The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #176
Old School Low

Re: New old guy.

Here's the good news: Kipper, my little 4 mo Jack Russell mix now brings me the daily as soon as it hits the deck....I REALLY CAUSED PROBLEMS cutting 2 coils. It's settled a little more and if I even think about turning right, because of the drastic camber, the outside of the lf tire grinds into the inner fender. It's an UGLY sound and people get out of the way in groc store pkg lot...man. So,,getting motor ready to pull, I decided to take front wheels off and go get new tires. I bought ( they gave me a line of credit or this wouldnt even have happened) two 245/60/15's from a well known (Les Schwab) tire franchise (later I'll get same tire, different size for rear) for[IMG][/IMG] $377.83. They had to get them from their other store 10 mi away so not ready till noon today. Okay?, not really. Mechanic called at 4 yesterday, motor ready to pull, we need those tires and wheels to roll truck out from under hoist (small garage), so..down time because of me. At junk yard yesterday, guy told me where about 15 trucks were lined up (HUGE YARD) and I'll find some springs in the beds or laying around near the trucks. Nope. 3 of them still had springs but not pulled, so maybe today. They have A LOT of good head light bezels etc. I HAVE to get springs, cut ONE COIL, and get alighned. Drop spindles will have to wait. I'll drive it home w new tires and bad camber, about 4 miles, then fix fr end before I can enjoy the 383. New tires are about 28in, man, it's going to be low until spring fix. And I ordered throttle/kick down bracket specific to my Summit 750 carb. It will be here Monday. Also ordered mech oil pres guage.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Old School Low; 03-07-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old School Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #177
Old School Low

Cut one coil from junkyard coils. Hard to tel how it will sit w no motor in it, but looks like camber is WAY better. But I know Ill want 3in dr spindles.Also bought steel wheel for spare. Total $65. Engine bay is power washed, would have liked to spend a couple days making it pretty. Only half rubber left in all three mounts. Sure their 1978 models. Tomorrow trans crossmember mount will be replaced and pan gasket/filter. Then drop er in tues i hope. Had to order throttle/kickdown bracket from Summit specific to my 750 Summit carb. Got here in 2 days. Cleaned and painted some parts. I own the 66 F-100 in background, pretty Nice . Asking $4500ish for MORE GMC MONEY! Thought it might be worth more but just lowered my price.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #178
Old School Low

Not so good news for me and my motor. Guys I had installing it, too sloppy, didnt care about doing it proper way, wanted to argue w me when I knew better (thanks to people on this site), flex plate would have been installed backwards if I hadnt had been there at that exact moment (thanks Lonnie) and the list goes on. I swear I couldnt sleep and my stomach was in knots. So yesterday son said, Dad, you need to end this, done or not and get it home, lets do it right now, i have the time to help. Told them Id take over, and out came the tow strap. Its in my yard, blood pressure is down and I slept last night. Think about a high anxiety person anyway and add in a $4,100 motor install thats half assed and f...ed up all over the place and u can imagine. I think what theyve done will be alright. Next is prime oil pump, drop in distributer so I can turn crank and put in 3 converter bolts, then starter, carb and all the little things. He tried to mount alt like u see because so he could keep alt bracket that was on engine I gave him. (i do need to fab bracket a little,hole on my intake is 1/2in farther in than stock) **** like that that just stunk from every angle. Motor I gave him was shot and leaked from every orifice possible. It was a $200 motor at best so I got my monies worth from them. I watched them torque flex to crank at 65lb, it was done right, but when I asked to look at his yard sale torque wrench he was INSULTED, told him to get used to it and it went dodwnhill from there. But after all that, Im happy enough and slept like a baby. Two others wanted to do it for the old 350, I just picked the wrong one...Its all gonna be alright. You know, I believe mechanic work is the most bragged over, people say they can buildengines blindfolded, they put a cam in so and so and now it has 600hp etc. Why do they do that when Its gonna be so obvious when you make em back it up. You know what they do, they fake it and f... it all up instead of saying a simple, "i better ask someone for sure about this'. Its gonna be alright. Watch for questions and be ready to reply w an answer immediatly...lol[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #179
Sodell

Make sure you use a break in additive.

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #180
Old School Low

Of the hundreds whove given me suggestions on this rolle cam, roller rocker engine, you're the first to bring up a break in additive. I was going w a name brand 5 or 10 something. But if it's the thing to do.......I guess I do remember Joe Gibbs additives? brought up
Old 03-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #181
Jake Wade

I noticed the temp sensor is in the water pump, not the best place. I would install it in drivers side head between #1 & #3.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #182
Old School Low

Thats where I had it in old engine but 'they' said there was a prob w header. Ill check it out, I know it can be moved. Thank you Jake and thats whee it will be in next pic. My mech oil press line will go in 1/8 hole right next to dist? I was going to put it there tomorrow and run the tube through firewall to where I mount it. Soon as thats done Ill add oil and prime. Missing a long starter bolt, one compression thing for one end of oil tube and hole on alt bracket is 1/2 shy of reaching hole in manifold. Ill do something like saw off that tab and welld on new one. Do I have to use front bolt on cyl 1 header to add the little PS brace? If so gonna have to get long stud bolt thingy. need water pump pulley bolts, are they weird 5/16 thread? Ill get some at JY. Why all u guys gotta live so far away? Date I turn the key is set way back but Im relieved truck is home.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #183
Ozzy2013

