The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 AM   #3201
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Not the greatest pic, but I made a 80+ mile round trip in the truck after work. I need an overdrive...
Nice! Open road!

2500 RPM at 60 mph seems perfect to me, but then again I live in a mountainous area where one doesn't want the constant up-and-down shifting that an OD automatic does on steep grades. That's why I replaced the 700R4 I initially had in my panel truck with a TH350.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 05-17-2019 at 04:45 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #3202
oldman3

Mark, glad you could get out and drive...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #3203
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Mark, glad you could get out and drive...Jim
Me too Jim, trying to gain confidence in the build so I can drive to my brothers grave site in southern Minnesota without worry. The day is coming soon...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #3204
MiraclePieCo

More small improvements. I finally found one of the early '47-'48 style cast front hood emblems to replace my rusty stamped steel original. I'll probably paint the letters black eventually.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #3205
oldman3

Quote:
Me too Jim, trying to gain confidence in the build so I can drive to my brothers grave site in southern Minnesota without worry. The day is coming soon...
Mark, I know what you mean, the farther you drive the better you feel about your build, then you don't have to worry about "did I tighten all the bolts and nuts". You built a great truck, enjoy...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #3206
idbeast

Quote:
I'm sure he has been watching from above with a grin from ear to ear!!!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:51 AM   #3207
idbeast

I got brake fluid to all 4 calipers, and only had 3 leaks in all the new brake line pluming, 2 of which were on the master cylinder to proportion valve lines. I used a vacuum bleeder, so tomorrow I'll have my wife step on the brakes and re-bleed everything and double check all the fittings.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:22 AM   #3208
MARTINSR

I was dead on the couch tonight we are talking asleep watching a Hockey game. Just didn't imagine I could get out there and get anything done. I haven't been talking my evening walks as I have for the last 5 years and just HAD TO do that. So I got up and took a little walk, on the short side, about 2 miles. I got back with a little spark, went out to the garage for my five minutes and ended up getting all four door hinges ready for primer prep. You know how they have a metal cover on these trucks, those were all bent up and I was able to repair every one of them to metal finish without any bondo and ready for primer. WHOOOO HOOOOO! I did something!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:39 AM   #3209
la hi

I lost the 55-59 forum somehow! These postings are mostly 54 and under. Did the postings for tri-five move or did they dry up?
la hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #3210
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by la hi View Post
I lost the 55-59 forum somehow! These postings are mostly 54 and under. Did the postings for tri-five move or did they dry up?
WE dried up. All of us '55-'59 owners are sitting in our rockers staring at our truck parts, trying to remember what fits where.

(Seriously, there is no forum dedicated to '55-'59. This is it: the '47-'59 forum. The '55-'59 folks are all working on their stuff instead of gabbing on the forum. I'm going to go out to the garage after another cup of coffee and put my door hinges in. I don't post much anymore since Snapfish broke my photo account and I can't edit/fix my build thread.)
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 05-18-2019 at 11:48 AM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #3211
mobileortho

Removed another leaf from the rear (the three main ones remain). Can’t go any lower with this rim/tire combo.
Attached Images

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #3212
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Removed another leaf from the rear (the three main ones remain). Can’t go any lower with this rim/tire combo.
Just right!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #3213
MiraclePieCo

More puttering.

Got out my touch-up brushes and hand painted the logos in my hood emblem. Much better!
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #3214
MARTINSR

I got somewhere today with the hood. Been thinking about it and thinking about it and starring at it and starring at it and talking about it and talking about it! Today I walked out there and cut that sucker in half and removed the 2" strip. I got something happening!
Good:
It' started, looking good.
Bad: I am blown away that the cab is sectioned 2.5 inches and I cut the hood 2" and it looks like I should have left some at the front. I thought about it, thought about bringing the front down to an inch and a half or so to leave me metal to work with bringing the smaller top to the larger bottom. I didn't, and you can see that I should have! Oh well, There is a very good chance I am going to have to fab a strip of metal go make the two match anyway, so I guess it will end up being a moot point but damn I wish I had left another half inch to work with. The funny thing is at the cowl it doesn't look like it will even 2.5 inches! It looks like it will be less than that, odd the cowl is 2.5 but it really looks like the hood will be cut a little less than that, hmmmm.
I installed the hood bumpers on it, the fenders are aligned and all that just in case you are wondering.
So I have a 2" strip of the hood if anyone you know is wanting to return a sectioned hood back to stock, the price is right.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #3215
crossfire84

I really like it, I have 2 more hoods that I want to try it. I saw in a few magazines that 1 1/2" is the magic number, keep up the good work.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #3216
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
I really like it, I have 2 more hoods that I want to try it. I saw in a few magazines that 1 1/2" is the magic number, keep up the good work.
Understand that the cab is sectioned 2.5 inches.

