The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
ClevsChev

51-54 rear cab mounts

Hey guys, new to the forum and have been loving all the information on here.
I just got a 53 chevy sitting on an 82 s10 frame. Nothing was ever mounted so the cab was just sitting on the frame. Anyways the previous owner who was going to do the swap cut the stock rear mounting shackles off.

I was wondering if there was anything compatible I could pull off of something or if anyone knew a cheap place to buy them?

Thanks in advance
ClevsChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
vintovka

Re: 51-54 rear cab mounts

I just finished removing the shackles off the rear of my cab. I was able to use sections of synthetic decking (choicedek 3" worth) as spacers between the frame and cab floor. I did reinforce the floor and use grade 8 bolts. The decking seems to have the right resiliency and damping quality.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
ClevsChev

So you just removed the shackles and used spacers with a bolt going to the mount? Through the reinforced floor?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevsChev View Post
So you just removed the shackles and used spacers with a bolt going to the mount? Through the reinforced floor?
Yes. I took care that the spacers flat against the chassis and against the floor. I used 4" squares to allow more than adequate surface contact on the chassis and the full 4x4" support to the cab. I used a 1" square heavy tubing under the cab in front of the spacers and 3" diameter washers with 1" washers on them to spread the force on the bolt heads in the cab. The square tube plus (+2") washers to secure the seat belt floor anchors. FWIW i reinforced the cab front mounts using heavy 3" c channel over 12 ton resilient machine mounts. Rides fine and the annoying sway of the shackles is gone. Some who use expensive adaptors and mount probably will not like this.. It does calcs out as 150,000 pounds of shear resistance.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #5
ClevsChev

I am making the rear mounts later this weekend.. If i made them taller couldnt I just cut out using any spacer and bolt the mount straight to the cab?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #6
vintovka

I would put something in there to prevent metal to metal contact/noises. Maybe something thin, durable and some resiliency. Tough rubber, Delrin plastic maybe? Think something like that was originally ued on front cab mounts. A rubber/plastic bushed area around the thru mount? Reinforcing the cab bottom is what i would do. I defer to the s10 guys for final word.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
whitedog76

I'm not a big fan of the cab shackles either. Seems like there should be something better.

The shackles are there to prevent "frame jacking". Which simply means, to keep the frame from beating the crap out of the cab when it flexes.

This mount you can get from Speedway, Chassis Engineering, or other retailers.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...FQx_fgodyv4KaA

Here's a trans. mount from a Ford Taurus that I'm using. It's $8 a piece.
Attached Images

whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
mr48chev

If you are ordering some parts from Rock auto they sell the motor mount biscuits for Ford F-1 pickups dirt cheap. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tor+mount,5552

You need two pieces for each mount but can get out under 10 bucks for the rear of the cab.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote