The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #101
oldchevynut

Re: Plasti Dipped the '67

Step'67,

New member here, first time I've seen this thread.

Excellent thread. Thank you for sharing.

Couple questions...

Can you use an old school non HVLP gun to spray with or does it have to be HVLP?

I am restoring my '67 to be a nice daily driver. Is it reasonable to think I can plasti-dip my new paint with clear and glossifier to help protect the paint from daily abuse, have it look reasonably similar to the paint job, run it that way for however many years it lasts, then peel it and reapply when it needs redone?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #102
69Rumbler

Plasti dip
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #103
oldchevynut

Good looking truck, I assume that is clear over a nice paint job?
Randy
Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #104
Step'67

Thanks for posting your pictures guys, your trucks look awesome! I'm glad you are happy with the results Haggis, and I've got to say I'm impressed with how it looks considering it was rattle-canned, great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchevynut View Post
Step'67,

New member here, first time I've seen this thread.

Excellent thread. Thank you for sharing.

Couple questions...

Can you use an old school non HVLP gun to spray with or does it have to be HVLP?

I am restoring my '67 to be a nice daily driver. Is it reasonable to think I can plasti-dip my new paint with clear and glossifier to help protect the paint from daily abuse, have it look reasonably similar to the paint job, run it that way for however many years it lasts, then peel it and reapply when it needs redone?
You can do this indeed if you wish to. Some guys buying their cars brand new decide that they want a matte finish but like the car's original color, so they spray the entire vehicle in clear to get that matte/satin look. Personally, I probably wouldn't do the entire truck if you're going to paint it anyways. If you do this, you will end up with the same slight rubbery texture over the whole truck (not glass smooth), and possibly hiding a beautiful paint job. Now, if you are okay with that, then by all means spray on! What I would suggest though, mask off the front section of your truck where rock chips and what not are most likely to occur, and spray clear/glossifier there. That way it acts as a clear bra, protecting you from rock chips and bug spatter, while still being removable down the road. Just my $0.02

I've never tried spraying it with a standard gun, only HVLP. I would suggest checking the DipYourCar forums and I imagine someone has at least posted about their results with such a gun. But you can buy decent HVLP guns pretty cheap now, under $20 from Harbor Freight (or other options from Eastwood if you aren't a fan) that still yield great results. I recently sprayed my interior satin black with a HF HVLP, couldn't be happier with the results. If you have a standard spray gun, I'd say go buy a container of Plasti Dip in the tin cans they sell for dipping tool handles (found in the spray paint section of HD/Lowes), thin it 50/50 with the Naptha/Xylene, and see how it goes. Worst thing that happens is you have to peel it back off your test surface
Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #105
69Rumbler

Haha my truck is plasti dip no clear over the paint it's all dip . You can't even feel the texture what so ever .. I'm going to add gloss and peal to it by the time I take it to brothers
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #106
oldchevynut

Thanks for the replies. Exactly the type of information I was looking for to make my decision. Randy.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #107
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice thread! Thanks for all the info. My 76 might be a candidate for this.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #108
ianw31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rumbler View Post
Haha my truck is plasti dip no clear over the paint it's all dip . You can't even feel the texture what so ever .. I'm going to add gloss and peal to it by the time I take it to brothers
Do you have anymore pictures of this?