The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
OldJimmy57

Talking Need help on rear end length and install.

First off since i talked to most of you on this board my plans have now changed. I have a 57 GMC Big Window long bed that I was gonna cut up and mod. But I figured since the truck had been in the family since 1956 that it wouldnt be right for me to go cutting it up. So instead i bought a 1955 Swb stepside chevy with a big back glass to start with. Now here are my questions. I want to put a Heidt's 4 link parallel bar kit in the rear to get the rear end down on the ground and to ride better. I will also be installing a Ford 9 inch rear end in this truck. Now I need to know what offset on the tires i need to go and also what length I need to tell the shop to cut the rear end to. I will tell you guys what I would like to run. I want some 15x12 or 15x14 rims in the rear.
OldJimmy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Lots of things come into plaw here.
Your best to get the rear mount the wheels and tires on it then measure the width.
Even the tire you select can impact the width.

Your gona tub the bed for those wide wheels, right?
Another option is to buy 2" or 3" wider FG rear fenders and steps.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
OldJimmy57

I was thinking about tubbing the truck. That wont bother me too bad at all. I am just wanting the fatter tires and the narrower rear end. Dont know about the wider rear fenders and steps though. I have seen them in the magazines for brothers but I havent seen them on anyone's truck yet. Does anyone happen to have a pic of the wider fenders installed on a truck?
OldJimmy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

you will not be able to fit more than a 10" wide wheel in the rear because of fender width. thecan get 3" wider fenders to help, or you can tub the bed some. if you have the wheels you want, use the fender lip to fender lip distance and measure back the distance of the wheels. this will let you know how much the tub needs to be. for the ford rear you need the offset of the wheel and then measure rom mounting point to mounting point. i hpoe i have said this correctly. hard to put in words.....

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote