see.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #161
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Lookin good! The truck and the dog! :P

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #162
watahyahknow

if the wrecking and welding busines ever slows down there work for you as the new chip foose the man is a jack of all trades

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 03-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #163
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Well it is back togeather sitting on all 4 wheels again, this time capable of bearing weight because it now has rear shackle hangers.

I am totally happy, I threw the cab back on, bolted it down for the first time in a long time, then threw the seats in it. I got to hop in and sit behind the wheel, and it was a very very gratifying feeling, I rested my foot up on the clutch and the other on the gas, and it just felt right. The only thing that was missing was the stick shift sticking up out of the floor that will soon be there too.

In my head I immagined what it would be like when the truck is running and driving, how it will sound, how it will ride. How it will feel. It is one of the best feelings I have felt in a long time.

As you can see from the image above I even have the steering hooked up. The truck is definately going to need a cross over steering/hi steer setup, but that will come soon enough.

You can see how tall the ride height is going to be, it is up there a ways, keep in mind that currently these are 3/4 ton springs, and before too long I am going to take them down and have a leaf added and then press new bushings in them, this will help carry the weight of the cummins, and it will keep the truck capable of hauling a heavy load.

Here are a few pics of the weld in process on the shackle hangers.

Above you can see how tight the fit is.

I used plenty of heat and burnt them in doing a quarter of the piece at a time. I got really good penatration on the weld.

Then I welded the rest out, and was able to reassembel the front end.

The next big step is getting the frame where the motor mounts are going to go boxed in and getting the motor mounts cutout and welded in. Hopefully by thursday the truck has an engine sitting in it.

Today I did order the Cummins Bellhousing for my NV4500, it should be here by friday.

Next week I am going to get the input shaft and the bearing retainer, with that I will be good to go.

As well I have come to the decision that I am going to run a Divorced transfer case. Going to build my own kit for it however, and in order to do so I am going to wind up ordering a 32 spline input shaft for it, then I will make the bearing retainer and seal cup.

As well going to have to devise a mounting system for it, I am seriously considering a piece that will bolt into the driver side PTO cover.

Lots of stuff to figure out there yet, but for the time being I am just going to consontrate on the things that will make it run. Hopefully I will be able to fire the engine in another month or so.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #164
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Video Update

Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #165
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

*Great video! About the intake horn, a local friend of mine makes intake horns, he had explained to me why his are better than others(unfortunately for you and me I forgot). Talk to him, he's a real nice guy and does it out of his garage and his work is perfect. Plus you may be able to use the hydroboost!

Good idea with the gussets for the leaf brackets. Maybe machine/plasma the Charger towing logo into em?

**About the gauges, these were posted on the forum a little while ago, a little pricey. (Half way down)

Also for the winch, I personally would use a 16.5, a little more expensive than the 12.5. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

* - http://hardcoordiesel.com/default.aspx

** - http://www.snsclassics.com/new_gauges.html

PS: I'm currently enrolled in welding class and am taking machining classes this summer.

Miss having a truck
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #166
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
*Great video! About the intake horn, a local friend of mine makes intake horns, he had explained to me why his are better than others(unfortunately for you and me I forgot). Talk to him, he's a real nice guy and does it out of his garage and his work is perfect. Plus you may be able to use the hydroboost!
I am going to use the hydraboost one way or another, it is about 6" shorter than the vaccum setup.
Quote:
Good idea with the gussets for the leaf brackets. Maybe machine/plasma the Charger towing logo into em?
Hell no! this truck will never ever be a wrecker or be associated with the towing company, I sold my 85 and put the motor out of it back into one of my wreckers, I am not about to put another personal truck into the company!

This thing is going to pull projects, a welding machine, and a camper around!

Quote:
**About the gauges, these were posted on the forum a little while ago, a little pricey. (Half way down)

Also for the winch, I personally would use a 16.5, a little more expensive than the 12.5. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

* - http://hardcoordiesel.com/default.aspx

** - http://www.snsclassics.com/new_gauges.html

PS: I'm currently enrolled in welding class and am taking machining classes this summer.
Right on man, good skills to know, you can see what im doin with them!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #167
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

More video

Its officially a Cummins truck now, no more 454!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #168
watahyahknow

if the spacing of those 10 bolts is the same as the big rig spacing you can get ready made adapters for them

Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #169
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
if the spacing of those 10 bolts is the same as the big rig spacing you can get ready made adapters for them
It isnt, it is a 10 on 8.5
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #170
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Yay! Cummins! Congrats! I would go with the 3500HD stuff, much stronger. If you check my thread on 3500HD.com I may be able to get the front axle you need...

Miss having a truck
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #171
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Yay! Cummins! Congrats! I would go with the 3500HD stuff, much stronger. If you check my thread on 3500HD.com I may be able to get the front axle you need...
I am on 3500HD.com, the thing is any 3500hd that came as a 4x4 was an aftermarket conversion, most used 8 lug 19.5's instead of converting to a 10 lug pattern.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #172
coops714x4

Man this thing is gonna be a powerhouse cant wait till ya fire it up!! better yet drive it, it oughta pull anything you put behind it. makes mine look like a wimp COOP
Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #173
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I don't really have much to update today, I suposedly have my hands on an intercooler as soon as my buddy in houston can run over and pick it up for me. I mailed him the cash yesterday but it has not shown up yet. As well the guy might have the intercooler tubes, we will see on that one, that would make life a bit easier.

I am pretty excited though all things considered, I keep going out sitting in the truck, its nice to have an old friend coming back togeather, I have been through a lot with this truck.

Tomorrow if im not too tired I am going to get the front clip put back on it and see how everything fits, I am still a bit nervous about the front axle, I can move it around if need be, and I took measurements several times, but I worry it wont be in the right position, allthough it does look right.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #174
watahyahknow

are you still planning on a doghouse behind the cab , you where mentioning it when it was still a gasolinepowered 2 wheeldrive

btw someone told me Little shop of Horror is building some 10 lug 8,5 adapters on their facebook page!
might be worth investigating

Last edited by watahyahknow; 03-25-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #175
Maxxd07

Wow, nice work. I cant believe I missed the "rebirth" of this thread. Running and driving by next weekend?
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote