The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
sprint_9

Door alignment

Ive read through a bunch of threads and nothing really like what I have going on popped up, so Im hoping I can get first hand help.

Currently Im mocking up my cab and front clip before I have everything blasted and get it into primer, kind of a trial run to see how many major issues I have.

The drivers side has gone together ok, not perfect by any means but I can live with it. The passenger side on the other hand is a different story. I can get a fairly even gap where I want it, and where its noticeable the gap is even so it looks ok. My problem is alignment in and out in relation to the cab and fender. I can get one to look good but not both. If I pull the top hinge of the door out, actually shimmed out as well, I can get a good alignment at the fender and cowl where it meets the door, but the very top of the door is out way to far, like a 1/2 inch too far and the back top half of the door is also out way to far, like even with the outer lip of the drip rail. If I push the door in at the hinge I can get the door to look pretty good, except for at the front where it meets the fender and cowl, Im in about a 1/2 inch.

Im really at a loss, Ive rebuilt my factory hinges, I have (what I think are undamaged) factory doors, my cowl and fender are maxxed on adjustment, and its not even close. The alignment from the factory was similar so I dont have much to work with Im afraid, but its not going to fly how it is.

As of right now my next step is to try again after some time off from it, take a step back and regroup. If that doesnt work I had thought about trying new hinges but I dont see how that will fix it. Its like the overall shape of the door is not bent right, maybe the door can be tweaked some, that or maybe I need a different door. If you have any ideas or thoughts please post up.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote