The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #26
Route-66

Re: Is this truck worth the money?

Whoa! I blew up the engine compartment photo and I discovered a MotorCraft oil filter on a small block Chevy? Is this even possible?

Route-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #27
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
There ALWAYS is. Just like rust all you are seeing is the tip of the iceberg.
..Wow,,,now that's what I call a PISSamisstic attitude ol buddy LOL
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #28
ratty69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route-66 View Post
Whoa! I blew up the engine compartment photo and I discovered a MotorCraft oil filter on a small block Chevy? Is this even possible?
Yes it is. Looks like a pre-68 block that someone converted to a spin-on filter using one of these adapters.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans-Dapt/969/1024/10002/-1

If using a ford filter bugs you, adapters also exist that use the Chevy filter.
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #29
El Dorado Jim

I think it is worth the money, short bed trucks bring alot more than longbeds....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #30
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob View Post
..Wow,,,now that's what I call a PISSamisstic attitude ol buddy LOL
It's called reality

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #31
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

I would buy it! Except I am looking for just a rolling 4X4 log chassis lol
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #32
Route-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty69 View Post
Yes it is. Looks like a pre-68 block that someone converted to a spin-on filter using one of these adapters.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans-Dapt/969/1024/10002/-1

If using a ford filter bugs you, adapters also exist that use the Chevy filter.
Thanks ratty, that had me a bit concerned.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #33
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

The "Rebuilt" was probably in reference to the carburetor after the backfire that burned the patch on the hood. Would I buy it? Hell yes and if you pass just PM me the contact info and it's done. Appears to still be sporting the 6 banger radiator.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #34
nds1968

Hey Route-66,

You need to educate yourself on what these trucks cost to buy and fix. Get yourself some parts catalogs and look through them so you get a general idea of what parts cost. Then when you go and look at a truck make a list of what parts you think it will need to get it in the condition you prefer.

I looked at about 10 trucks over a 2 year period before I purchased another 67-72 truck. I only made on offer on one other truck. I offered a thousand less than what he wanted, I called him 2 days later to negotiate but he had already sold the truck. That gave me an indication of what they were selling for.

A truck that you can't test drive, I consider it a project and that lesson's the value when I'm looking... Good luck, Nate

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #35
67/Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob View Post
I'm not too good at checking out these trucks, I take my body man with me. but I'm curious..how can you tell there is more bondo just by looking at this pic?
Take a magnet, wrap it in a paper towel as to not damage the existing finish, (whatever it may be) and run it up and down the body, if it has bondo you will .

I paid 5500 for mine, rust free, a southwest truck all her life, but still with a straight six, tott, no ac, however, I do think you have a solid foundation there for the price if the rest of her is rust free or limited rust. Take the plunge, its all about time, dedication, effort and some money soon you will have it to the condition that you want. Enjoy driving her, they are a lot of fun.....

Last edited by 67/Heaven; 04-15-2017 at 02:50 PM.
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #36
Orange67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route-66 View Post

Motorcraft is a parts manufacturer, just like ACdelco. They make parts for every make and model on the road. Yes, they are owned by Ford, but that fact wouldn't bug me. I'd rather see that brand than a lot of others....

And as for the cash for this truck, I personally would pay it, but others may not. I was offered 3500 recently for my 67 C20. I was flattered....

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #37
Wrenchbender Ret

I think the truck is well worth the money, but a lot depends on how much of the work you can do yourself. If you have to take it here & there to get work done it could turn into your worst nightmare.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #38
70cst

To me its a very competitive priced truck.

Rust is or can be expensive to repair and this doesn't have mid-west rust.

Nice engine and tranny.

If you like it - I would pay the price.

Good Luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #39
steveo3318

I just converted to a full wilwood disc disc booster, master, and all disc. Swing by hattiesburg, MS and I will GIVE you my perfectly working d52 front calipers, whole rear drum calipers, and factory booster and master. all in working order.