Brian

Old 05-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #3217
Black_Sheep

Cleaned all of the bugs off after Wednesday night's drive and threw the cover back on. Rain through the weekend and into next week.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:26 AM   #3218
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got somewhere today with the hood. Been thinking about it and thinking about it and starring at it and starring at it and talking about it and talking about it! Today I walked out there and cut that sucker in half and removed the 2" strip. I got something happening!
That took guts!
Old 05-19-2019, 02:55 AM   #3219
idbeast

I didn't have the guts of MARTINSR but I did get the old lady to help bleed the brakes! Then I found and got the gas pedal installed and adjusted, then while looking for the gas pedal found a new carpet for truck, so I set it in place just to see! then I crawled around installing some wiring under the dash, and the got the cruise control turn signal lever out to install in the Ididit Column tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 AM   #3220
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Good:
It' started, looking good.
Bad: I am blown away that the cab is sectioned 2.5 inches and I cut the hood 2" and it looks like I should have left some at the front. I thought about it, thought about bringing the front down to an inch and a half or so to leave me metal to work with bringing the smaller top to the larger bottom. I didn't, and you can see that I should have! Oh well, There is a very good chance I am going to have to fab a strip of metal go make the two match anyway, so I guess it will end up being a moot point but damn I wish I had left another half inch to work with. The funny thing is at the cowl it doesn't look like it will even 2.5 inches! It looks like it will be less than that, odd the cowl is 2.5 but it really looks like the hood will be cut a little less than that, hmmmm.
I installed the hood bumpers on it, the fenders are aligned and all that just in case you are wondering.
So I have a 2" strip of the hood if anyone you know is wanting to return a sectioned hood back to stock, the price is right.

Brian
Brian: I think your hood slope is nearly perfect. Why don't you just make some relief cuts in the lower part at the front and tap it in to meet the upper part?

Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #3221
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Brian: I think your hood slope is nearly perfect. Why don't you just make some relief cuts in the lower part at the front and tap it in to meet the upper part?

...like I said in post #3176, more or less. Lookin' GREAT !!
Old 05-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #3222
MARTINSR

That's basically what I am going to do. The thing is the top may need to come down a bit further to meet the bottom. Remember it's sitting right on top of it now in the photo and they are a half inch apart! So bending them out and in to match, there will still be a gap between them so the top will need to come down a bit more. THAT was the mistake I made, should have left more, I thought a half an inch was enough, and it wasn't.

Brian

Old 05-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #3223
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
...like I said in post #3176, more or less. Lookin' GREAT !!
Sorry I stole your idea. But great minds think alike!
Old 05-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #3224
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Sorry I stole your idea. But great minds think alike!
No, it's all good! It's just that I seldom get things right...
Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 AM   #3225
MARTINSR

Ok...............................I got to working on the hood and have decided to go in a different direction. You can see from my first few photos I have marked the center of the hood up on the cowl, marked and cut a few relief vertical cuts. I then split the hood into pieces so I could work with one piece at a time. Then after working with these pieces a bit bending at the relief cut and wrestling with it, I have decided to go a whole different direction. As many people have suggested I am going to bring the top forward, and split the front out to line up that cut around the front. I will then tack it here and there, bolt the rear of the upper pieces together and then once it's tacked into place I will split the front center, cutting it along the body line where the center moulding goes as I plan on using it. I will bring the center strip together and filling the gap to the sides of the it. I will then add to the rear of the hood making it long enough. I didn't want to do all these welds out in the center of the hood but heck, I ran the seam through the middle of the roof gas welding it with zero warpage I can pull this off damn it!

Brian
Attached Images