The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
qbeanie

1957 Bellhousing crossmember

A recent post stated that the bellhousing crossmember is required to maintain the rear cab mount integrity. It was also mentioned the front spring mount is attached to this member. I was going to remove this crossmember to allow more clearance for my 700r transmission but i am rethinking that. Can this crossmember be removed by cuttng the rivits and installing bolts? Can this member be trimmed and then boxed? Please share your experiences. Thanks.
qbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
mikebte

Re: 1957 Bellhousing crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbeanie View Post
A recent post stated that the bellhousing crossmember is required to maintain the rear cab mount integrity. It was also mentioned the front spring mount is attached to this member. I was going to remove this crossmember to allow more clearance for my 700r transmission but i am rethinking that. Can this crossmember be removed by cuttng the rivits and installing bolts? Can this member be trimmed and then boxed? Please share your experiences. Thanks.
I removed mine on my 59, installed bolts and have been fine. 0 issues, but I added a crossmember on the rear of my transmission and one for my engine mounts. Just my experience.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:13 AM   #3
dsraven

when I removed mine for a frame boxing exercise I had to cut it to get it out. removing the rivets wasn't enough. not enough room to get it outta there. 57 gmc.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
when I removed mine for a frame boxing exercise I had to cut it to get it out. removing the rivets wasn't enough. not enough room to get it outta there. 57 gmc.
Agreed, I split the member down the center followed by grinding off the rivets and punching them out with a hammer. No easy foot to remove, but it can be done.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
capnduane

On my 55 2nd V8 I cut the crossmember about 6in on each side, from the frame, and removed it. I have a full circle aluminum bellhousing and could not access the clutch with the crossmember in there. Like Mike, I have a crossmember at the rear of the trans and under the mid of the engine as well. Been a couple of years, and no problems yet....