The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 4x4

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
conoco

Front axle ujoint questions

I just finished putting a 4 inch lift and a bunch of other stuff so I was just going to replace the brakes and calipers also. However, as I started to disassemble I noticed that everything could use a good sandblasting and bearing replacement. I need help identifying the rubber seal that sits on the axle shaft and then the dust guard is installed in front of that. (PICTURES BELOW). all the bearing look great and nothing bad so I wont be replacing them. The axle ujoints are a different story though. They dont have the little C clips ontop of the ujoints and I am hoping someone can tell me how to get them out so I can replace them. Also is there a heavier duty ujoint to replace it with or a recommended one that you all have had good results with. I am going to sand blast the axle shafts and dust guard and all the other rusted stuff. On a side not the truck ran smooth, no wobbles, u joints were solid no problems at all. But they are in desperate need of some maintenance. Any help so I can get the right parts would be great. Stay safe everyone.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #2
conoco

Re: Front axle ujoint questions

Close up of the rubber seal
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2020, 01:16 AM   #3
Jcfcamaro

U joints have snap/C clips on the inside. Just did mine and it was a pain. Those u joints press hard. I did find a YouTube video where they actually use a hammer and beat on the opposite yoke to drive the other one off. Tork king is a good place to look at parts.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:19 AM   #4
Jcfcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
U joints have snap/C clips on the inside. Just did mine and it was a pain. Those u joints press hard. I did find a YouTube video where they actually use a hammer and beat on the opposite yoke to drive the other one off. Tork king is a good place to look at parts.
I don't remember which seal kit it was but it came with the rubber dust seal. I bought mine from rock auto.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:31 AM   #5
4x41971SWB

Yukon gear and axle #YSPSP-025
Summit racing has them in stock
Old 04-21-2020, 01:38 AM   #6
conoco

Thanks everyone I will get started in the morning. Appreciate the help.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
MJN

As it was stated the u-joints have clips on the inside of the yoke ears. If you have access to a ball joint press- they make changing these quick and easy. I only use Spicer U-joints, non greasable. There are two different size u-joints for Dana 44 axle shafts, the early open knuckle (pre-73) used Spicer 5-260X which have smaller u-joint caps. The later axles used Spicer 5-760X which are larger. They are both 1310 series joints. As far as the slinger- you can get them here https://torqueking.com/product/40460...shaft-slinger/

I've also had great service from www.northerndrivetrain.com- they will drop ship from Spicer as well.

Might as well replace the spindle bearings while you're in there too, along with all the seals. Pickup spindle bearing kits, part number SBK-1. This kit will have the spindle bearing and both rubber seals.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
Old 04-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
MJN

Spicer makes a more extreme duty axle joint as well but not sure if they're available in the 260x.
https://spicerparts.com/parts/drives...treme-u-joints
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
Old 04-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
As it was stated the u-joints have clips on the inside of the yoke ears. If you have access to a ball joint press- they make changing these quick and easy. I only use Spicer U-joints, non greasable. There are two different size u-joints for Dana 44 axle shafts, the early open knuckle (pre-73) used Spicer 5-260X which have smaller u-joint caps. The later axles used Spicer 5-760X which are larger. They are both 1310 series joints. As far as the slinger- you can get them here https://torqueking.com/product/40460...shaft-slinger/

I've also had great service from www.northerndrivetrain.com- they will drop ship from Spicer as well.

Might as well replace the spindle bearings while you're in there too, along with all the seals. Pickup spindle bearing kits, part number SBK-1. This kit will have the spindle bearing and both rubber seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
Spicer makes a more extreme duty axle joint as well but not sure if they're available in the 260x.
https://spicerparts.com/parts/drives...treme-u-joints
Lots of good info and part numbers here. Should be moved to the 4x4 FAQ Index
Old 04-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

discussion thread is located at http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...27#post8721527
Closed Thread