The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Thanks 99, will measure the seats. I'm at a point now where I have read so many S10 swap threads that I know I've seen certain things and can't find where I read or saw them. It certainly helps to see that parts are making their way to the 3100 cab and renewing a sense of progress. I'm mentally trying to check off the list of todo's for next steps and realized; with all these build threads there are gaps missing that I can't seem to fill.

For example, most people start with mounting the cab, but there seems to be a need to mount the front clip first since that really is the area that sets the stance and cab height. From there, the cab height can be adjusted.

One issue I'm having is JoeDoe's mention that I need to move the V6 engine back about 9.5 inches. I'm wondering if that is a requirement, or just a nice thing to do to fill in the 8 or so inches in front of the firewall. Knowing a V8 will someday live in that engine bay, I'd hate to fabricate all the mounting plates, driveline, exhaust, etc just to turn around a year later and do it all again. I'm hoping the V6 move can be avoided by possibly getting a low profile electric fan and radiator to fit the front end. I have had a hard time finding examples of engine bays with the V6 still in it. Everyone goes to sbc or LS

Everything else is coming along well. I'm working on sourcing good patterns for the cab mounts but I think it will come down to just throwing the body parts on and taking some measurements. I'm trying to get fairly low without losing too much of my bed depth and many patterns seem to ignore the desire for bed depth. The airbags can then take care of the rest sometime in the future.

Oh I'm also not sure if I should go and buy the wheels I need so I can figure out stance now or if that doesn't matter until later. Going with the Detroit steelies 20". My cousin's truck has then and they are sweet!

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride

Last edited by gigamanx; 06-13-2017 at 06:52 AM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote