The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
72kool

Cam help needed

I'm looking to do a vortec head swap and looking for some advice on parts. First, I'm having the heads cleaned and checked over. Aside from valve seals, anything on the heads I Need to have replaced?
I'm trying to keep the heads stock due to budget, what is the max lift of cam I can use on these heads? Any recommendations on what cam to use? The goal is to add some umph to my stock 72' 350. Looking for torque above anything. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Cam help needed

I would suggest an XE-262 Comp cam, as the max....but do use the Comp springs suggested, with the kit...not chev stockers! .462/.469 lift, should be in the realm of the vortec heads, & the cam should have a hint of a lope @ idle, but still run a stock converter. With the vortec conversion, you will the intake swap to go, as well as the rockers. If I missed anything, the rest of the good guys can help longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree with Longhorn. That will be a nice cam in a basically stock 350. Even with the recommended springs for the cam, the retainer to seal clearance should still be checked. If I remember correctly you should be able to reuse the stock Vortec retainers and locks with the 981 springs.

If all of that is just totally out of the budget, have your machinist check your retainer to seal clearance and then you will know just how much valve lift you can get away with running the stock Vortec springs. However I can tell you that going with the XE262 cam will be more impressive that what you will be stuck with running stock springs.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #4
72kool

I read this article about the comp cams new beehive style springs that are made to use without machine work. Anybody heard about these? Any thoughts on them?

If I installed these, would the cam choice change?

I am trying to be budget friendly, but I'm also a "do it right the first time, save money in the long run" kind of guy.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-26915-16

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotro...g-upgrade/amp/
Old 10-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
72kool

Also, if it helps, I'm going to use the Edelbrock performer rpm intake. Unless you guys would suggest something that might work better with a select cam
Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #6
PGSigns

I have the L31 crate engine and it is a vortec head. I have the XE-262 in the engine and ran the duel plane for a while. Now I have a super victor on it with a holley 670 street avenger and it runs really good. The duel plane suffered some issues with a couple of holes being a tad lean and the engine not liking much timing. Also had some vapor lock issues with the thunder avs eldelbrock on it. All that improved with the super victor.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
6768chevylover

was thinking of switching to this cam but they advertise 477/480 lift. Im guessing this is a ball park figure from comp?
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I have the L31 crate engine and it is a vortec head. I have the XE-262 in the engine and ran the duel plane for a while. Now I have a super victor on it with a holley 670 street avenger and it runs really good. The duel plane suffered some issues with a couple of holes being a tad lean and the engine not liking much timing. Also had some vapor lock issues with the thunder avs eldelbrock on it. All that improved with the super victor.
Jimmy
Quite possibly the first time I've ever heard of a single plane high rise, high RPM racing intake "fix" a lean issue and smooth out low end torque.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
garyd1961

I have the L31-R crate engine with stock cam and a Summit stage 1 duel plane intake. It doesn't like a lot of timing but it runs great. I don't believe any vortec engine likes a lot of timing from what I have read.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Using the beehive springs is nothing new. But for a mild build and mild cam, they are not necessary. Plus the cost will be considerable more that just using the 981 springs that are recommended for the XE262. You did say that you were wanting to keep the heads stock due to a budget. Using the 981 springs are about as close to stock as you are going to get and still run a better cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
I read this article about the comp cams new beehive style springs that are made to use without machine work. Anybody heard about these? Any thoughts on them?

If I installed these, would the cam choice change?

I am trying to be budget friendly, but I'm also a "do it right the first time, save money in the long run" kind of guy.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-26915-16

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotro...g-upgrade/amp/
Old 10-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #11
72kool

Do you have a full part number for the 981 springs? I didn't find any suggested springs for that cam when I looked it up. Do you have to do any machine work to use those?
Old 10-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The number 981 is the part number, but if you want a full set it is 981-16. Some will say that the outside of the valve guide bosses need machined, but I have installed them without any machining. Also machine work may be necessary if there is not enough retainer to seal clearance for the lift of the cam. The machine work should not be that expensive. just talk to your machinist before you just assume. Go here and click on 'suggested parts'

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...38-2/overview/

Here are the springs

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-981-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72kool View Post
Do you have a full part number for the 981 springs? I didn't find any suggested springs for that cam when I looked it up. Do you have to do any machine work to use those?
Old 10-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
cadillac_al

Isn't there a cheap kit to fix the .480 lift issue? I thought it was just different retainers but it may have been beehive springs and retainers.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I'm glad this thread popped up. I have a new crate L31 sitting on a engine stand waiting to go into 70 C30. I was contemplating a CAM change to get a little more out it. This might be the answer...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes the beehive springs and a specific retainer will give you quite a bit more valve lift capability. Some beehive springs are $$$$ and others not so much. Some guys use a standard spring and retainer and do what is known as a 'ghetto grind' which is basically just grinding the bottoms of the retainers yourself on a bench grinder. Then there are springs, retainers and seals from Alex's Parts. But I have heard a few negative things about his springs not being what they are supposed to be.

https://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spr...rf-hyd-roller/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Isn't there a cheap kit to fix the .480 lift issue? I thought it was just different retainers but it may have been beehive springs and retainers.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #16
PGSigns

Gary the super victor for the vortec is not that big and the port shape is about a perfect match. My race engine builder does a lot of circle track stuff and a bunch of crate engines and he is the one who said try it. I had the performer RPM on it and when I tried the super victor I was surprised. He had the dyno experience to back it up and it does work.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote