The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
58SkuzBukit

So I bought a Helix IFS kit...

I know, I know. I PROBABLY should have done more homework, but it's here now, and I'm not going to pay shipping and restocking fee. It's going on my 58. Don't scold me too bad. Lol.

Does anyone have experience in making good measurements on notching the CM and top hats? Is the main idea to get the lower CA to be parallel to the ground at ride height? The kit I got is a bagged kit.

The stuff doesn't look that bad. The welds on everything I received were left untouched. And looking on the back side of the welds looks as if there is adequate penetration. My only complaint is the bubbly rotors Johnny law sent (we're working that issue), and the lack of sway bar, but I'm gonna fab my own kit and adapt it in.
58SkuzBukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: So I bought a Helix IFS kit...

When I bought the crossmember and A arms that I have from Welder Joe another of the outlets for the Hoffman group stuff I emailed them and they emailed me the drawings for setting it up.

I think that with a bit of searching you can find the plans/instructions for installing a MII front end in your truck that are clear enough so that you can follow them.

Here is the Heidts instructions from Speedway http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf...9%20Heidts.pdf

Welder series also has some universal instructions that might help. They are truly universal instructions that require the reader to do a lot of work on their own following the instructions. http://www.welderseries.com/instruct...s/WS14340N.pdf

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
58SkuzBukit

Yea, Jim from Johny law motors sent me a set of instructions, but wanted to tell me over the phone a different way to do it, which kinda confused me. Sounds like the instructions he sent should be sufficient.

I'm about to get started on the install, but would like to know 100% exactly what's going on, and what to avoid before I blindly start taking my truck apart.

Thanks for any pointers.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
mphudak

I also ended up w/a Helix kit. Bought it blindly, and was delivered Helix. Had to get a 2nd set of upper's, but over all I'm pleased w/the kit. I'm mounting to a Speedway crossmember, which i suspect should be the same/similar to the Helix one. 2 things i am doing. 1st, changing the ball joints. 2nd, i added a brace to the rear of the lower control arm to take the stress off the crossmember. Not picking on helix, but it's a flaw in general Mustang II crossmembers that do not use the strut rod. To much unsupported stress on the crossmember can lead to a failure. This isn't mine, but you should get the idea of what i did.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #5
vics stuff

I also bought a Johny Law IFS kit which is from helix. I do see that the welds are going to be needing tig welded over the top just to clean up the suspension. As a fabricator by trade do see that the welds do have good penetration but could have preped welding area with splatter shield and that would make clean up much easier. The guy to talk to if you have any issues or questions is John in the tech department. He claims that he has installed many of these front ends on these trucks. I also confirmed his claim with 2 other guys in this company . he seems willing to share any information needed to install these corrtectly and cordial to talk to.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
dw @ ws

Hi! Just came across this thread and wanted to mention a few things. Congratulations on your purchase. I hope it works out well for you.
Our instructions are meant to guide someone through installing our crossmember. They're not generic Mustang II crossmember installation instructions. I wouldn't want you to use our instructions on a Helix kit and have something turn out wonky. Helix should be able to support their products.
This may be helpful to you: http://www.welderseries.com/blog/tec...make-your-own/.

Hope the install goes well!
DW Horton
Welder Series Inc.
dw @ ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
58SkuzBukit

Thanks for the comments and pointers. I think that I've got a pretty good handle on how I'll attack this thing. I'll document with some pics and post em, hopefully in two weeks or so. Wish me luck...
Old 12-16-2015, 03:27 AM   #8
mr48chev

I had that one saved on my old laptop DW but went brain dead trying to think of it.

Someone has a diagram that shows the measurements for the control arm mounts top and bottom and the distance between the plane of the upper A arms and the lower A arms Again saved on my old laptop and not too accessible. That is one thing a guy with a universal kit needs to know and get right.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote