The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #1951
DetroitDan

Re: How about some pics of 73-91 crew cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
In stock form its a boat anchor? Yeah, I don't know about that.
after I wrote that I figured it would gain some sort of a response. I guess to be fair the newer HO Cummins are pretty darn stout, but as I was looking at his buildup I wasn't thinking about him putting a new motor in it, I was picturing it more along the lines of an older donor truck. Anything pre-01 was a dog in stock form, imo. If I couldn't build it up with twins and a monster fuel system, I'd just as soon leave it with a mild 454.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #1952
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

After having diesel trucks since I was 17, it would be so hard for me to go back to any gas powered truck. That's just my 2 cents. I love big blocks, but they love gas more than I love them, unless they're in a car.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #1953
DetroitDan

my daily driver is a souped up diesel dually, been driving it for ten years and I love it, it's been the best truck I ever owned. Only complaint is not enough power, it's limited by indirect injection and injector pump. But I've done all that can be done to it, bigger turbo, computer, fuel system and pump, so forth. It's now on a par with a stock Duramax, but any modern diesel-with the massive aftermarket available- will put it away easy.

Since I've been wanting an oobs Chevy crewcab to restore for a long time, finally got one and thats how I ended up here. Like new low mileage 454, its a whole new experience again. Drove it tonight, just a little test drive around the neighborhood, and my 5 y/o (future truck builder) commented on how different it sounds and said he likes it.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #1954
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDan View Post
Since I've been wanting an oobs Chevy crewcab to restore for a long time, finally got one and thats how I ended up here. Like new low mileage 454, its a whole new experience again. Drove it tonight, just a little test drive around the neighborhood, and my 5 y/o (future truck builder) commented on how different it sounds and said he likes it.
Very cool. It is hard to beat the rumble of a healthy gas V-8.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #1955
firenuttz
2lo4me/ntlonuf/ntfstnf

Quote:
I can understand the need to move the front diff to accomodate the t-case swap, but why would you use a half ton Ford 44? If you turn up the Cummins I don't know how much faith I'd have in that frontend holding up. And if you don't build the heck out of that Cummins then there's no reason to even bother. A built Cummins is really cool, but stock it's a boat anchor.
iirc the Ford D60 puts the front driveshaft where it belongs, no?
@ detroit, i dont know where you have been but a 24 valve cummins with a programmer set on the fuel saver mode will still turn around 140 + mph, and that frontend will hold it because the ford that it came out of had a 729 hp 460 in it and that truck was only run in 4wd...wide open...all of the time.

however i do see your point as my dad has a 91 12 valve in his 82 chevy, sure its a turd but it is also stock and will still take every bit of abuse that i can throw at it (my dad uses it as a pavement princess and i see mud and proceed to stomp it dry) then hook up to a trailer and pull 4 times its weight at 70 mph comfortably. it is all in the tuning because the cummins in the dodge was an even bigger turd, why you might say, because dodge set them up for pulling and that is it. then the PO decided to crank the fuel screw on the pump all the way in and not touch the air mixture screw which=too much fuel and not enough air

sorry that was a bit of a tangent but the point had to be made

p.s. if you dont think that the early cummins can make power on a budget than you need to come to nevada and see my dads STOCK first gen cummins conversions, they can burn more rubber than the stock big block ever could
02 Silverado cclb duramax~ sas'd "bro" truck with more rust than imagineable...

Last edited by firenuttz; 10-19-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: had to add the extra .02
Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #1956
firenuttz
2lo4me/ntlonuf/ntfstnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieloRidez View Post
Im diggin the tag you have on the front of it!
that plate was on my dads 82 half ton lots of good memories in that truck, i found the plates in the rafters about 2 months ago and he said that i could put them on my truck. i was dancing like this his truck was a single cab but i saw a few pics of singles on here ill try to find some for yalls enjoyment.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #1957
firenuttz
2lo4me/ntlonuf/ntfstnf

Quote:
I'd just as soon leave it with a mild 454.

as suprising as this may seem the truck has a 250 inline 6
Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #1958
dmrecksiek

85 dually i've had for about 7 months im just starting to work on, gonna just lower it pretty low unless I can find a cheap way to bag it, sitting next to it is my 81 k10
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #1959
justpball

^sweet!^

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #1960
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
Is that bonus cab emblem insted of 3+3?
to dmrecksiek

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #1961
dmrecksiek

I dont really know the difference, but these emblems are on it with a silverado 30 also
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #1962
GmtGmt

are you willing to sell both? i have been looking for a very very long time for a set of not broken bonus cab emblems

Edit
woops just saw it was you that i posted to it was intended for firenutterz

BTW very nice truck any more pics i see its a conversion truck cool to see another tra tech truck

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.

