The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #26
sambudo

Re: steering column rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
The lower bearing might not be rebuildable, but mine was. There is a felt washer/seal and a C shaped clip that holds the felt in place. Make a paper cone to hold the ball bearings in place until you insert the bearing race. Then comes the felt and C clip. These pics were made to show how it goes together but YOU MUST USE GREASE when you actually rebuild it. Just sayin'!
This is exactly what I have been looking for, thanks lugnutz65. Does the clip just pop off and then the felt? So when I buy the replace met I can pop off the c clip felt pull out the balls and replace the race and other parts etc..

Upgrades: Power Steering
.......................____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
sambudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #27
Lugnutz65

The "C" shaped clip is fairly easy to remove. Gently work the felt out so you don't damage it. Inspect the ball bearings for pits. If they are pitted, then you should buy a replacement lower bearing. As best as I can tell, a NEW lower bearing is complete and ready to install right out of the box. Be sure to add GREASE. LOTS of GREASE!

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 04-21-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
sambudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
The "C" shaped clip is fairly easy to remove. Gently work the felt out so you don't damage it. Inspect the ball bearings for pits. If they are pitted, then you should buy a replacement lower bearing. As best as I can tell, a NEW lower bearing is complete and ready to install right out of the box. Be sure to add GREASE. LOTS of GREASE!
thank you do you use regular wheel bearing grease? Thanks

Upgrades: Power Steering
.......................____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
sambudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambudo View Post
thank you do you use regular wheel bearing grease? Thanks
Yeah, high temp grease is fine.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #30
KVB

I am rebuilding the column in my 65 GMC, and i am looking for a pic of the parts contained in the very upper portion of the column.

What hold the horn button in place?

What is required for the turn signal mechanism?

Any spacers?

Does anybody have an exploded view image of the upper portion of the column?

Thanks

Ken
KVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #31
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

One thing I've come to hate about this years of the trucks is the steering column.Like many of you.

Or all of us the blinkers or brake lights wont work.This column has a flaw.After 30's tears of use the column tends to brake down.

Most of there guys for get to menchen is to cut the spear down to the collapsible shaft.

Like most of there's guys know the steering shaft is a spear and in a head on with any thing that shaft goes in to your chest.

Now back to the steering column I've found out that the 1967--68 has a better column the turn single switch Is better last a hell of a long longer then the 1960--66.

You have to do some book work on the wire harness so it can plug and play into your under dash harness the 1969--72 seems to be the wont that works best with the adapter harness
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #32
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I'm in the process of putting mine back together.
I'm trying to find a thread with either a diagram or pics of how to put it back together.
Yes, I should have took pics before I took it apart.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #33
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I did find this thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=column

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #34
roll_the_dice

Old thread, but I need some help. I took my column out and was cleaning it up and noticed I had no bearings where the lower bearings are supposed to be...and according to above I have no retaining ring or felt. This is all I have...see picture. Now I have looked at many threads on this including this one...I saw the lower bearing to purchase, but how do I put the new bearing into the adjusting ring that has 2 bolts in it? I don't want to damage anything...so I am asking. Do I just press it out? Thanks!
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #35
roll_the_dice

OK, just for future reference of this thread...I ended up using a piece of 1" PVC pipe on the inside of the adjustment ring and only on the bearing case and slowly hammered it out. It was a nice size to hit only the bearing case. Now that I have the adjusting ring out, I can order the bearings and rebuild it.

This thread was invaluable to what I needed. Thanks to Lugnutz65 for the detailed pictures and LostMy65 for finding the exploded diagram with part numbers!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:18 AM   #36
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
OK, just for future reference of this thread...I ended up using a piece of 1" PVC pipe on the inside of the adjustment ring and only on the bearing case and slowly hammered it out. It was a nice size to hit only the bearing case. Now that I have the adjusting ring out, I can order the bearings and rebuild it.

This thread was invaluable to what I needed. Thanks to Lugnutz65 for the detailed pictures and LostMy65 for finding the exploded diagram with part numbers!
Check and make sure the shaft is not damaged. When I replaced mine, I had to weld on the shaft to build it up where the bearing was because it was significantly worn down from driving so long without a bearing in there.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #37
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
Check and make sure the shaft is not damaged. When I replaced mine, I had to weld on the shaft to build it up where the bearing was because it was significantly worn down from driving so long without a bearing in there.
Thanks, I looked and didn't see any damage, but I was planning on looking again before I reassembled. There is surface rust in that area so I may have missed it...I plan on cleaning that up as well.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #38
vince1

Classic industries sells a bronze bushing that can be used to replace the lower bearing. The one I used was a couple thou too large on the outside diameter. I used a collapsible shaft the same length that came out of a 67. Having to do it over again I would probably look at putting in a complete replacement column but now that it is done it works really well including the signals, which required a new switch assy.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #39
roll_the_dice

I ordered mine from classic industries...I don't remember it saying if it were brass or not though. I am supposed to get it next week.

I thought about putting in a replacement column, but decided to just redo this one.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #40
vince1

From an old Classic Industries catalogue the lower bearing (1960 - 68) is P/N C1003.

If you want the bushing instead of the bearing put an A behind the P/N so it becomes, C1003A.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #41
Nappers

I didn't have a bearing when I tore mine apart.

I was so broke, I epoxied the turn signal cancel back to switch and bought a copper flange bearing that fit the shaft and had to file down the flange to fit. My steering wheel rocked up and down terribly like you guys and now, solid as a rock.
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #42
c60clf

Thumbs up Re: steering column rebuild

I initially had same problem on my lcf after replacement of turn signal switch and bearing assembly.does your column have c clip at top bearing? Then loosen 2 bolts under column,at bottom bearing mine had spring, I loosened collar slid up snug pressing top and bottom bearing s in proper place. Hope this helps.
c60clf is offline   Reply With Quote