Hang in there you are doing well if you need any more help feel free to pm me .Lots of guys have helped you along the way isn't this a great site?You will be so glad you did all of this yourself when you are done. This should be an awesome set up when you are done .I love the stroked motors and 400 small blocks been building them since the 80s.
Ozzy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #184
mud.man.rj

So getting the run around it sounds like, good for you getting it out of there. The alt bracket looks like a big block top bracket, lots of small block ones around, the temp sender as mentioned is where the other heater hose nipple usually is installed and the other at intake which is there as for an additive it is not needed for a roller cam but still nice to use for the bearings. I use one anyway, better safe than sorry. We are here to help as usual. Sounds like it is coming along alright now. That is one steep install price, I charge around $1,000 and most garages around here around $2,500. Good luck man.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #185
Old School Low

NO NO.......... install price was they kept the 350 motor... that was in it. No cash or anything else. I didnt get hurt there at all. They pulled engine, power washed, helped me put in coil springs and 80% done w install. I just re read my post and can see where I worded it not clear. Motor had at least 127,xxx mi and puffed blue when statrted. It was worth maybe $250.00. GEEZE..if others think that I was paying 4,100 for install Ill bet you're really feeling sorry for this old guy out here in Wash state. $4,100 is what I figure I have into motor. Can I edit that? (I had high class guys give me 500 to $1,000 quotes for complete install, but Im too smart for that, ol Kenny will get someone to do it for the old 350 and save some $ and come out way ahead of not so smart guys) STORY...OF...MY...LIFE.

Last edited by Old School Low; 03-13-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #186
Old School Low

Additive it is, what's a few more dollars. Sure can't hurt right? Thank u Sod. Any particular brand or type? Better hurry w answer people, Im super mechanic today and its gonna be light in about an hour.!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #187
Jake Wade

We need a progress report!
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #188
mud.man.rj

And pictures, we love those.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:56 AM   #189
Old School Low

Primed and distributer went in today. But another change..towing it to a for real Shop tomorrow. low rider, drag racers, custom rods, ran in to them today, hadnt seen for years. He came over and checked it out, said Kenny, tow this to our shop tomorrow, let me help u get it done. No bull**** super Chevy guys. They're for real and I dont know why I wont be driving it in a couple of days. (dont know if they;ll work on weekend) So watch for pics and progress in next day or two.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #190
Low Elco

Good news! Glad to hear it. You're in, should be no problem to sew it up and FIRE! Good luck! Pics or it didn't happen!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #191
Old School Low

"Pics or it didn't happen" I love it. Guess what my opening line is gonna be to the next guy who tells me.."yeah, last year I built a 600hp motor for my uncle's Camaro, I put a full race cam in it"..... I STG I heard this yesterday from my neighbor who asked me if he could borrow a 9/16 wrench! So I'll post these since once I wrote that I worked on my cab floor today! LOL (doesnt really look like it but all rust was sanded to bare) [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #192
Old School Low

When I showed them the linkage I ordered specific to my 750 Summit carb, he asked if I could get my money back, 'we fab our own",..thats the kind of talk I like to hear. (he did say if Im not going to send it back he would use a piece or two).
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #193
Sodell

Good to hear you have some one you trust to help you! Any one that builds and engine in his kitchen deserves some good help. ..It's funny, people are always bragging about the most ridiculous things. If there were as many 600hp daily driver (88 octane) engines, and special forces snipers as people seem to claim, this would be a pretty awesome place! LOL

Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #194
Old School Low

LOL..oh I appreciate your replies Sodell. I'll post progress report tomorrow night. Today, cut up some old doors for the sheet metal, making a little reach in, sandblast box. You KNOW it's lookin good. Mayb e when all done I;ll show it off.....maybe not
Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #195
mud.man.rj

Not sure the Special Forces snipers would make it a pretty cool place, the 600Hp would.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #196
Sodell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
Not sure the Special Forces snipers would make it a pretty cool place, the 600Hp would.
Well they are about as rare when you find a real one (either)..

Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #197
Old School Low

This is where I got metal to build little sand blast box. Was going to be lined wood but think I'll just tack this together and get rid of plywood[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #198
Old School Low

Wow, went around the world to get this photo posted. Just came from my truck, coming together awesome, vroom vroom tomorrow I think[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #199
Old School Low

I know more than just me are hoping I need these today. (three or four of you have kept me going with tips or many times just words of encouragement was all I needed) These were suggested as plenty good enough at $30ea. Many swear by them (for the price) when I surfed reviews. Somehow collectors got thrown in the "paint orange" pile. Oh well, if I can weld through bondo on door metal, sure I'll get through this paint. Might just clamp until it goes to muff shop for out the back tails. Ill figure out hanger to take weight off headers. They are fabbing brackets, torking bolts and lining up pullys as we speak. Can you say... "high anxieties"? And...probably only 61 Ford unibody mow trailer in the world?[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #200
Sodell

awesome news!!!