Last edited by GmtGmt; 10-19-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #1963
dmrecksiek

ya I would, the only emblems I really like on it are the boss, how are they mounted on there? would they leave holes?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #1964
GmtGmt

cool they are mounted with 2 11mm nuts on the inside beheind the rear speaker

Quote:
Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #1965
bharrison1

heres some
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #1966
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

After seeing all these round light trucks, I might have to sell my suburban front clip and go back with a round light clip.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #1967
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

I need to find another V3500 SRW...I miss mine sooooooo much!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #1968
firenuttz
2lo4me/ntlonuf/ntfstnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
Edit
woops just saw it was you that i posted to it was intended for firenutterz
who with the what now?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #1969
DetroitDan

Well I am surprised to learn a Dana44HD out of a half ton would stand up to any abuse, especially a big block in the mud. Maybe you've built it to make it tough? I've never had a Ford but I have broken numerous 1/2 and 3/4 ton Dana axles and components. Don't really do any wheeling anymore, but even so I won't buy anything but 1 ton now.
Like I said, if you build up (fuel and programmer) the Cummins then they are amazing. What I said was if your not going to mod it, it's not really worth doing. Maybe just as a towrig, but who among us can leave anything alone anyway? Not trying to start a battle by bashing Cummins, but I have to tolerate a lot of it with my alleged "POS" motor. So allow me to try to rephrase this so it's a little less offensive.
12v Cummins stock= bone
24v Cummins stock= kind of a bone
24vHO 01 and up Cummins stock=not a bone
built Cummins of either head design= definitely not a bone.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to talk to about Cummins anyway, because I can't stand the way they sound. V8 gas or diesel sounds better thru some nice pipes.

OK, back to the pics of crewcabs now!

btw, just finished putting the first coat on the passenger side. Looking good all one color again!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #1970
Swany

Here are some pics of mine, this was during the trip back north to Ohio from going down to North Carolina to pick it up. We made a pit stop at Bristol on the way home. All this was done on a Sunday. 8 hours drive there and 8 hours back. Weather was perfect to be driving through some of the most beautiful countryside, made the long trip all worth while.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #1971
Swany

sorry for pic size not sure how to make bigger, pics took on droid phone. any input would be great on how to change size
Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #1972
WillieloRidez

I saw Brandons bagged 77 today in person and looks like a steal!
58 chevrolet 2dr delray
58 chevrolet belair 4dr hardtop
1965 Chevelle big block 4spd
88 crewcab 1/2 ton long bed aka STRETCH Lt1-4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=388445
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #1973
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

From Truckin Mag

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/1...uck/index.html

Miss having a truck
Old 10-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #1974
firenuttz
2lo4me/ntlonuf/ntfstnf

Quote:
Well I am surprised to learn a Dana44HD out of a half ton would stand up to any abuse, especially a big block in the mud. Maybe you've built it to make it tough? I've never had a Ford but I have broken numerous 1/2 and 3/4 ton Dana axles and components. Don't really do any wheeling anymore, but even so I won't buy anything but 1 ton now.
Like I said, if you build up (fuel and programmer) the Cummins then they are amazing. What I said was if your not going to mod it, it's not really worth doing. Maybe just as a towrig, but who among us can leave anything alone anyway? Not trying to start a battle by bashing Cummins, but I have to tolerate a lot of it with my alleged "POS" motor. So allow me to try to rephrase this so it's a little less offensive.
12v Cummins stock= bone
24v Cummins stock= kind of a bone
24vHO 01 and up Cummins stock=not a bone
built Cummins of either head design= definitely not a bone.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to talk to about Cummins anyway, because I can't stand the way they sound. V8 gas or diesel sounds better thru some nice pipes.

OK, back to the pics of crewcabs now!

btw, just finished putting the first coat on the passenger side. Looking good all one color again!
im not taking any offense from this, but where you say that the 12 valve cummins stock is a bone, thats a double edged sword, i have been working on the early model cummins trucks since i was 10 and i too first thought that they were absolute dogs that was until my dads buddy tunned the pump in my dads crew cab. we were getting roughly 12 mpg and only running 13 psi of boost. about 3 seconds of adjustments later we were pushing about 30 psi and after driving it we found out that we were getting around 25-28 mpg. just that tunning gave us in excess of 100 hp in the truck, dodge from the factory couldnt really do this due to emissions and other issues so they detunned the engine. im not trying to drag this on or anything i just cant see adding those upgrades when i could do this and run it fine without as much wear and tear on the stock internals with a bigger turbo and fuel system

and that dana 44 had been built for desert racing (i.e. 100+mph jumps) what they did was they stripped it bare and heated the axle tubes up and slid a chromoly shaft inside of them, when it cooled down the 2 metals basically welded themselves together then they slid chromoly axleshafts back in, there was only about 1/16 of an inch of clearance but it was enough so they drove it into the ground then upgraded what was needed as they went. they eventually wound up flipping the truck about 12 or 13 times and totalled it,they pulled the engine then assumed the axles were junk and gave the rest of the truck to my dad and i. i measured them every which way that i could and they are straight as an arrow so i figured if they can survive that than they will survive a mild cummins build without issues. all that i did to them was put some different wheels and tires on

and congrats on getting some color on your truck, im glad to see that people are still willing to keep these trucks alive
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #1975
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Guys, please read the title of this thread. The word Cummins or diesel, not in it. Thanks.

Miss having a truck
Closed Thread