I only converted because I pull a large car hauler and needed a little more brakes, not because anything was weak or hurt. Buy the truck
4/6 drop with riddler 20x8 and 20x10
1957 S5T Leslie Supertyfon train horns and EMD bell
"No bolt left unturned"
steveo3318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #40
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtnb View Post
It looks like a cool old truck to me, but I would look the cab over good before I paid $4100. By the looks of the pedals and floor mat, I would assume it is a low mileage truck. The engine being bolted in the six cylinder position would lead me to believe it was originally a six cylinder.
good eye, the engine is sitting way back with the big shroud like the 4x4's...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #41
Route-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo3318 View Post
I just converted to a full wilwood disc disc booster, master, and all disc. Swing by hattiesburg, MS and I will GIVE you my perfectly working d52 front calipers, whole rear drum calipers, and factory booster and master. all in working order.

I only converted because I pull a large car hauler and needed a little more brakes, not because anything was weak or hurt. Buy the truck
That's a very generous offer and I appreciate it very much.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #42
Ken B

I'd have to lean towards saying the guy is right in the ball park on his price. Rockers with bondo don't bother me if the rest of the cab is decent.. The truck has an overall nice look to it which tells me it hasn't been overly abused thru the yrs. Like someone else mentioned, the MotorCraft oil filter doesn't bother me in the least. Its a hell of a lot better than a lot of other filters on the market these days. If you can, remove the oil cap on the valve cover and have a peek in there with a flash light. If its nice and clean it doesn't guarantee you that its been rebuilt but it is a good indication the engine has been maintained. Without receipts there is really no way to tell if its been rebuilt but if it doesn't leak oil or smoke when you start it, no ticks or knocks and seems to run strong then that is usually good enough for me.. If I bought that truck I'd fix the mechanicals and the rockers and run it as is.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #43
Daves70

What is the sellers contact info? I will buy it just from the pics. All kidding a side that truck is a great starting point and the price is right in the ballpark. These trucks have value now and if it were for sale 10 years ago it would have been cheap. The engine if it runs good and is clean inside then I would put that in the plus column. A good running, clean and unmolested engine is better than a rebuilt one in my opinion. Finding a project truck that is completely rust free doesn't happen any more and that one looks to be not too beat. At least I haven't found one that good in a while. Again if you back out,PM me the sellers contact info.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #44
Oregon 1967 GMC

Go for it bro if your ol' lady doesn't mind. It'll keep you home and entertained for hours.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #45
lil hoodlum

What are great looking truck! I think the price is more than fair. If I had the extra cash, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this little gem.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #46
Signkutter

I bought a C20 72 LB with no rust or body damage to speak of along with a rebuilt 700R4 tranny, it had a 396 in it needed a rebuild...bought it for $2k...not as in demand as the C10 stepside though...maybe thats why I got it cheap
Signkutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #47
Che72vy

2k would be the deal of a lifetime here in Michigan for a 72 C20 like the one mentioned above. As far as the truck in question, I'd be concerned about the fact that the truck can't be test driven. How do you know the condition of the transmission without a test drive. Why doesn't the dude put a master cylinder on it so it can be driven? Seems like it would be worth it unless he doesn't want people to know how it drives. Probably worth $4k but I would not be surprised if it turned into a money pit. Hopefully the OP has plenty of disposable income or it may wind up sitting in the back yard like a lot of project trucks.
Che72vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #48
Hubscrub
Cruzin

On thing for sure it's not "drivable" as it has no master cylinder so no brakes Lol. Probably needs a door bottom repalced also. I agree with ledzepp there is always more rust to find.
For your area I think it's somewhat overpriced. There is usually several on craigs in the the tn,al,ga. area. But it's your money do what you want.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #49
Route-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che72vy View Post
2k would be the deal of a lifetime here in Michigan for a 72 C20 like the one mentioned above. As far as the truck in question, I'd be concerned about the fact that the truck can't be test driven. How do you know the condition of the transmission without a test drive. Why doesn't the dude put a master cylinder on it so it can be driven? Seems like it would be worth it unless he doesn't want people to know how it drives. Probably worth $4k but I would not be surprised if it turned into a money pit. Hopefully the OP has plenty of disposable income or it may wind up sitting in the back yard like a lot of project trucks.
We actually did drive it down the country road, slowly, so I could hear the transmission shift and hear the rear end. He just used the emergency brakes.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #50
Che72vy

It shifts and the e-brake works. Two good things anyway. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Che72vy is offline   Reply With Quote